Reamping with Kemper (weird interferance noise)

GabeFry

Apr 18, 2008
Ok, so I've researched for hours how to properly setup my reamp chain. I'm recording Spdif out into my Profire 2626. I'm sending the dry signal to my spdif out back into the Kemper. Then I'm recording the signal from my spdif out of the kemper into my profire in which I arm and record a new track. I've also synced my Kemper as the master on my Profire as well. I've got some kind of interference noise, or distortion (you can hear especially at the end of the following clip). Anyone know why I might be hearing this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2103035/Guitar reamp fail.mp3

Bizzump,

If someone could just listen to the last 2 seconds of the clip and let me know what they think the issue might be?

Are you using a proper SPDIF cable? Had had problems like this before with an API pre and they were solved by using a proper SPDIF cable not just an RCA cable.

It would also be worth trying to simplify your chain, even if it's just for testing. Unless I miss understand, you've got the guitar plugged into your interface then you spdif out to the kemper? I'd start by plugging the guitar straight in to the kemper and work back from there.

Yeah, I've got new SPDIF cables, and still having the same issue.

Are you using a proper SPDIF cable? Had had problems like this before with an API pre and they were solved by using a proper SPDIF cable not just an RCA cable.

It would also be worth trying to simplify your chain, even if it's just for testing. Unless I miss understand, you've got the guitar plugged into your interface then you spdif out to the kemper? I'd start by plugging the guitar straight in to the kemper and work back from there.

So the last phase of troubleshooting was to try a new interface. I scored a Focusrite Saffire 56 for $460 on GC used! Thankfully the saffire resolved the issue.