Recommend a CD or a DVD

My personal fav is Pepper's Ghost, but get yourself Visitor and Contagion too, damn good albums!

Damn right, as a matter of fact, The Visitor is my favorite album, of ALL TIME :headbang:

Seriously, it is epic in so many ways, the story, the songs, the musicianship... Everything is perfect.

Superior - Younique

They're referred to as the German version of Dream Theater in most places. I can hear some of that but other things that DT doesn't do. I highly recommend this album if you're into Prog Rock :)

I'm gonna use this topic to ask a recommendation: Arena will play in Rome in late April and I'd love to go see them *, I need you to recommend me an albums to start. I remember good reviews for "Songs from the lion cage".

* I also have to tell Ian Salmon that the acoustic version of Change is absolutely fantastic :D

I´m late, I know...:lol:

I would take THE VISITOR and PEPPER´S GHOST (engineered by Karl Groom). But there´s one thing I have to say : I wish there was a more natural drumsound (even on Thresholds albums). If you compare both album - and there are about 15 years between them - you got nearly the same drumsound, something like a ddrum2 or Roland TD stuff.

Frank

I am listening a lot to the band Thunderstorm (Italy) for the last weeks. Their latest album "As we die alone" is an instant classic. They also made a really nice video for one of the songs of that record, you can find it here:

I think at about 4:00 min. it sounds almost thresh-like, what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a suggestion for people who don't mind something a little lighter (but still brilliant)

Mostly Autumn - Glass Shadows

New release from this English prog folk rock band - due for release very soon, I stumped up the pre-release funding to get the special edition. Truly stunning, even pushes Passengers close for their best album. Beautiful vocals, beautiful instruments, passion, melody, heartache.....just brilliant!

Si

Hi,

the new OPETH CD Watershed is amazing !! There´s the Death Metal combined with classical guitars and modern Heavy Metal.

It´s just and tasteful album with sometimes warm and sometimes threatening atmosphere. Hard to tell. Listen to Watershed and you´ll see what I mean.

See you,

Frank

Well if you like Electronic Jazz-Fusion (or something like that) you'll like "Amarillo Cian y Magenta," an awesome Costa Rican band:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=147768319

http://www.acm-cr.com/

The bass player is my professor :) .

If you like the band and want to buy a cd you can send me a PM so we can arrange things, I have Paypal :) .

Thanks for the link! This music is great. When I'm not listening to Metal, that's the type of music I like to listen to. The vibe reminds me bit of Santana.

I'd like to get the CD. I will be in touch soon.

My two recommendations. STRONG recommendations actually:

Votum - "Time Must Have a Stop"
Appearance of Nothing - "Wasted Time"

Both debut albums if i'm not mistaken. Great prog metal stuff. Specially Votum....they play a very effective mix of Dream Theater and Opeth, so to speak. No growling voice. Check it out.

Get the new Pendragon album PURE !

Mine arrived yesterday and by what I heard, it's really great.
Also, make damn sure you get the special edition with the DVD "progumentary". This alone makes the purchase more than worthwhile.
Besides getting loads of great geek advice for recording, I cracked myself laughing about the wonderful British humour of which this is a prime example.

Plus, after some initial reluctance, there's quite a bit of Karl Groom to see in there, too. :)

How about
VII Gates - "Fire, Walk With Me"
Therion - "Gothic Kabalah"
Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory
Virgin Black - Elegant...and Dying

All, very different but all really good in their own way

Tony

How about
VII Gates - "Fire, Walk With Me"
Therion - "Gothic Kabalah"
Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory
Virgin Black - Elegant...and Dying

All, very different but all really good in their own way

Tony

I think that Dawn of Victory is not that good, SOE (I) and LT (the first two albums) are classics. PotD is their best IMO :) . Ahhh haven't heard Rhapsody *of Fire* in a looooong time.

And Gothic Kabbalah is great, I saw them on the tour in London on 21/1/07. Damn time flies by, it's definitely time to make another trip. No money though :( .