Reaper!

-Gavin-

Gavornator
Jul 21, 2003
Oulu, Finland
Okay so i started using this out of curiosity and have just spent the day learning it!

I wouldn't change from sonar to it but i could honestly get used to this and have put it onto a 4gb pendrive for if i'm ever anywhere to work and there isn't a daw i like.

Anyone else uses it? I know mutant does!

I fucking LOVE the routing.

Only thing i can't get used to is the FX... I love having a list of FX on each channel and not opening another window.

when they sort that, i'll be set on reaper i think!

I've been trying out Reaper, and even though it misses some things I love about Cubase (especially the drum editor), I'm seriously considering switching to it. A week back I came up with an idea for a song, and recorded the whole thing right then. Quad tracked rhythm parts etc. When I had recorded the guitar and bass tracks, I made sure the project was saved, quit Cubase and went to get some lunch. When I came back, one of the gtr tracks was full of strange dropouts and slowdowns that weren't there when I saved the project. I tried everything I could come up with, but didn't find out what was wrong. I then decided to just erase the track and record it again. Done, save, quit and off to take care of some business. After that I sat down again opened the project, and BOOM. All the tracks were completely fucked up, and eventually one after another literally disappeared when the program kept crashing. So. Fuck Cubase. Fuck Steinberg. I think I'm done with it :D

Only thing i can't get used to is the FX... I love having a list of FX on each channel and not opening another window.

when they sort that, i'll be set on reaper i think!

I just switched from Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 to Reaper and I'd like to see this too. GTP3 had the effects in a window on the channel strips, so it was easy to see what effects were being used and where. It's still better than what I was using, I think, so I'll give Reaper a go for a while.... It seems very flexible and is easier on the resources.

53Crëw;6313067 said:
I just switched from Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3 to Reaper and I'd like to see this too. GTP3 had the effects in a window on the channel strips, so it was easy to see what effects were being used and where. It's still better than what I was using, I think, so I'll give Reaper a go for a while.... It seems very flexible and is easier on the resources.

Bingo. As soon as i can see what FX is on what track without opening another window, i'll switch over.

A few months ago I switched over to reaper as my sole daw and I've never looked back. The performance and efficiency is unrivaled. For those who care they've also just updated the skinning capabililties so in the looks department it is much more capable with the right skin. Not being able to see per track fx is very minor to me considering what I've gained from the change over. Just open the channels fx window and it's all there. I'm all about the reduced clutter.

Not being able to see per track fx is very minor to me considering what I've gained from the change over.

+1
And I have a clever workaround !
Create a track for any single effect and give it a name of that preset. :heh:
Then just use the routing matrix to connect everything properly.

No I'm not using this workaround ;) :lol: - I simply remember what and where I have loaded.

Just open the channels fx window and it's all there. I'm all about the reduced clutter.

+1
I hope it will be optional.

Thanks to Mutant I've been a Reaper user/fan for about 3 months now. I love recording with it. It is about a million times more stable for me than PTLE. For some reason, PTLE won't let me record (even to an external HD) for more than about 5 seconds. I must try the new "skinning technique".

@ devoured: Where did you get that banner? I couldn't find it on the page or forums.

I'm on unexpired shareware till i learn it inside out cause i leave for a 17day metal-quest on monday.

Gonna buy it when i come back.