RECOMENDATION: Hank Williams III - Straight to Hell

Demilich said:
my reco from last time (Stan Rogers) had some country influences going on so I thought I'd like this but... eh. well done, but not my bag.

Which reminds me, could you please upload The Idiot again? When you made the reco I was using a different computer and I really want to hear that song again

Definitely! I'll throw in a couple more of the folkier songs (which you should like as well) ... some of them just flat out fucking rule. What an awesome guy. He died too young :cry:

This album absolutely rules. Dick in Dixie made me laugh my balls off because it's exactly what I've been saying about the crap my parents watch on CMT forever. Crazed Country Rebel, Smoke and Wine, Country Heroes, D Ray White, Low Down. Fuckin' A, love it all.:kickass:

It helps to have a country background when you listen to this too. I grew up listening to a lot of old school country and rock and this is exactly what I wanna hear out of my country baby. Dirt road rompin' will commence when I get home.

Opeth17 said:
This album absolutely rules. Dick in Dixie made me laugh my balls off because it's exactly what I've been saying about the crap my parents watch on CMT forever. Crazed Country Rebel, Smoke and Wine, Country Heroes, D Ray White, Low Down. Fuckin' A, love it all.:kickass:

.:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: fuck ye:kickass: s

banjo-pluckin', fiddle-wailin' bluegrass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"country"

Johnny Cash is interesting for about three minutes and then it's time to move on. Sorry, folks, country is terrible. Just come and visit me here and I'll show you why.

edit: btw, I'm pretty sure Cash is not country. He was kinda rockabilly if you ask me. He played with Elvis for fuck's sake. Country is the shit I hear spewing from the bars on my way to hockey games. No two ways around it.

yeah, modern country is terrible. ive been to two rodeo shows in my lifetime.

Hank Williams + Skynard - which ruled really
Kenny Chesney - which i spent looking at the hot chick in front of me

dorian gray said:
banjo-pluckin', fiddle-wailin' bluegrass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>"country"

Johnny Cash is interesting for about three minutes and then it's time to move on. Sorry, folks, country is terrible. Just come and visit me here and I'll show you why.

edit: btw, I'm pretty sure Cash is not country. He was kinda rockabilly if you ask me. He played with Elvis for fuck's sake. Country is the shit I hear spewing from the bars on my way to hockey games. No two ways around it.

Bluegrass and Cash are both Country.

KILL TULLY said:
Bluegrass and Cash are both Country.
Country evolved from bluegrass. Bluegrass was created by the European settlers of the Appalachians. In the beginning, bluegrass and country were the same thing but was not known by either name. It was "hill" music and eventually "hillbilly" music. To become more commercial, the term "country" was coined. Country then became the commercial junk - and the crap played in bars here on second avenue - that you see on CMT. Whereas bluegrass hasn't changed much since the 1860s. Thusly, bluegrass and country aren't the same thing.

MadeInNewJersey said:
Johnny Cash DEFINES country IMO.
I don't know much about Cash and I'm not a big fan but I'm pretty sure he first recorded in Memphis, which was saturated with blues. He toured with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis - a couple of the originators of rockabilly - which makes me think of him more of a blues guy than country. To me, Hank Williams defines country. Or maybe Waylon Jennings.

ooops, did forget Hank Sr, yup

and you're not wrong at all about how/where Johnny began, but he still defines country

I also agree that while bluegrass & country are neighbors, they're not 1 and the same at all

i went to a bluegrass show in norcal once, and for those don't know what bluegrass is on the west coast it means hippies. it was the yonder mountain string band, i arrived with some apprehension but damned if they didn't fucking blow me away :kickass:

johnny cash is great once in a while

cthulufhtagn said:
and for those don't know what bluegrass is on the west coast it means hippies.
Interesting. What kind of instruments are we talking about?