Reamped vs. Non-Reamped (clips inside)

Which is the reamped clip and which sounds better?

• The second repetition is straight into the amp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
Question:

Does reamping have a positive, negative, or neutral effect on your tone?

Do you prefer a reamped or non reamped tone?

Here is a clip I recorded. I wasn't going for anything creative, or fantastic, or even an excellent tone, but you guys can be the judge of that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569935/REAMPED VS NON REAMPED.wav

The signal chain for one of the two repetitions is:

Dean Vendetta with Duncan Distortions->DI Box->thru output->Maxon OD 820 Pro->Dual Recto->Recto Cab->SM 57-> FF800 Preamp

The output of the DI box went to my FF800 Preamp as well, for recording the DI.

The other reptition's chain was the following:

FF800 Output->Ebtech Hum Eliminator->John Cuniberti Reamp V2->Maxon OD-820 Pro->Dual Recto->Recto Cab->SM 57-> FF800 Preamp

Which repetition (the first or the second) is the reamped tone, and which is the original?

Which one do you like better?

You can vote once for which tone you like better, and once for distinguishing between the two methods of recording.

THE ANSWERS ARE:

CLIP A= STRAIGHT IN
CLIP B= REAMPED

well, without looking at anything first, wouldn't the introduction of reamping in any signal chain be less than desirable than mic'ing the conventional way? Basically, does reamping, whether it be hardly noticeable or not, degrade?

edit: I think the first set is straight into the amp, at least with the view that I posted above ^. But in saying that, I think the first time around was too bright, and the reamping tamed the harshness. That is, if my "theory" is true. lol

^ exactly the same thing he said, the second clip sounds much more clear, which is due to what im assuming is the time to tame those frequency's when reamping

well, without looking at anything first, wouldn't the introduction of reamping in any signal chain be less than desirable than mic'ing the conventional way?

I don't know. That is a question that has to be answered entirely by you. This test, as mentioned, was done as scientifically as possible. The same DIs were used. The DIs were recorded while I was playing the riff that was recorded straight out of the amp. The reamping was the exact same performance.

But in saying that, I think the first time around was too bright, and the reamping tamed the harshness. That is, if my "theory" is true. lol

This would completely contradict the first half of your post if the first take were the amp and the second was reamped. I don't think clip two is less "bright" than clip one, I just think there are frequencies that were slightly less emphasized througout the treble range (simlar to notching out 7khz from a guitar; it doesn't become less bright, it just has less content in that minute frequency area), which doesn't take away from the real treble content, but moreso character.

^ exactly the same thing he said, the second clip sounds much more clear, which is due to what im assuming is the time to tame those frequency's when reamping

There were no second takes or moving of mic position or eq'ing at all here. This was the exact same signal from the exact same performance both straight into the amp and reamped. There was definitely a difference between the two recordings, but which is better?

There were no second takes or moving of mic position or eq'ing at all here. This was the exact same signal from the exact same performance both straight into the amp and reamped. There was definitely a difference between the two recordings, but which is better?

wow really? I think the second clip for whatever reason is much more clearer and distinguishable. You might be onto something lolzgreg.......

on its own id say the first one is better...but i see the 2nd one being better in a mix...i have no reasoning for this its just what came to mind when listening

This would completely contradict the first half of your post if the first take were the amp and the second was reamped. I don't think clip two is less "bright" than clip one, I just think there are frequencies that were slightly less emphasized througout the treble range (simlar to notching out 7khz from a guitar; it doesn't become less bright, it just has less content in that minute frequency area), which doesn't take away from the real treble content, but moreso character.

That's why I said my hypothetically if my theory holds true. And I understand what you are saying. So instead of degradation, which I was saying, you are saying frequencies are less accentuated in the second clip.

I'm interested in finding out the results. :)

I'm gonna disagree with these guys and say that the 2nd half sounds more narrow and focused, while the first sounds nice and thick. I prefer the first, definitely think I'd rather have that width and depth to it to work with in the mix.

I'll guess it goes 'amped' -> 'reamped.'

I also say that those pickups are gayer than you, Greg, and you need EMGs!!! listen to that gross top end fizzywizzy.

First riff is direct and second riff is reamped.
I think it makes sense that the reamped take will have some attenuation of the high frequencies because each A/D and D/A stage is accompanied by a filter which cuts off the high frequencies.
The first riff has a more "live" sound to it and I find that the subtle articulations in the guitar playing come through clearer.

First riff is direct and second riff is reamped.
I think it makes sense that the reamped take will have some attenuation of the high frequencies because each A/D and D/A stage is accompanied by a filter which cuts off the high frequencies.
The first riff has a more "live" sound to it and I find that the subtle articulations in the guitar playing come through clearer.

Agreed but to me there is also some taming in the low end of the second one. It's almost as if it had a hi pass filter or a second tubescreamer.
It definitely sounds slightly less boomy and fizzy to me.
But I'd venture to say you could get a similar clarity by adjusting the EQ of the first clip so even though I voted that I liked the second better I think it's an unfair comparison.

In general to me, real guitar signals sound much more complex than reamped signals. So there is definitely some kind of loss in the reamping process, but coincidentally the loss appears to be desirable :) But you could argue that the character is lost.

I think it makes sense that the reamped take will have some attenuation of the high frequencies because each A/D and D/A stage is accompanied by a filter which cuts off the high frequencies..

Not applicable. You might some ultra-highs from that but not what you're hearing here.

I don't know which one was re-amped. None of the things I'd be listening for are preserved when they go through a high gain amp. I prefer the first one although it would need HP to sound good. Sounds more idk, lively? More like a real instrument and less like a load of electronics.

So i'm gonna go the logical position based on that and say 1 is direct, 2 is reamped.

edit: it'll be funny if we're all wrong :p