Realistic Trilian Bass Programming

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
I'm looking for tips and advice to make Trilian Bass sound as realistic as possible. Also, which bass do you recommend for metal?

I'd love to hear what others have to say but I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't cut it against the real thing. I really wanted it too, but after lots of experimenting I found it never really sits in the mix the way it should. The deal breaker for me was when I put it head to head against a terrible old bass with four thousand year old strings. It's hard to explain exactly, I hope you get what I mean, the actual tone produced by trillian was miles better but when it came to mixing there's just something about it that doesn't work. It just doesn't sit well in the mix.

Don't get me wrong, I love trillian and use it all the time. It's perfect when writing or you need a decent bass track quickly. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

I'd love to hear what others have to say but I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't cut it against the real thing. I really wanted it too, but after lots of experimenting I found it never really sits in the mix the way it should. The deal breaker for me was when I put it head to head against a terrible old bass with four thousand year old strings. It's hard to explain exactly, I hope you get what I mean, the actual tone produced by trillian was miles better but when it came to mixing there's just something about it that doesn't work. It just doesn't sit well in the mix.

+1

It actually can be done for metal, and quite well. Problem is that there are so few samples in the Trilian library that fit the need. The fretless ones work best I think for it. I use Waves CLA Bass to get a good grit to it so it sits a bit more distinctively, but thats just more cash that could be dropped on a real bass.

If you know how to programme and process it properly it sounds amazing. I've done a whole album with it on a major UK band release earlier this year. PM me if you want to know what band it was for.

+1. trillian sounds good enough, but needs lots of compression, eq etc. etc.

To achieve the most realistic sound with trillian make sure you adjust every single velocity so it's different from the last (like what you would do with a programmed snare roll), it will sound more realistic and natural. You will be surprised when it's played back in the mix!

Trilian sounds awesome dude. Just like mentioned above, change the velocities around to get more realistic results that don't sound so robotic. Try changing the velocity of every single note, but have them be slightly different. This creates a constant variation between the sound too. I also recommend writing out your bass parts in Guitar Pro if you have it, and then exporting that track as Midi and using that for Trilian.

Trilian articulation sounds great but all trillian bass guitars are boomy in a mix, specially in metal. You can get decent results playing with velocities+automation. Trillian+distortion+velocities make cool gritty tones though. I still prefer a cheap bass with new strings over any trillian model for rock/metal, I lose less time with it.

yea I'm always struggling to get a balanced low end with trilian. Even if you use just the d.i signal it has a massive low end that will overdrive any shit that you try to run it thru... I always have to put a mean HPF to control that boom and still can't sit it well in a mix, looking forward for some tips about this too :loco: