BFD x DFHS

http://media.putfile.com/BFD
http://media.putfile.com/desperate-cry
http://media.putfile.com/new-15-40
http://media.putfile.com/the-god-90

Didnt really spend a whole lota time on these.....I am obviously no PRO!!

Should give you an idea of all the different sound available..

Every dfhs tune I hear all seem to have the same sound....you can spot it right away. I guess thats why alota people replace the kick and snare drum with other samples..(seems silly....buy a sample set only to replace the samples with other samples)

I have used DFHS.....very good as well. ....with BFD I get what I am looking for....miss the left and rt hand hits from DFHS...makes rolls alot easier.

I like DFHS' sounds better, but BFD and BFD XFL have some great sounds that I have used on our stuff as well. As the proud owner of Battery, DFH1, DFHS, BFD, and BFD XFL, I can honestly say that I prefer Battery over any of them for its ability to load in ANY samples you want.

The kit used on our song "Transmission" was a combination of some DFH1 cymbals and toms, a "secret" kick sample set, and one of the Ayotte snares from BFD, all run through Battery.

Yeah, that's an awesome mix Kazrog, but I have to say that snare sounds really out of place to me. But maybe that's the vibe you were going for? I definitely dig the big 'industrial' sort of sound to it, but as with all samples I used with BFD, they never seemed to sit quite well.

BFD has some great sounds, but DFHS takes the cake in my opinion. Snare rolls sound terrible in BFD no matter what you do. Hi hats and cymbals need some work too. Their kicks, however, are outstanding, especially the outside kick mic tracks.

See my signature links to see why DFHS owns BFD. This has been covered quite a few times, a simple search will bring up a rant with several posts by myself (I think I'm the resident DFHS nazi, btw) and it's a few pages long.

The summary? DFHS costs way less than BFD. DFHS has everything in one package. To get the full kit that you can get with DFHS using BFD, you have to buy the expansions. I think you have to basically spend twice as much on BFD+expansions to get the same amount of slots, etc. as DFHS. DFHS has left and right hand/foot hits. BFD does not. That alone makes me laugh when people consider BFD to be DFHS's competition.

However, in all honesty, the two libraries are actually the best ones out there. In my opinion, with the cost to quality factor, DFHS wins any day of the week. Coupled with the fact that it's got realistic left and right handed/footed hits...I mean, BFD doesn't offer that at all, so it's not much of a competitor, in my opinion anyway. Where I work, my boss bought BFD with the assumption that it would be awesome. It was much less. We were surprised at how limited we were with options as far as how many peices we could put in the kit, the available sampled peices, and so on. We sent it back and got DFHS and have never been happier. We have made quite a few GOG files for Drumagog using the samples from DFHS and it's just phenomenal the amount of time it saves us. However, we couldn't have done that with BFD- to a certain extent -because we would have had to buy the expansions in order to create such complex GOG's. I mean, every single snare, kick and tom that DFHS has, we've put into Drumagog. Plus we produce music for vocalists and people that need music for their commercials, so having all the versatility in one package (at a cheaper price) really paid for itself the first few times we used it with clients.

Anyway, in the end it's really up to you. I would advise getting DFHS, but that's me. Again, there are sound samples of DFHS showing off in my signature links. Mind you, there are no known clips like this of BFD...what does that tell you? :p

~006

God that is such a simple thing to do - I was just thinking when I got dfhs what the best way to build a midi track from audio with velocity was - and bam - drumagog. The sounds of dfhs are great - especialy the cymbals which in bfd are turd.

Go for dfhs - plus there bringing out more c+v at the end of this 24gb on one dvd - sweet as cartman would say.

I believe what encourages me to buy BFD is the fact it is RTAS and DFHS not. Does ReWire do the trick?

But I tested BFD and it requires a great amount of Ram, with a G5 2.0 1gig ram the damned Pro Tools is asking to increase H/W Buffer Size.

BTW 2 hds one for system one for audio in here.

Should I get a third just for BFD/DFHS or whatever?

