really simple answers only, vst plugins for DAW

ozzy92

New Metal Member
May 1, 2012
i am not completely new to mixing tracks but am very out of touch, i know how to use stock eqs,comps etc etc im literaly just looking for some recommendations on what vst plugins i should invest in for mixing, small bedroom studio everything is gonna be di as i live near a train track and micin up is not an option. all im looking for is what ever i need for a good mix :p anything that will help me get a better soundin mix budget is not too much of a problem but not lookin into any hardware. any help would be huuuugely appreciated.

thts an expensive echo man haha ill consider it though, is it good for all round mixing or does it sit better on specific instruments?

thts an expensive echo man haha ill consider it though, is it good for all round mixing or does it sit better on specific instruments?

I use it on everything. Guitar solos, vocals, strings, synths, anything that needs ambiance, etc.

I had someone recommend DMG's equick. Honestly after he showed it to me it looks like a great eq.

Fab filter's pro q also looks like a really nice eq. All of my eqs are more of the specialty reality so I'm considering one of these in the future for all around eq purposes.

Waves Audio, hands-down.
They have emulations of some of the most famous hardware units in existance, and even emulate some of the UAD stuff. They are very faithful, and some are extremely easy to use, yet there are some which might require a degree in Mix Engineering, but there is something for everyone no matter their experience level. Pros of the some very famous Bands use these, (Judas Priest, Foo Fighters) just to name a couple, mostly for live stuff but are just as usefull in the studio. Check some demos out and see for yourself.

Waves Audio, hands-down.
They have emulations of some of the most famous hardware units in existance, and even emulate some of the UAD stuff. They are very faithful, and some are extremely easy to use, yet there are some which might require a degree in Mix Engineering, but there is something for everyone no matter their experience level. Pros of the some very famous Bands use these, (Judas Priest, Foo Fighters) just to name a couple, mostly for live stuff but are just as usefull in the studio. Check some demos out and see for yourself.

Fab Filter products. Good quality, nice interfaces (unlike Waves), no shitty iLok dongles for licenses management (unlike Waves).

Their EQ is great (Pro-Q), so is the Compressor (Pro-C). If you have the money, I think they are great products.

Fab Filter products. Good quality, nice interfaces (unlike Waves), no shitty iLok dongles for licenses management (unlike Waves).

Their EQ is great (Pro-Q), so is the Compressor (Pro-C). If you have the money, I think they are great products.
For me, the only problem with Pro-Q is that it has unlimited bands, so you can spend hours tweaking them. More knobs(bands)=less music. But I still love FabFilter Saturn, awesome plugin.

My favourite eq is fabfilter q-2. The interface is very nice,you have a bunch of control on the frequencies(you can mute the selected bands,work on the stereo image but on the m/s one as well) and is not extremely expensive. I use it in every mix. Talking about fabfilter products, pro-C is very good as well with also the side-chain option(I use it very often to glue kick and bass in the mix). An another fabfilter product that I use is Saturn,a multiband saturation plugin with the unique feature of saturating selected bands,independently. It's very useful with the bass to make it strong in the mix and avoid to make more tracks of the same bass DI,especially if you are working in a dense mix. Waves audio has really outstanding plugins,pretty expensive though. Usually I work with c-1 compressor,rbass and c6 multiband compressor. If you're interested also in amp sims,for guitar Bias amp is my ready-to-go sim,together with mark bass 2 by overloud. You can check my mixes as reference to those plugins:
https://soundcloud.com/matteo_raccone