Fuck JustHost

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I use JustHost to host my website and as an FTP to transfer files between myself and clients... but I just received this e-mail:

JustHost said:
According to our terms of services - http://www.justhost.com/terms:
- Hosting large amounts of data not specifically tied ("linked") to your hosting account. Just Host Ltd. encourages users looking for file storage/backup solutions to seek other services that specialize in this.
- Using a shared account as a backup/storage device is not permitted, with the exception of one cPanel backup of the same account.

Please remove content of the folders:
/arcanar1/public_html/Jeff/
/arcanar1/public_html/Joey/
/arcanar1/public_html/DaveOtero/
from your account within 24 hours to avoid suspension due to TOS Violation.

After explaining to them that I am the 'Jeff' in question and that the other two are dedicated folders for frequent clients to upload to/download from, they responded with this:

JustHost said:
Please carefully read our TOS here: http://justhost.com/terms

Any file which isn't linked on your site is data storage.

You can use a 3rd party storage servers (such as rapidshare/youtube) that specialize
in this. After that you can point your files links on the website to this 3rd
party storage server.

You can host such a web site on a dedicated server only.

Please visit the following link to get more info:

http://justhost.com/godedicated

The dedicated server service they're suggesting I use is $150/month... I pay $42 a year for my current hosting, and have been using it for almost two years now.

Am I the only one who thinks this is complete horseshit? Who else is using JustHost to do exactly what I do and hasn't had any issues?

Yeah I got the same messages from GoDaddy months ago, so they sold me their File Storage service and didn't explain to me some of it's limits, which I found out the hard way. Ended up canceling everything with them.

Damn, that's atrocious. I use JustHost in exactly the same way but have yet to receive the email. I imagine it's just a matter of time then.

It's preposterous to advertise their plans as containing 'unlimited hosting', and then pull some backhanded dirty shit like this.

Honestly, I just cleared out older files that were huge (like 6-7 albums worth of drum edits) and told them I took care of it, and the guy I was in contact with said he closed the support ticket and thanked me for my understanding and cooperation... I plan on using it in the same way I always have, I'll just have to be more diligent on clearing out older files.

I made a php file that lists the content of the files in a folder if that can help. You'd just copy that index.php page in your folders and you'll have instant "links" as requested :)
But maybe those "index.php" files have to be linked to your homepage somehow to be considered as part of your website.

If you guys are interested in strictly file storage I can hook you guys up with unlimited storage and bandwidth for $5 a month. I own my server outright and co-locate it. There is about 3TB worth of storage in it and I am not even close to using it. I can set you up with FTP accounts.

The other option is to find yourself re-seller hosting packages and sign up for those. They have no limitations on what you can "use it for" or "how you use it" other then some restrict adult content which none of you need to worry about. You can find packages with 50G of storage for about $25 a month.

I am on a very old plan that I was grandfathered into years ago and have an amazing deal. I am willing to share the wealth and only charge cause I would have to move some sites I have hosted their to their own plans which run $5 a month.

The connection is a bit slow, but its reliable, and it works great. I can host your domain on the same account if you want.

PHP 5
Ruby On Rails
MySQL
Perl
Built In E-commerce Solutions

Bumping because I'm handling the same bullshit right now with GoDaddy.

After deleting a ton of stuff from clients (stuff I didn't want to, about 30GB) they're still threatening to suspend my account. Running out of time now.

I'm password protecting the remaining directories and then creating an index of all the files in the directory. A link to there from my homepage I hope will be enough.

Most hosting companies have this 'file repository' section in their TOS.

I just don't get it. Files that just sit there don't take up bandwidth and I'm nowhere near my storage limit. Their plan that doesn't have this restriction will cost me an extra $1800/yr.

It's no bullshit guys, that's how hosting works on the internet. Fair or not fair I don't know happened to me as well.
If you need high data storage you need a different service that's it.
Not your case AudioGeekZine, since you're saying you're nowhere near the limit, I don't know why they're doing that to you.

It's no bullshit guys, that's how hosting works on the internet. Fair or not fair I don't know happened to me as well.
If you need high data storage you need a different service that's it.
Not your case AudioGeekZine, since you're saying you're nowhere near the limit, I don't know why they're doing that to you.

I too am nowhere near my bandwidth or storage limit, though, so I see no reason for them to have done what they did other than it being bullshit unfair practices. That said, I'm still with JH - 42/year and they haven't given me any grief since, knock on wood...