Reamp problem

whitedamp

Aug 28, 2006
Brazil
I swear I´ve read all the 69 threads on this board with the word "reamp" on the title and couldn´t find how to solve my problem. :erk:

I bought a John Cunibert ReampV.2 (www.reamp.com) to reamp my bass tracks through a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. My soundcard is a Line6 Toneport KB37 (it´s exactly like a Toneport UX2, but with a MIDI keyboard) and I´m using Nuendo 3 as DAW.

I´ll describe step by step what I´m doing to help you identify any mistake:

I´m going to track my bass through the BDDI, and record its processed signal and clean DI on Nuendo.

I set Nuendo to receive:
BDDI XLT Output (processed signal) on the Mic1 Input (green track)
BDDI Parallel Output (clean DI) on the instrument input (blue track)

So far so good.
Now I want to reamp the clean DI (blue track) with the BDDI, and I expect to get the exact same result as the already recorded processed signal (green track).

Now I create a new track (orange track) on Nuendo to record the reamped signal exactly like I did to get the BDDI processed signal before (green track). I solo the clean DI (blue track), set the reamp (orange track) to record and press REC.

The result is this

As you can see, the reamped track signal is VERY low. And this is my problem.

If I raise the TRIM knob on reamp it completely fades into silence. If I raise the Toneport Mic1 preamp (or use Gearbox to add gain) I get a better signal, but it adds noise and "color" to the tone. I think that a reamped track should sound exactly like if it was a real bass guitar sending the signal (like the green track). Am I missing something here? Is it normal to get the reamped signal so much lower and have to throw a preamp to boost the signal before hit the DAW again? I think that I´m doing something wrong here, because if the reamp signal is so low, how come they even put a trim knob on it?

Please, help : )

...and sorry for making another reamp thread :/

Well since the reamp is a passive device, you should have the knob all the way up (if you don't already). Also, make sure you're sending the reamp signal in MONO out of one output (or if you have to select a pair of outputs, pan it hard one side or the other).

I think your problem is that the DI signal coming from your DAW into the Reamp unit is too quiet. The picture of the signal doesn't look very loud, it should be peaking pretty close to 0db. Raise the fader in Nuendo on that channel until the sound getting re-recorded into the new track is at the same level as the original processed track.

Thanks for the replies. I think that this reamp box is broken : /
I´ve set Nuendo to just use one master output (the left) and didn´t touched on the fader to avoid any mistake with gain or pan. Nuendo output fader is banging around -12dB with peaks on -6dB, and I can clearly hear the DI track playing through the headphones, so the signal is really going to Reamp at a good level. I disconnected the cable from Reamp´s output (to BDDI´s Input) and plugged into my bass. It works just fine, so the problem isn´t BDDI also... Which leaves only the Reamp box. It´s output clearly is not sending the signal at the same level as the bass. Actually not even on an audible level. To see it coming on Nuendo input I had to max all the levels on Toneport´s preamp and use the Gearbox processed input with all gain settings on max : /
The crap thing is that I bought it online from an USA store and the delivery cost me $35. Damn.

Damn dude, that sucks - so you have the level all the way up on the Reamp? It's such a simple gizmo, I can't think of what could go wrong with it, and it looks pretty damn well built...

I'm loving all these pictures, by the way :lol: - here's a guy that knows the right way to ask for help! :)

Damn dude, that sucks - so you have the level all the way up on the Reamp? It's such a simple gizmo, I can't think of what could go wrong with it, and it looks pretty damn well built...

Actually it doesn´t have a level knob. I mean, the only knob is the TRIM, that is set at 11 (the max). I tried to open it to check if there was some wire with "bad contact" (don´t know if this is the right expression in english) but this thing is so well built that I can´t even open the case. It has two screws around the input jack. I removed then and nothing openned. Then I saw this weird two-holes screw on the bottom but I have no idea on how to remove, so I thought "OMG PWN3D! This looks like that box from Hellraiser."

I guess I'll have to send it back :erk:

I just did another test with a weird result. While I was trying to reamp again with that chain:

I unplugged the Toneport cable (the purple one) and plugged it on my bass, so the chain became:

And the sound of me playing bass was actually being sent to Nuendo with a good signal level. Wasn´t the Toneport output suposed to have a hotter signal than my bass pickup output? This test shows that the Reamp isn´t ducking all signal that comes into it, just when it comes from Toneport (that happens to be the only one that matters). Now I think that the blame is from Toneport´s analog outs, altough they work without any problem with my active monitors. Ok, this thing is fucking with my head. Need to sleep.
Anyone here ever used a ReampV.2 with a Line6 device?

Hey man here are some suggestions since I have the reamp v.2 and a toneport (although I have never used the toneport so I will just apply the same idea that I use on the mbox when I am to lazy to plug in the firepod)

DIME the output on the UX2 when you reamp (and use headphones so you don't get and weird feedback through monitors).

I'm sure you already have this covered but make sure the cable your using from the output of the toneport to the input of the reamp is a balanced TRS-->XLR or TRS--->TRS.

Make sure the clean DI track's output is at 0db and the master fader is also at 0db (since your using the main outputs to reamp).

Make sure you have the record dial in gearbox dimed and THEN set the mic gain.

Let me know if you need pics. I doubt the reamp is fucked, those things are built so damn solid, there isn't a whole lot to them (a transformer a few resistors and capacitors on a simple PCB and that is it). I have definitly dropped mine from about 8 feet up on a hard wood floor and that shit is still going strong.

It's 3am and I am at work but I could try this when I get home at 10 and report back if your still having issues.

This is one of the best threads ever. Your diagrams = EPIC WIN!!!

I don't trust Line 6, their devices are rushed to market with cheap components. Find a used PreSonus FirePod, they are excellent and work great with the Reamp. I'm on their users page, incidentally (Reamp's that is):

http://reamp.com/users.html

Seriously though, Line 6 needs to help you out with this one and go to bat for you, or you need a full refund and get the PreSonus.

Seriously, my answer is still valid here dude. The sound coming from your Toneport's output is not as loud as the sound coming from your bass. Just look at the waveform in your DAW! It should be TWICE that big! Did you even TRY adjusting the fader volume? Even just normalize that track. That IS the problem man, I GUARANTEE it.

Dude... I´m so embarassed. I was doing all these tests yesterday late at night, so I was monitoring though headphones. Toneport has individual volume knobs for the analog outs and for the headphones, and I didn´t even noticed that the analog output knob was almost on zero. I mean, I was so busy looking to EVERYTHING - Nuendo meters, the bass, the cables, the Reamp, the BDDI, the mic pre amp level, the windows volume mixer - that I was too dumb to realize that between the Nuendo fader's output and the Reamp box was the Toneport Output volume knob. And now I realized what Metalstatic was trying to say when he wrote:
you should have the knob all the way up
I thought he was talking about the TRIM knob on Reamp.
Anyway, I´ve found a new use for Reamp:

Thanks for all the replies and I´m really sorry for the stupid thread.

Actually no, you were right, I was talking about the trim (I just didn't know that's what it was labeled as, I use a Redeye for my reamping), but I'm glad you figured it out! :)