BFD or DFHS?

im just gonna throw in my 2 cents here

if you're a producer / engineer doing all sorts of different projects, i think its almost necessary to have both, because if you dont, a lot of your projects using the kits might sound the same.

especially if you're doing like 4 - 8 bands per month

I've got both. I find BFD to be useless for metal but it does have great roomy rock sounds. From a programming perspective, it seems to be a lot harder to get it to sound as realistic as DFHS.

if you can hang out for another two weeks our collection will be available for programming with any sampler and these hits are used in a lot of metal records... but between BFD and DFHS, the ladder would be better.

if you can hang out for another two weeks our collection will be available for programming with any sampler and these hits are used in a lot of metal records... but between BFD and DFHS, the ladder would be better.

your drum sounds are really good
im purchasing them in a week or too, good work!

I own both, DFHS wins hands down in terms of programming and the "humanization" aspects. For metal, BFD is machine-gun city even with the "anti-machine gun" option enabled (there's been a few debates on that here in the past with folks from BFD). BFD has some nice sounding samples though. I like some of the snares very much so may blend a few in via Drumagog outside of the application itself.

I also find BFD to be incredibly unstable in Nuendo even with the latest updates installed. It's getting progressively better, but I still don't trust it to fall over when switching samples.

oops, did I mean latter? either way, between DFHS and BFD, for metal, I'd do DFHS. But you're going to have to tweak them quite a bit, start out by adding some bottom to the snares to try to fatten them up. Here are some quick mp3s of metal and hard rock drums from OUR sample collection:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate18.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate19.mp3

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/stevenslate9.mp3

these are 100% replaced hits but they will be programable as well, they are multisampled and multi velocity like DFH, but it comes with a ton of snares and kicks and two sets of toms.. more a virtual drum locker then kits.. check out
www.stevenslatedrums.com/sneap.html for the sneap forum discount

Hmm, kick and snare sound pretty good, but the toms sound really bad to me, and does anyone else get a really bad rate when trying to download these mp3's?

P.S 1900th post, w00t! :lol:

never heard anyone not like the toms thus far, but everyone's ears are different. There isn't much tom stuff in the audio demos since most people really want to hear kick and snare, but we have some killer tom drum solo stuff coming that really shows off their power, the ones on the collection are punchy as hell. I'll try to post it soon.

also cobhc, did you stream the mp3s or download them and listen? Some players will stream at a lower bitrate which can muck things up sonically.

I think your thoughts will change with this next demo coming up. From listening to the current demos, the toms aren't loud and therefore they're not triggering the highest velocity hits we have. The higher velocity hits have a lot more power and I think for your metal tastes will be better. Hang tight, I'll be back later with some sounds for you cobhc.