DFH vs. BFD

Niels

Feb 9, 2006
Germany
I'd like to buy a new drum library/plugin in near future and I know a lot of you guys in this forum use DFH(or DFHS) and I liked what I heard from it so far! Now someone told me about BFD and it seems to have nearly the same features like DFH.

Does anyone use BFD?

Does BFD have appropriate metal drumsounds?

What are the differences between DFH and BFD?

Please let me know your opinions!

Niels

Ok, I will talk about DFH SUPERIOR and BFD. First of all DHF costs about 300 and BFD is for the same price, BUT the expansions cost about 150-300 each ;)

Now about the quality - BFD sounds much more natural (may be TOO natural for metal), but of course if you know what to do, you can make it sound really good. Superior doesn't have so much hits for each velocity, so it can be a little bit hard to make it sound like a real drummer, but its sound is better for me. And it surely is more metalish ;)

ReliXKeepeR said:
Superior doesn't have so much hits for each velocity, so it can be a little bit hard to make it sound like a real drummer...

You're right, it can't sound like a real drummer. Listen to this.

To quote myself to conserve time:
006 said:
Programmed by hand in DFHS by a friend of mine. It's mostly just beats copied and pasted over and over with little things changed here and there. But even like that, it sounds damn good. I have drummer friends that I have shown this to that to this very day, still call me a liar when I tell them it's programmed.
006 said:
In all honesty, they are both great drum programming sample-sets, they both have their place and it is really just a matter of taste as to what kind of sounds you want. IMO DFHS has a shitload more sounds, but that doesn't necessarily make it any *better* than BFD, just tehcnically more extensive. My preference is DFHS, and you can see why.
006 said:
DFHS is just more extensive and elaborate about everything. I've heard some really great stuff using BFD, and I've heard some really great stuff with DFHS. Honestly, I'd rather say the two are tied for 1st when it comes to the kingdom of drum sample libraries. I don't think anything else out there even holds a candle to the pair. Either way you go, DFHS or BFD, you've got a massive library at your disposal.
006 said:
I don't think it's fair to either of the libraries to say one is better than the other. They are both amazing libraries, it's really a matter of personal preference between them. Now if you were asking FruityLoops vs. DFHS...yeah, DFHS. But DFHS vs. BFD, not really fair.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All found in THIS thread. The forum search function really works guys...this is starting to turn out like us beating a dead horse.

Also, BFD is like $320, then you gotta buy the expansion packs, which range anywhere from $150-$300 depending on which one(s) you get, to even match the peices that DFHS offers...with it's $300 and you get everything right then and there, right out of the box. Just a thought.

~006

Ok, let's bury the horse!

- Both seem to be really good software.
- Both got nearly the same features.
- Both can sound very natural(if well programmed) and also be used for metal sounds.(btw. that DFHS clip really felt very natural - didn't expext that)
- DFHS is about 235 Euro(in germany).
- BDF is about 315 Euro(in germany), without add-ons.

So I think I go for the DFHS, mainly because of the price(this always is an issue for me). Anyway, it will sound better than the Drumkits I edited by ripping tons of samples from records.(But the FAR BEYOND DRIVEN Snare and Kick really works well, even without several layers):headbang:

Thanks for your opinions!

Cheers!:kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Niels

006, don't be so shitty.

I said that it may be would be a little bit hard, not that it cannot sound. Btw in this some of the toms sound really unreal. and there are many repeated cym hits. and the kick sounds funny

Uh...I'm wasn't being shitty, it's called sarcasm, look it up. I'm not even going to argue with you about DFHS and BFD. I work all day, every day, in this studio and I have drummers coming in and out and I'm mixing albums left and right. Albeit, they aren't signed artists...but thats beside the point. The clip I posted sounds pretty fuckin real to me.

FIN.

~006

except the toms it sounds real.
I mixed some nice real sounding drums with Sup.

The question is that BFD is more realistic. This is a fact.

So it's time to stop shitting here.

No more shitting in my thread please!:mad:

...or did anyone hear the 'brown tone'?:puke:

I've got my answer!

Don't know if this exists in english, but in my childhood I've learnt something like:

The more intelligent gives way!(or so)

So shake hands and have another beer.:kickass:

Niels

Normally, I wouldn't, but since I'm drunk as shit, prepare yourself.

/rant

ReliXKeepeR said:
The question is that BFD is more realistic. This is a fact.

According to.........you? That's nice. So to you BFD is more realistic. Whereas myself, being subjected to real drums every day because it's my job, thinks DFHS is more realistic.

Hmm looks like somebody is trying to impose absolutes that can't be absolute. We have this thing called variables here on Earth, dunno which planet you are on. Which is better/more realistic is subjective to each user/listener. What you think sounds better or more realistic could be completely different from anyone else. So how is your opinion right, and everyone elses wrong? I'm not saying I'm right, or that what I say is the law. But rather, me working in a studio every single day with drummers and/or recorded tracks of real drums would know what real drums sound like. I mean fuck...while I'm setting up mics, these idiots are banging on their set fucking deafening me temporarily.

