Recommend a CD or a DVD

forgottenglory

Earth. Soul. Rock n' Roll
Jan 26, 2003
London, UK
www.forgottenglory.com
I thought we had a thread like this. I looked for it but couldn't find it. So I thought I'd start a new one. Here you can post CDs and DVDs by other bands that you would recommend people to buy. It must be material that has really impressed you and not just everything you buy.

WINGER - Live
I would recommend the new live DVD by Winger, simply entitled Live. It truly lives up to its name. The band gives you a vulgar display of musicianship whilst being highly technical and yet conjuring great melodies - a feat in itself. The band is made up of Reb Beach and Jon Roth on guitars, Rod Morgenstein of drums (this guy is a monster) and last but not least Kip Winger on bass, keyboards and vocals (what a voice!).

Visually the camera changes happen at just the right moment and there are no special effects that ruin so many of the recent live DVDs!.

Get it...thank me later!

Well I've thought of a couple!

1)For anyone who has got into Bruce Dickinsons solo work I would recommend the DVD "Anthology".

There are whole live shows from 1990, 1996, 1999, 14 promo videos and an interesting interview.

It really is a boat floater!!

2)Fightstar - One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours
I haven't heard the whole thing but really like the sound of two tracks I've heard, Deathcar and Floods. Definitely at the top of the purchase list

I have a lot to recommend, but you all wouldn't like it...so enjoy.

Maybe some of us have quite varied tastes? So..... try !

I cannot but recommend one and the same CD over and over again:

SIEGES EVEN - Paramount

Most Threshold fans should really really love this stuff, too, as from my point of view, Sieges Even possess very similar traits and qualities.
I love this album almost as much as Threshold, and even the lyrics could have been written by Rich, at least what the "message" is concerned, not so much the style.

The only difference: Threshold albums are ALL great, Sieges Even only this one, really.

Try it - or not, but then, suit yourself! :)

Hi,

Winger : I can confirm Anupam´s statement about the Winger DVD. I have bought it on the weekend and it is great ! I didn´t know John Roth before. In which band has he played ? But : NO TELECASTERS IN METAL ! :lol::lol::lol:
Rod Morgenstein is a monster, as Anupam wrote, and he is right. In his drum solo : what is that ? Is it from the Morgensetin/Rudess-Project ?

Iron Maiden : Live After Death : When I was about 17 I bought thius live album on LP, and on the weekend I have bought the DVD. Do I have to write anything about one of the best live albums of all times ? Great sound, great musicians...and...by the way : in that time Nicko had the best drum sound ever with those special Sonor Phonic Plus concert toms. The drum sound on Death On The Road is not really a drum sound.

The second DVD contains the second part of the Iron Maiden history (part 1 was "The Early days").

Los Lobotomys - Ohne Filter live : Be careful : we are talkin about fusion. :) I like this one recorded live by German tv. We had these concerts here called Ohne Filter (without filter) and one was Los Lobotmys (Steve Lukather, Simon Phillips, David Garfield, John Pena).
I think the secon Lukather album Candyman came out in the UK under the name Los lobotomys. And if you can, try to get the first one. Evereybody from LA making kind of a session. Great !

Threshold - Critical Energy ...just joking:lol::lol: ...but : one of the greatest live documents I know !! :kickass:

Big Country - Live At Rockpalast : Does anybody know the German tv show Rockpalast ? In the 7ties and 8ties that were live shows on tv. They began at 10:00 pm and the last band made their gig maybe at 3:00 am. We had parties while watching Rockpalast. They have now brought out a number of live DVD´s. Check out www.rockpalast.de
One is the Big Country one with two concerts which are awesome.

By the way : there is one of Level 42 which made the band very popular here in Germany.

...other great DVD´s :

- Whitesnake : Live In The Still Of The Night
- Level 42 : Live at Rockpalast
- Fates Warning : Live In Athens
- Killswitch Engage : Set This World Ablaze
- Genesis : Live...The Way We Walk
- Rage : From The Cradle To The Stage

...and many others

Frank

Hi,

Winger : I can confirm Anupam´s statement about the Winger DVD. I have bought it on the weekend and it is great ! I didn´t know John Roth before. In which band has he played ? But : NO TELECASTERS IN METAL ! :lol::lol::lol:
Rod Morgenstein is a monster, as Anupam wrote, and he is right. In his drum solo : what is that ? Is it from the Morgensetin/Rudess-Project ?

