Recommend Hosting Company

AudioGeekZine

arsehole know-it-all
Jan 1, 2008
Vancouver
www.audiogeekzine.com
Overnight Bluehost completely wiped my sites and their backup was empty.
I have only $105 refund as compensation.

I'm pretty sure a ton of stuff is lost forever.

So either I just give up on all my work since 2007 or find another hosting company and try to rebuild.

I have a backup for my studio site but since AGZ is Wordpress most of the content only existed online in the server and database. I may have a backup of the content from the last time I upgraded the software but that could be a month or more old.

So everyone, right now, make a back up of EVERYTHING on your server.

Then tell me who you trust for hosting.

I use Bluehost and you just inspired me to backup my entire site. Sorry to hear what happened to yours. I had a similar experience with the company ZZ Hosting.

They had a backup from 2:30am today but it was empty and no other backups. I've had at least one major problem a year with these assholes, never this bad. They deleted everything once before but could restore it within a day.

Any reason NOT to use Go Daddy. One of my domains is registered with them and that might be the quickest way to get back up and running.

Well I went with GoDaddy and have epicsounds.ca up and running again but I'm waiting for the dns to resolve for the other two sites. I think I have it set right but I'm impatient. It'll be back to normal as soon as that happens.
I lost a bunch of photos and some audio clips for my articles but none of the written stuff.
My sites are a lot lighter now so shouldn't be too hard to do weekly backups.

In the end it cost less with GoDaddy and they extended my 2 transferred domains another year.

Whats to stop you backing up yourself? My view is that these company's suck huge amounts of dick and they are never going to care for your data anyway. FTR I use Just host, im sure they are just as bad as anyone else though.

Sorry to hear about this Jon! Fucking lame... you're paying them for a service, and they don't deliver. Shit like that pisses me off.

Yeah. IMO I pay them so I don't have to be responsible for data on their computers.

I found a plugin to backup the database and email me. I'll also use my ftp client to sync the rest. That should cover it.

Yeah. IMO I pay them so I don't have to be responsible for data on their computers.

I found a plugin to backup the database and email me. I'll also use my ftp client to sync the rest. That should cover it.

If something happened and they wiped it (which looks like was the case here), then yes, I'd agree; they dropped the ball and they're responsible.

We tell customers flat out that they are responsible for their data. We back up nightly, run clustered servers, geographic backups, etc. so if a situation pops up (usually customer error) we can restore their last version as long as it's fairly recent. We're a much smaller place though than gigantic server farms, so it's probably not a valid comparison. Still, hopefully from here on out everyone backs up now and again as a safeguard.