Reasons not to like Opeth

ucsbdude

Stargate Addict
Apr 3, 2003
Stargate Command
Visit site
Opeth sucks.

This is overhyped horseshit, absolutely a disgrace. Not even metal really. Some people think this is epic, these people function using a single neuron. Opeth have essentially tried to combine lots of accoustics, 70's prog, and gaythenburg. It didn't work. The music has no cohesion, different elements seem to come together in a completely random and haphazard fashion(see atheist for music successfully fusing genres). The song structures are actually conventional, there's just lots of filler. This brings me to the accoustics, oh the accoustics..... They never fucking end. Each song seems to have a percentage of it designated for tedious, meandering accoustics which never actually reach a logical conclusion. The clean vocals are whiny, and the production doesn't really give the riffs any bite. The lyrics are smug. If you like this then you probably worship Christ. Avoid!!

This isn't me its some chump named Demiurge on some other forum. Bored, thought I post it for entertainment purposes :Spin:

he's kind of gay/black/jewish/bumblefoot, isn't he?

I guess people are entitled to their opinions... but boy oh boy i pity him for not hearing what most of us do in Opeth :p Thing is with people like this they assume we DON'T know "better" bands (his athiest comment) and that we're just liking opeth because we are spoonfed it and don't bother ro try other things (the things they usually mention as better) when in fact a lot of us love those bands too.

A funny breed he is.

Black Dragon said:
Yeah, coincidently I like Opeth and am a Christian. Liking Opeth and Christ though aren't intertwined in most cases.

That guy knew that, he just wanted to make some generalization to seem more tr00 and gr1m. Sign of a true poser.

Yep and came off sounding like an ass. Brilliance.

these types of threads get old quick. Matter of fact I just read this thread to see if it was anything new... and nope! I've seen this exact same thread 20 times... each time a different person posted it.

*yawn* :Smug:

that kinda reminds me of a guy i know from school. he's into lots of stuff (everything from kataklysm to judas priest) so i thought maybe he would appreciate opeth. i let him listen to leper affinity and demon of the fall, and he thought it was the stupidest shit he's ever heard. "their riffs are terrible." ..so he says. now EVERYTIME he sees me in the hallway he gives me this big gay smirk and says "OOOOPETH". what a geek..