Recommend a speaker cable?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hey dudes

So, I ordered an amp (head & cab) but forgot to add a speaker cable :lol:

Do you recommend any brand/lenght/model? I'm too lazy to make my own

I have a lot of Monster cables (monitor cables, guitar & kb cables and a couple of Studiolinks). Will any of these do?

Much obliged

Don't buy super expensive power cable...I make my own cable with a normal electrician cable with 2 jack soldered. I did a 30m power cable with 10€

DO NOT use an instrument cable.

Just pick up any normal speaker cable; 1.5 to 3 feet in length, maybe 16 gauge or thicker. Don't buy anything from Monster (or any other "premium" brand); something straightforward like Livewires will be sufficient - there is little-to-no discernible sound quality difference among speaker cables at such a short length.

DO NOT use an instrument cable.

Yes, I figured as much. Just double-checking ;)

Don't buy anything from Monster (or any other "premium" brand); something straightforward like Livewires will be sufficient - there is little-to-no discernible sound quality difference among speaker cables at such a short length.

Why not a nice cable? I don't buy them for sound quality:lol: but for reliability.

Livewires better?

Instead of buying one expensive cable you could buy 10 cheaper cables which will probably last you longer anyway.
If you dont abuse your speaker cables and they're not absolute shite they should last years.

Have to order them online, and with the import is ridiculous to buy cheap cables that can end up costing me the same- or even more.

I see Monsters are just like 5 bucks +expensive than Livewires-

Have to order them online, and with the import is ridiculous to buy cheap cables that can end up costing me the same- or even more.

I see Monsters are just like 5 bucks +expensive than Livewires-

So get the Monsters. I'm just saying you shouldn't pay a premium for an expensive cable thinking that it's going to sound better. Reliability is definitely a better reason to get a good cable - that said, the only speaker cable I've ever had go bad was a Monster cable. Go figure.

I once bought a cheap speaker cable that ended up blowing 2 of my amps, opened it up and there were several frays shorting the cable internally. It was new when this happened, not worn.

Just get something thats nice and thick. Really long ones are handy if you need to re amp in another room but want to adjust your head in the control room.

Yep I just ordered a Performer 3ft for $13.48
I could have gotten a Live Wire for $19.99, or a Musician's Gear for 5 bucks

But like I said, with the import I could easily end up paying even more for a cheapo
Plus, the Monster is prettier :)