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, that's an awesome mix Kazrog, but I have to say that snare sounds really out of place to me. But maybe that's the vibe you were going for? I definitely dig the big 'industrial' sort of sound to it, but as with all samples I used with BFD, they never seemed to sit quite well.

Thanks! I'm not 100% on the snare either, this is just a rough demo. I'm still searching for the perfect snare, which I may have to create by miking a nice one up and doing some quality samples.

The snare on Doomsday Machine is the best I've ever heard! :worship:

You do not need to purchase any expansion kit to load kit sizes = DFHS. You simply need to download the lastest software version (which is 15044). WIth it you can load 2 snare drums, 2 kick drums, 6 toms, a hihat and 6 cymbals.
You get 18 slots to use...

You can change any of the kit pieces to any thing you want. I could load a kit that consists of a snare, kick, hihat, 3 toms and 12 cymbals....

You can link pieces together as well. Load a snare drum on page one, another on page 2. Link snare1 to snare2...now you when snare1 is hit, snare2 is triggered with it....its like a built in drumagog. I like linking 2 kick drums. Kick 2is used as the low end....I tune kick 2 lower and use the kick out mic only...easy way to fatten up the kick sound...

Left and right hand hit.....got me there...BFD did not sample l/r hits...rolls do sound more realistic with DFHS. But, with some velocity work you can get close...the original bfd has about 64 velocity layers, xfl up to 90 and dlx has 127 layers!!! So with some tweaking you can get "close".

The cymbals sound really good if you ask me. With DFHS you only hear the cymbals thru the OH and ROOM mics....you get that with BFD but also 6 direct cymbal mics as well.....with the direct mics turned up, yeah they sound shitty...turn the direct ouput down in the mixer panel and use the OH....sounds good...you also get an additional set of PZM mics, so you get OH, room and PZM amb channels...lots of options...

I just wish there were more sample based drum programs out there.. i really love the whole idea of a virtual drummer, not micing up a drumkit, and all the space it takes is several amounts of GB's on your HD..

i just wish there were more, or more to come announced..

Well...I still wouldn't give you two bottles of piss for BFD. The l/r hits alone make it a much better product. "But with some velocity work you can get close..." Keyword = close. With barely any effort at all...really just a couple of mouse clicks...you can get realistic snare/tom/kick rolls.

L/R hand/foot hits as well as humanizing and semi seq features, also the TPC/16-bit feature...DFHS is hard to beat, IMO. BFD doesn't really come close at all. Why spend more money on something that has less features? Would you spend $30,000 on a brand new Ford something-or-other that only had barely any options, or would you spend $26,000 on that "same" car that had all the options? Of course not, why spend more money on the same car that has nowhere near the features that the other identical car does? Same thing here. You spend less cash, you get more features. In this day and age, more for your money seems to be the trend. BFD does not offer more for the money. Plain and simple.

~006

Never said BFD had more features. Just pointing out some of them.

BFD has humanizing too....you can control how much and how often.

BFD also has a 16bit mode. I use it with 1gb of ram with no problems at all.

Its all subjective man.....I like it, you dont....thats cool bro...

The cymbals sound really good if you ask me. With DFHS you only hear the cymbals thru the OH and ROOM mics....you get that with BFD but also 6 direct cymbal mics as well.....with the direct mics turned up, yeah they sound shitty...turn the direct ouput down in the mixer panel and use the OH....sounds good...you also get an additional set of PZM mics, so you get OH, room and PZM amb channels...lots of options...

With DFHS at mixdown stage I'm pretty sure you can separate the cymbals into sepeartes with the split mic options - although why you would want to when you have a mixer function and to me cymbals sound better as an ensemble.

Yeah I don't really see the need to have all of the cymbals seperated into their own tracks...I mean 12 tracks alone for cymbals? Gimme a break. They are perfectly fine as a stereo track altogether. Even at the studio, I'll mic up each cymbal seperately for some projects, but I still put them all into a stereo bus in the end. I only use the seperate mic method to make sure one doesn't wash out another, basically I only do that to level them all out volume wise...and with DFHS, thats already done for you anyway.

~006