I'm happy to know that you got that DVD. It is one of the most impressive I have seen.

STEVE STEVENS - Memory Crash

51otnuXU3cL._SS500_.jpg
This is the brand new solo album from the fret master in about 10 years. If you like his work with Bozzio Levin Stevens albums and Flamenco-A-Go-Go you're going to dig this album. Steve has gone retro whilst sounding modern and yet being himself. Check out his myspace HERE to hear some of the amazing tracks the genius has crafted.

For those interested on some background of how the album came together there are a couple of interviews in Premier Guitar Magazine and Guitar Techniques Magazine on his myspace and Classic Rock Revised

To quote a Q&A in from Classic Rock Revisited:

Interviewer: I love Joe Satriani and Steve Vai - they are amazing players. I think Satriani made a complete album with Surfing with the Alien but a lot of instrumental albums you get halfway through and you get bored.
Steve: The way I go about constructing my music - and I am not criticizing those guys or their records in any way shape or form. I admire them and I really admire how Steve Via has created his own world where his music lives. For me, the last thing that went on each song was the solo guitar. I can't approach my writing any different than how I approach writing for Billy Idol, it has to have a drum and bass groove to begin with. The brick and mortar have to be there for me to play over. I approached my lead guitar much the same way a singer would approach it. Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are incredibly gifted and they have technique beyond technique. If anything, I find myself slowing down, as I get older, trying to say the most with the least amount of notes.

Jeb: You have plenty of notes on this album.
Steve: There are those moments [laughter].

I'm gonna use this topic to ask a recommendation: Arena will play in Rome in late April and I'd love to go see them *, I need you to recommend me an albums to start. I remember good reviews for "Songs from the lion cage".

* I also have to tell Ian Salmon that the acoustic version of Change is absolutely fantastic :D

I'm gonna use this topic to ask a recommendation: Arena will play in Rome in late April and I'd love to go see them *, I need you to recommend me an albums to start. I remember good reviews for "Songs from the lion cage".

* I also have to tell Ian Salmon that the acoustic version of Change is absolutely fantastic :D

Arena recommendations:

- Immortal? (The song "Butterfly Man" is a classic)
- Contagion (this concept album was later "expanded" with 2 EPs Contagious and Contagium which included extra tracks and 2 couple of re-mixes done by some unknown talent called Richard West... :D)

Another recommendation:
- The Tangent: Not As Good As The Book (2CD + BOOK)

i only have songs from the lion cage, Contagion and Pepper's Ghost bust all 3 are good. the later albums are heavier though, a bit more metal...:kickass:

POWER QUEST - Master Of Illusion

41cF8cpE-wL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I've never really been a fan of Power Metal records because I always get bored of the same repetitive stuff. All the songs sound the same from album to album making me run in the opposite direction as soon as I hear the names of DragonForce, Sonata Artica, Stratovarius etc.

However, last week I was given a promo copy of Master Of Illusion by none other than Steve Williams (Power Quest keyboard master). From the moment I put on the record I was completely mesmerized and blown away at the same time! Master Of Illusion is not your average standard fayre Power Metal record. This is so much more!

Each song sounds different from the next and there are many breaks, variations and nods and hints to Prog Metal throughout each song to keep the listener hooked. The songs are so catchy, infectious, hook laden melodic Metal fest that it is impossible to pick a favourite track. The music is very uplifting and gives out a positive vibrational radiance throughout the whole record. There is this feelgood factor that you experience during and long after the record is over that only the mighty bands of the 80's could generate.

Alessio Garavello's effortless vocals gives me the impression of surfing over clouds. Andrea Martongelli is a guitar hero like they don't make them anymore. He shreds whilst making sure that melody prevails. His guitar solos will bring out the air guitarist out of you! The infectious and original keyboard sounds of Steve Williams contribute to make the melodies memorable. Furthermore what makes the record pleasant to listen to is that the double bass drums are kept to a minimum and used sparingly.

Richard West's keyboard solo contribution complements beautifully the guitar solo on 'Human Machine' - the theme of which could have easily fitted somewhere on Clone. And let us not forget the fantastic production work that Richard has given this record making it a winner in my books.

Forget DragonForce (DragonFarce?) and all the rest of the cliched Power Metal horde. Master Of Illusion is a superior album in a class of it's own. I'll make it a point of honour to buy this masterpiece...and so should you!