Recently recorded Metal band mix...suggestions wanted please!!

KeithReyn

Members Only Member
Apr 1, 2008
Osceola Mills, PA
Hey guys. Here is a mix i did today from a session recorded on wednesday. It was recorded live, except for the vox, we did that after.
Info about the session: Recorded with REAPER!! all natural drums (as you can prob tell) , bass was direct into a bass amp sim, guitar was recorded with a 57...mesa single rect solo 50 something through a marshall cab, 57 on snare, akg d112 on the kick, audix tom mics (dont know which), and audix OH mics...not the best mics for everything... i know!
I dont have any awesome pres...just have the motu 8pre and the profire 2626. Not to mention , I have behringer monitors. yuck , i know. But it was all I could afford at the time. I plan to get better ones.
I burned a cd to play it in various things, and to make notes. I made my notes, but wanted to hear what the more experienced guys think! I know some things need to be changed. Im hoping maybe someone has a suggestion or tip that will help me now and in the future! I will say one thing, i know i need to bring the gtr up!!
(btw, if anyone knows of a good military type snare drum sample, i need one for the intro, i tried to make it sound like one, but i think it could be much better I cut the snare intro part and did the best i could, but i know a sample will make it sound more authentic which is what they want)
The band is called 'Naildriver'

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1514762/02 - In God We Trust- Naildriver 2.mp3

Thanks for listening!!:worship:

It would be better if you'd double track the guitars. It has this demo quality, not because of the tones or mix but because of the arrangement i think. I also think the drummer lacks some groove/feeling, but that has nothing to do with you. :D

yeah, i was told by someone else to doubletrack the gtrs too. I hope i can talk the guy into it. Im really dumb for not pressing the issue even more during the session.
Any other suggestions or tips on the mix? Im going back to the studio in a couple days to make the changes i had.

Any suggestions are welcome..even if its: "Heres what to do, import the 2 channel file into reaper & pull the fader all the fuckin way down ..then export that silence, cause thats better than your mix, you dumb dick dipshit".

I can handle it! :headbang:
Have a great day guys! and thanks for listening!

copy and paste the guitar track and delay one side by about 30ms and that will give you a quasi-stereo effect, I think gtrs def need to come up.. snare is kinda ringy but I think it'll sit alright once the guitars come up

Thanks for the suggestions guys!! Thanks for listening also. Ive learned alot from this forum over the past couple of years, so I figured Id post something else here to be critiqued. My past couple of clients havent been metal, so I didnt think anyone here would wanna listen to those. Anyway, ill be heading back to the studio on wednesday to make some changes to the mixes.
If anyone hears anything thats horrible, let me know!!!
As I said before, im dealing with cheap Behringer monitors in a not very well treated room. I REALLY need to get some better gear!!!!!! Ive got my eye on a couple things for a new purchase soon. Nothing amazing of course.