Recommend me a 7-string guitar and a 5-string bass

Sickan

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jan 23, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
I made a "Recommend me a guitar." thread a few months ago and bought the JACKSON DKMG in february.

I wasn't satisfied with it tuning down to Drop A/Standard A, so:
Now I'm on the market for a new guitar, this time a 7-string.
I'm also going to buy a 5-string bass.

Recommend me a 7-string (at least 26.5") guitar, tops 2000$. Bridges doesn't matter, the most important thing is the sound.
I've been looking at:
IBANEZ RGD2127Z
ESP LTD SC-607B
I will try them in a couple of days and but I would like some other alternatives if I don't like them.
I'm thinking of putting in Lundgren M7, at least in the bridge - is it nice in the neck aswell?

As for the bass, I don't really know what I am looking for - I know I want a 5-string that is 35". Price around 500$.
My current bass is a Cort Action Bass (cheap 4-string 34"), I love the (string)sound but the lowend is a bit wobbly, the sustain and the action is not optimal.

If you have a DI of either a recommended 7-string guitar or 5-string bass, please post it!

The 1227 is a great guitar. played one a few days ago and fell in love.

The SC has a really chunky neck, and due to the proximity of the pickups theres not much tonal variation in the guitar. The SC will give you a more defined low end though due to the hard tail.

I say go with what is comfortable!

I'm really happy with my Hellraiser. I love all the tonal variations I can get from the push/pull pots and the combination of EMG's and mahogany makes sure that it sounds heeeavy.
I'm gas'ing for a loomis though. I tried one recently and the neck was pure sex.

In the $500 range, find a used Lakland, Musicman or Fender PJ bass. Skip the Ibanez, try a Spector. You may like it. I found it muffled compared to the first three I mentioned, but still a good instrument.

If you have 2 grand to spend, there's no reason to settle for production line, mass produced instruments.
You are easily into custom shop territory with 2 grand, so go order a custom made guitar made to your specs, it will be FAR better value for money than anything you can buy for 2 grand off the shelf at a store.

I will try the Ibanez RGD2127z, LTD Sc-607b, Schecter Loomis and Hellraiser (if I find them).
For basses, I will try what I can find, IIRC I liked the Warwick Corvette (EDIT: damn, its 34")!

If you have 2 grand to spend, there's no reason to settle for production line, mass produced instruments.
You are easily into custom shop territory with 2 grand, so go order a custom made guitar made to your specs, it will be FAR better value for money than anything you can buy for 2 grand off the shelf at a store.

But I don't really know what I am looking for!
I know exactly what sound I want - I want it to sound like my Jackson Kelly, but with 7 strings, at least 26.5" and... well, another body ;)

Don't worry about the Corvette being 34" scale length, I play ADGCF and have no problems with it. I spent a lot of time finding the best bass for me, in the end it came down to a Dingwall Afterburner II (fanned fret) or the Corvette. The Dingwall gave me (near)perfect intonation and a good tone but the 'wick just screamed. Any small issues with the intonation on the Corvette were solved by finding the right strings, in my case 50-135 ProSteel's - though I'm liking the new DDT's from DR.

If you HAVE to have a 35" bass then I suggest either Lakland Skyline 5501 or an Ibanez BTB.

You could get a Schecter Loomis and a used Spector Euro 5LX (35" scale, EMG DC's) for less than your $2500 budget, provided you're talking about US $.

I'm really happy with my Hellraiser. I love all the tonal variations I can get from the push/pull pots and the combination of EMG's and mahogany makes sure that it sounds heeeavy.
I'm gas'ing for a loomis though. I tried one recently and the neck was pure sex.

According to a lot of people, they have the same exact neck.

I will def. recommend ibanez btb675. I tried most basses in the sub 1000 $ range and preferred the ibanez. the pickups sound pretty good for scooped modern style tones, although they arent the best for a rounder rock style tone. I could post a few songs I used the btb on if your interested in hearing it.