Reamp bass through guitarhead. Basscab??

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hello,

I know it has been asked before but anyway.. :)

Should i use a bass cab, or can a guitarcab handle the amount of bass a bassguitar gives? Im reamping for some cool dist.

Cheers

Maybe you can try to capture the distortion though the guitar amp and mix that with the DI for the low-end?

Hello,

I know it has been asked before but anyway.. :)

Should i use a bass cab, or can a guitarcab handle the amount of bass a bassguitar gives? Im reamping for some cool dist.

Cheers

From my days at guitar forums the rule was always don't put a bass through a guitar cab, the speaker could blow out.
Now don't know if its actual true or not as the musician crowd is not really known for their knowledge in electronics haha.

Anyway, guess you could high pass it a bit before sending it out and you should be fine ?

just make sure whatever you do, only connect a bass head to a bass cab, and a guitar head to a guitar cab. the wattage and impedance between guitar amps and bass amps can vary significantly, so just be aware of that so you don't blow anything up.

edit: I've recorded a bass guitar through my od808>5150>mesa os cab before at moderate volumes, no problems. The mesa cab is known for it's low end response, so I'm not sure about other guitar cabs.

I often play my bass through a guitar head hooked up to a bass cab. I advise AGAINST using a guitar cab. I really fucked up the speakers in one of my carvin cabs by running my bass through it. Run the bass through whatever, just use a bass cab.

My Spector 5 string sounds awesome through the tubescreamer -> 5150 -> Mesa oversized 4x12 chain with the treble control on the bass dimed. Never noticed any problems with the speakers. I've only done this at moderate volumes though... never very, very loud.

I enquired at the Peavey amp forum about this a while back. Word from the tech's is that it's ok to put a bass through a guitar head, but not through a guitar cab. Use a bass cab and you'll be fine. Pretty sure the bassist from Nickelback runs his bass through a XXX actually for distorted stuff.

There shall be no problem when playing trough guitar stack at reasonable level.
I prefer to split signal in two and send them trough bass rig and guitar rig so I can blend clean/distorted sound.

PS when using bass cab with guitar amp, HF driver may be a big issue, so choose cab with adjustable driver.