I didn't say that for a fact DFHS was better. But rather to me, it's better. That leaves those variables on the field. I also included a soundclip done with DFHS using nothing more than a mouse to program parts in, and also pretty much raw except for a light compressor on the master bus. I have yet to hear a clip of anything remotely close to this from BFD. I have used both libraries, and I sent BFD back to the shipper. Fuck that. To even match DFHS with available pieces you have to spend another fucking $200-$250. Are you kidding me? To get as many pieces on your kit as DFHS??? You mean I spend $30 more on BFD and I only get less than a fucking THIRD of what DFHS offers at $30 less???? You're saying you have to nearly buy the entire library again to come close?? And it's "better"???? Well...at least that limited piece set "sounds more realistic than DFHS, it's a fact". :lol:

Let's try to level out the differences here. DFHS is $299.95*. BFD is $329.00**. DFHS has more available pieces, as well as more slots for those pieces, right out of the box, compared to BFD***. The BFD expansion packs range anywhere between $199-$249****.

....riiiiiiggghhhhhhhht.

To avoid things like this in the future, don't say things like "this is a fact" when it's about something completely subjective. It's like saying your car has the coolest rims ever. That's an opinion bro, and while some may agree, others won't. Same principle.

/rant

~006

* Price Check
** Price Check
*** Part 1 (BFD piece listing=65 pieces)
*** Part 2 (DFHS piece listing=193 pieces)
****BFD Expansions

:ill: :ill: :ill: :ill: :ill:

...ok, it's not familiar to the english speaking world!

Maybe you took me too serious with that beer thing...:)

cameltoe said:
well, for me...i get the sounds "I AM LOOKING FOR" from BFD.....so w/e

Well said. And that's great, as long as you're getting the sounds you want, it doesn't matter which one.

Also. Now that it's morning time and I'm all sober'ed up (sp?), I didn't think my post was that long. I thought I had posted a couple of sentences saying that DFHS had more pieces and it was cheaper...obviously I under-estimated myself :p.

~006

The trick to getting DFHS to sound realistic, like with any samples, is to know how to program your tracks well. Even with DFHS' fancy random sample choosing whatsits and it's many layers 'n' whatnot, you can still make it sound somewhat unrealistic in terms of the "playing" if your sequencing is bollocks.

The sounds I go for with my DFHS are mainly basically a tight, thumpin' clicky "triggered" kinda sounding kick (lots of processing there), a nice clear, real-ish sounding snare (but somewhat compressed), again real-ish toms, and well, whatever cymbals over the top. That's for my metal stuff. I get that by basically shutting off most of the bleeding, except in the OHs. Sequencing-wise, for the heavy bits it's pretty much a full velocity kick, for that more uniform triggered sound. The hands is where I do all the fiddly velocity work to make it sound realistic.

BUT, I know that if I wanted to do something much more open sounding, I could easily do it. With all the bleeding options available, not to mention all the drums and cymbals there, DFHS can easily go from roomy jazzy sounds to tight metal sounds, no problem. :)

DNW said:
The trick to getting DFHS to sound realistic, like with any samples, is to know how to program your tracks well. Even with DFHS' fancy random sample choosing whatsits and it's many layers 'n' whatnot, you can still make it sound somewhat unrealistic in terms of the "playing" if your sequencing is bollocks.

The sounds I go for with my DFHS are mainly basically a tight, thumpin' clicky "triggered" kinda sounding kick (lots of processing there), a nice clear, real-ish sounding snare (but somewhat compressed), again real-ish toms, and well, whatever cymbals over the top. That's for my metal stuff. I get that by basically shutting off most of the bleeding, except in the OHs. Sequencing-wise, for the heavy bits it's pretty much a full velocity kick, for that more uniform triggered sound. The hands is where I do all the fiddly velocity work to make it sound realistic.

BUT, I know that if I wanted to do something much more open sounding, I could easily do it. With all the bleeding options available, not to mention all the drums and cymbals there, DFHS can easily go from roomy jazzy sounds to tight metal sounds, no problem. :)

searching.....searching....searching....searching....NOPE! Didn't find a comment anywhere in there saying "DFHS sounds better, it's a fact."

:)

~006

www.soundsonline.com product detail for DFHS said:
All in all you can have 14 cymbals at the same time.

DFHS has over 60 cymbals total*. BFD only has 15 total cymbals/rides to choose from with the basic package. And you can only have THREE** of them on your set at any given time. So, you can have a pretty cool punk drumset....A crash, a china, and a ride. WOWWWWWWWW. *bows to the almighty BFD*

~006

* ToonTrack DFHS page
** Screenshot Proof