Reason Drum Refill

Grave Desire

Mar 10, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Has anyone here ever tried the drum refill for reason? If so how would you compare it to BFD or DFHS?? I can get the refill for a really good price but I also have been thinking about purchasing BFD or DFHS. Any input would be appriciated.

Reason drums :puke:

I don't like the redrum computer, although I suppose it would be ok if you had a huge library and could load samples into the sampler (nn-19? or some shit like that?).

The reason is I don't hear anything but volume differences when editing drums in redrum (volocity deviation=different volumes of the same sample). Even getting DKFH2 would be a better option IMO.

Don't get me wrong though reason is kick ass for everything else. Even simulating real piano, just doesn't make the cut for me with drums.

i only just started using BFD for all my drums, but all my bands songs were totally recorded using the redrum console in reason.

www.myspace.com/closureinmoscow

listen to the selfless art or clocks

probably not your style but yeah you get the idea. and hereis another that was totally done with BFD

www.myspace.com/violinskies the song BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS.

Yes again the guy above me is on the ball! haha reason has really crap, if not any velocity change. its real bad for dynamics. So your better off going for BFD or DKFH longterm. They are more tricky to use at first, but its better off learning them now than trying to figure out shortcuts to make reason drums samples sound realistic. i spent a long time on Closure in Moscow songs, and Birds birds birds took me a couple of days.....

Hi, I think folks were confused by what you were asking, but I get you..

I have the Reason Drums Refill v1 because I still have reason 2.5 and it is very good. I picked it up after v2 came out so I got it for a bargain price too.

There are 2 identical refills on the disc 16bit and 24bit. The 16bit is better if you don't have much RAM but does have artefacts on the tails of drum and cymbal hits. 24bit sounds the best but can use a ton of PC RAM and CPU power if you're using an older machine (for what it's worth I have a 3.2ghz P4 and 2gb RAM and 24bit runs fine with Reason also slaved to Cubase SX3)

There are several pre-made kits for different styles of music in different formats NNXT and Redrum. NNXT is the one to use for maximum flexibility and it is possible to edit and create kits e.g. drum brands/sizes, if there are direct, overhead or ambient mics (for each drum) and if there is, control the levels. It takes some time to put a "custom" kit together but worth it.

Definitely a thumbs up from me.

im using some samples from DKFHS and some others ive come across, with redrum, and ive gotta say i love the way its laid out haha.....I havent really noticed any problems...its obviously best to start off with many different samples, and i have a seperat redrum for each track eg: highhat closed, open, snare..... it takes a while to setup, but after that the options are wide open...

the myspace player rapes the sound, but you can hear them
www.myspace.com/matthewpigott

i could post a different sample with yousendit later if anyone was interested..

edit: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=560987&songID=4547330
heres a clip with better sound.