Recommend a 7 stringer under 1k

matt15f

New Metal Member
Sep 8, 2010
I've been looking at ibanez and LTD offerings in this range. I don't really care for shecter, jackson i would entertain also. Currently my main metal guitar is an LTD 1000 that i think is tits, I replaced the emg's with seymour duncans...

The local shops don't have any 7 string guitars to try out so I am trying to pick one out based on internet research alone :eek:

Any advice is appreciated.

I have a Jackson COW7 (full name Christian Olde Wolbers Signature 7-String Dinky). Don't be put off because it's a signature from a guy in Fear Factory :D . First-hand experience - it's a pretty killer guitar. Has only one pickup tho (it comes with EMG 707), but you could easily rout out a cavity for the neck pickup, not a biggie really. Made in Japan. So, not Taiwan, Indonesia, or some other random country. Tons of sustain, mine is resonating reaaaally sweet. I can't recommend this guitar enough.

Look it up yourself
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=AS-Series&page=1&product=2900502803

yea i'll def look that guitar up, there just so many out there now that its like where to begin. Thanks

I'm not even sure what 1 American grand will get you, since I'm not American.
As far as Ibanez goes, plenty of awesome stuff on the used market.
RG 7421 (I own one), 7621, 7420 and 7620 models are all killer guitars that can be had for cheap and can be modified to become even more awesome.
All Japanese made guitars too, which is a big bonus.
The COW7 is also quite good as was said. Jackson do make a 7 string soloist (Japanese Pro series model), but I doubt it will cost under a grand.
I can't say I feel the 7 string LTDs. The necks have never been as fast as any of the Ibanez stuff to me

Ive got an Ibanez RG7321 was very cheap like £300 in the UK, loads of guitar for the money and the stock pickups are pretty darn good too.

Ive got an Ibanez RG7321 was very cheap like £300 in the UK, loads of guitar for the money and the stock pickups are pretty darn good too.

Yeah, they are good guitars, but not quite as good as the RG7421 and 7621 models.
But the comment on the pickups?
Wow, just wow. The stock pickups in the 7321 are extremely muddy.
The stockers in the RG7421 were better than that, but still quite meh. Changed them out for Blackouts, and the difference was quite staggering. Finally I could hear all the notes in a big chord played at high gain and the low B string didn't sound like a wet fart anymore.
I have Dimarzio Blaze pickups in my RG1527, and again, a huge difference compared to the stock pickups.

62712_126603254058441_100001263004703_178032_1223204_n.jpg

Out of all of these we decided to go with the Jackson, It played and sounded the best.

And I really dig the tone we got with it :)

hope I helped.