Really Need Crits for Contest Guys!!

Vice//Versa

Dude among dudes
May 5, 2013
California
Metalsucks and Metal Injection started a contest for "heaviest breakdown" and I thought "what the hell". I could use some input so I can do some corrections (there's a couple things I want to change but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say). Cheers!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I'm entering this contest too. My breakdown is absolutely insane, haha.

On topic, your breakdown is a really nice groove, though I don't think it will qualify as the "heaviest", haha. But perhaps that wasn't the idea! Snare is very solid, good work. Overheads sounds weird, like it's pumping a bit? Perhaps a little more bottom in the kick! :)

Really good mix, the guitar tone is good. It's played will and the mix is full. I would have to agree it's not that heavy, but it's good. The snare great. What bass drop and processing did you use if you don't mind me asking? It sounds great

Bahah, the second one made my day! Holy shit I can't stop laughing! I love how the mix is overdriven!

Bahah, the second one made my day! Holy shit I can't stop laughing! I love how the mix is overdriven!

Haha, you mean mine? You should see my Podfarm-patch, the drive is maxed out on the amp and not one, but THREE screamers in front with each of them has 100% gain. : D And like, 8 or 9 bassdrops... Haha, I had a lot of fun!

Yeah, It is pretty good! You should include the Apple car crash sounds bands like through Arteries mix with the bass drops, just incase you were worried about the breakdown being a little weak!

Really interesting, the guitarist of Bermuda told me a few things he did to make a real sludgy breakdown even heavier is to take the breakdown, play it twice more, this time with the guitar turned down a step and a half, then pan them in a little bit (I tested it and 75% worked really nicely) and lower the volume so you the get the feeling that it's a lot heavier and sludgier than it is. The song they did it on was "In Trenches" after the motherfucker part.

Thanks guys! I always have issues with toms, I might use other samples instead of SSD or check my chain again. The drums and bass are the corrected versions of my last post where I think the difference between the snare and cymbals is more obvious. I used some reverse snares bounced to a folder where I keep all the fx crap, it has multiple reverbs and stereo fx to the same snare you hear in the song. Synths are multiple nexus patches eq'ed to fit together as one. The bass drops are from some in this thread(thanks abaga129 btw :) )http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/875374-free-bass-drop-samples.html

I guess the breakdown isin't "conventionally" heavy... i was thinking more about a anodyne sea sorta heavy.

I like how tongue in check the second breakdown is lol best of lucks man, cant wait to see the results.

Thanks tmitchell33 for the advice on the last threat, re-looking at my drums (specially the snare and cymbals) was a great step forward! thanks for the kind words

Remember I must be original stuff written and recorded for the contest, you're not supposed to used previously released breakdowns just in case it's a fragment of something else... not sure how they would find out never the less.

Personally, I think that distorting and over saturating your low end like that is probably not a good idea but that might be a stylistic choice. My multiband compressor would probably tame it even if I wanted to go that route lol

I overdrive everything at my VCA group bus! The harmonics make the low end more audible without boosting the level! More of a chango style sound than Joey though!

VCA tries to replicate analog saturation (distortion) from consoles. Digital saturation or other distortion methods don't work the same. Maxxbass is the only thing I would put on a bassdrop. I put decapitator on all my drums to make them sound less harsh and give them some subtle warmth but I dont push it too far cuz I don't want my stuff to sound like old trivium records lol