RECO: Devin Townsend (srsly the fuck)

Mar 1, 2009
Okay, either I still don't know how to properly use the search function or this fucking guy doesn't have his own thread.

Fan for years, but I've seriously become such a ridiculous fanboy over the last few months, and it drives me nuts that I can't get many of my close friends into him much (despite the fact that his music dabbles in dozens of genres).

He finally redid 'Kingdom' (from Physicist with shit-production) for the new one coming out in a week. Thankfully he brought the broad from The Gathering (not of Juggalos) to actually tour for the DVD shoot. :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, the new album (Epicloud) is pretty bad.

I expected to either love it or hate it, considering everything he's said leading up to it.... Dev Leppard and all that. The songs I've heard are pretty meh. "Lucky Animals" is baaaaaad. But of course I'm gonna give it 800 more chances.

Also: have you heard Disc 2? A lot of people are saying it's vastly superior to the album itself.

I expected to either love it or hate it, considering everything he's said leading up to it.... Dev Leppard and all that. The songs I've heard are pretty meh. "Lucky Animals" is baaaaaad. But of course I'm gonna give it 800 more chances.

Also: have you heard Disc 2? A lot of people are saying it's vastly superior to the album itself.

I guess I'll download disc 2 then. Epicloud to me was like Addicted but significantly worse. I also hate albums where the cymbals are almost non-existent in the mix.

Concert tonight. Not feeling like going, but I can't miss this! I was downtown near the venue this morning and had some free time, so I walked over to the venue just to see if there were any buses there yet. I felt very silly and stalkerish since I was already wearing my Devy t-shirt for tonight. :lol:

He has earn eternal respect for rocking a Santa hat we threw on stage at the Century Media X-mas show years back. Cara, you were present at that one, were you not?

Nay, I was at the Behemoth/Nevermore one.

The show was definitely worth the lack of sleep. Devin was in top form! Setlist was Supercrush, Kingdom, Regulator, Color Your World, Sunday Afternoon, War, Colonial Boy, Vampira, Lucky Animals, Liberation, Juular, Grace. In that order.

You know.... I listened to this last night with a couple of brews and have decided that it's a damn fine album. It doesn't make much sense as a whole, and "Lucky Animals" definitely interrupts the flow for me, but all the same, I definitely don't think it's a letdown. The greatness of any given song is in direct proportion to how much Anneke is involved in it. Case in point:

That said, those Devin fans disappointed with Disc 1 should DEFINITELY check out Disc 2. It's easily just as good, and contains some real stunners as well.

All my Devy videos from the other night. Lots of talk about penises, catcher's mitt-sized vaginas, snot, moisturizer, etc.