Reaper Users and Drum Samples

So that sampler might be way better than what I was thinking.
But let's be realistic, that's still a very complicated approach and for someone that want good natural results into one efficient GUI and easily tweakable, I'd still advocate to stay with Superior and try finding an SDX that fit your needs.

But that Reaper sampler looks good ;)

Yes it can take some time to build that, but you only have to do it once and save as a template. After that, it's easy to change different samples there.

But finally, you BELIEVE!!

Reactions: H-evolve
I have tried it yesterday, that ReaSamplomatic5000 (awesome name btw) and it is relatively easy to use, at least from the test I did (one sample only). I still have no idea how to use "Multichannel samples" and actually, I don't know what a multichannel sample is!

I have purchased the Armageddon Kick from Seraph and it is suppose to have 4 intensity levels. There are 4 wav files in the zip I purchased, but importing them to RS5K, they look the same, and I wasn't able to really have 4 different intensities. They all sounded the same (hard kick drum hit).

I'll need to work on this a bit more! I'll actually try the template you send this weekend!

I have purchased the Armageddon Kick from Seraph and it is suppose to have 4 intensity levels. There are 4 wav files in the zip I purchased, but importing them to RS5K, they look the same, and I wasn't able to really have 4 different intensities. They all sounded the same (hard kick drum hit).
I'm quite sure that those all 4 samples are at the same velocity, just different hits.
If you need different volumes of one sample, then change "Min vol" to min.

But those 4 samples should be used in different "Round-robin" layers, then that kick won't sound like a machine gun, because it's not playing that same sample all the time.

I'll try to explain... :D

1: Add 4 samplers to kick track
2: Sample 1 goes to first sampler, 2 to second......
3: Change "Probability": 25, 33, 50, 100 (1st sampler 25, last 100)......
4: Click to that "Round-robin" box in every sampler
5: And Click to "Remove played notes....." box in samplers 1, 2 and 3

Now, when you play kick note (35 or 36 usually), it doesn't always play that same kick sample, and sounds more realistic.

I'm quite sure that those all 4 samples are at the same velocity, just different hits.
If you need different volumes of one sample, then change "Min vol" to min.

But those 4 samples should be used in different "Round-robin" layers, then that kick won't sound like a machine gun, because it's not playing that same sample all the time.

I'll try to explain... :D

1: Add 4 samplers to kick track
2: Sample 1 goes to first sampler, 2 to second......
4: Click to that "Round-robin" box in every sampler
5: And Click to "Remove played notes....." box in samplers 1, 2 and 3

Now, when you play kick note (35 or 36 usually), it doesn't always play that same kick sample, and sounds more realistic.

Right! I think I understand what you mean! That's one nice way to make it sound more realistic!

Usually metal kicks are not that dynamic, and you get only 3-4 samples of hard hits.
So yeah, pretty sure your 4 samples are intended to be use randomly in a round robin pool, and not for a specific velocity range each.

I checked Reaper manual when we spoke about this sampler,
Aren't you supposed to put this parameter on 25% for each sample, if you use 4 samples and want them to be randomly picked ?
Because putting the probability on the last sampler/sample at 100%, it will always play that one sample only.
Or am I missing something ?

Calc%2012%20RRs%20Rounded%201.PNG

Was reading it again and you're right !
Shown here is a simple arrangement for the snare track, with two instances of ReaSampllOmatic5000, each containing a separate and subtly different snare sample.
For both instances round-robin and Remove played notes from FX chain MIDI stream have been enabled. For Snare 1 probability is set to 50%, for Snare2 100%. This ensures that during
playback each of the two instances (and therefore two samples) will be used alternately, in rotation. If
in this example you had three samples rather than two, probabilities would be set at 33% (1 in 3),
50% (1 in 2) and 100% (1 in 1) respectively.
Don't really understand the logic behind this, but that's the way to do it yeah :)
Really curious to hear/try a multisampled kit set up with this !

Was reading it again and you're right !

Don't really understand the logic behind this, but that's the way to do it yeah :)
Really curious to hear/try a multisampled kit set up with this !
I'll upload something to soundcloud maybe...Later :D (that 8ch kit I recorded)
It's not the best sounding kit for metal music, works better in doom/rock/anything "old school". But that's what I actually wanted, something really realistic. 8 mics, kick, snare T, snare B, T1-T4, OH (Yes, one overhead)

Not sure should I share that kit here or not.......Maybe kick and snare........Because it took 2 days to record and edit everything, almost 600 8ch samples.

Nice,
Just a demo clip of dynamic playing would be great, just to hear the realism.
And some raw multi tracks out, just a few bars, would be even better, just to hear the bleed on individual tracks and all that stuff ;)

I played a little bit with your method this last weekend and I have tested your 4 samples round-robin probability thing with my Seraph Kick drum samples. It seem to work quite well! Now I'll try with other components!

Thanks again for all your help henryjarv

Reactions: henryjarv
Have you tried that template yet..? There should be those round-robin layers for all drums, and cymbals too.

Cymbals work better with at least 2 layers, even if samples are same in both. Because if you only use 1 layer and play notes with different velocities, it can sound horrible because low velocity sample stops that previous high velocity sample, and that's not how cymbals really work...

So, with two layers, that high velocity sample can still play while you hit low velocity.

Hope you understand :D But if don't, just try, and you see (hear) what I mean.

Have you tried that template yet..? There should be those round-robin layers for all drums, and cymbals too.

Cymbals work better with at least 2 layers, even if samples are same in both. Because if you only use 1 layer and play notes with different velocities, it can sound horrible because low velocity sample stops that previous high velocity sample, and that's not how cymbals really work...

So, with two layers, that high velocity sample can still play while you hit low velocity.

Hope you understand :D But if don't, just try, and you see (hear) what I mean.

Not quite yet! I opened it and played with it a bit, but I haven't had enough free time to fully implement it into an existing song we have. But I don't think I'll have any problem making it work! :)

BTW other free option would be Drum Gizmo. Amazing drum vst sampler. A bit fiddly to set up your own drum set but works amazing.

Multi-channel sample means that in single hit sample it has baked more channels (stereo = 2channels = mono + mono) aka all mics in one sample. Reaper works grate with multi channeling.