Reamped vs. Non-Reamped (clips inside)

Which is the reamped clip and which sounds better?

• The second repetition is straight into the amp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah i dig em, i find though that compared to the 81 i get more distortion outta the Duncan Distortion and less bottom, nowt that i can't sort out on the amp!!

They slay compared to the likes of the Dimebucker, which i will agree is overly harsh and brittle.

Most clips i have posted on the forums of my own stuff has been done with the Yamaha with SD D Distortion in it!

Not applicable. You might some ultra-highs from that but not what you're hearing here.

I think it could be applicable,

A high gain valve amplifier is not a linear signal processor in the sense that the output spectrum has frequency components above and below the input spectrum. This means that the ultra high frequencies in the guitar signal produce distortion frequencies in the "presence" and "treble" region of the spectrum.

yeah i dig em, i find though that compared to the 81 i get more distortion outta the Duncan Distortion and less bottom, nowt that i can't sort out on the amp!!

They slay compared to the likes of the Dimebucker, which i will agree is overly harsh and brittle.

Most clips i have posted on the forums of my own stuff has been done with the Yamaha with SD D Distortion in it!

Dimebucker sounds great in one of my guitars. Dean Explorer. I had one of my very seasoned friends over here playing it through my Dual Rectifier, looked at the guitar and said NO WAY THAT'S A DIMEBUCKER IN THAT GUITAR.

Clips will follow.

I think the first one sounds slightly more chunky, but not that much. I guess it's the non-reamped one. I wouldn't be able to tell them apart in a mix.

The only way I could even tell them apart right now was by switching really quickly between them.

Could variance in signal level be a primary cause of the tone difference? How did you ensure that the signal level was exactly the same going strait from the guitar into the amp vs the reamped signal going into the amp?

^still makes a big difference IMO. The amount the signal slams the front of the amp plays a big part in saturation. You would need some sort of meter before the input to make it 100% valid test. The amp could also change over time, how long it's plugged in, tube degradation (on a minute scale), tube warmth, voltage inconsistencies. Then all of the conversion as stated before.

I think it's not a big deal. If a tone sucks, then it sucks! If it's good, it's gonna turn out good.

^still makes a big difference IMO. The amount the signal slams the front of the amp plays a big part in saturation. You would need some sort of meter before the input to make it 100% valid test. The amp could also change over time, how long it's plugged in, tube degradation (on a minute scale), tube warmth, voltage inconsistencies. Then all of the conversion as stated before.

Even though I agree, thats so much shit that at that point I could give a fuck less haha

i'm not on monitors right now (will check later in the studio & also vote then), but first impressions here are:

first is direct, second is reamped.
i agree the second one sounds slightly more narrow, especially in the highs. the loss of high end is one of the things that i associate with an added stage of ad/da conversion.
i do however think that in this particulary example the second one sounds better, and more mix ready.
on the other hand, my guess is that once you're involving post processing, lp/hp and a slight HF notch to tame the fizz mainly, the first one might end up better.

OT: which dean vendetta do you have there? i have a transparent blue dean vendetta 4 with dimarzio pickups, which has been my main guitar for a long time now. loving that thing to death. right now i'm favoring my new jackson dkmgt with emg's, but well, it's a new guitar lol.

edit: one more thing i noticed that somewhat gives it away: you said you used a noise supressor on the reamped file. after the first repetition you can hear some amp noise, which you don't after the second one.

Fragle,

I happen to like the second better, but you probably wouldn't hear the difference in a mix.

on the OT question:

I have a Dean Vendetta 3 with Duncan Distortions. I love it. I'm getting Will to build me a very similar guitar, but with all of the modifications I want.