Recommend me a good bass dist/overdrive

The-Zeronaut

Mixing..Y U SO DIFFICULT?
Sep 24, 2007
A friend of mine want a bass dist/overdrive pedal
but only a dist pedal not a ....you know... sansamp-like to go d.i and play thru p.a´s and stuff
he wants the chain : bass---> pedal --->amp

he has an ibanez btb 4 strings with bartolini pickups and a trace elliot 1x15 amp

thanks for the help

do you think and guitar dist pedal will work?
the digitech df-7 (7 types of distortion emulations...http://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_df7_distortion_factory.htm)
or the famous tube screamer (maxon or ibanez)

I remember Razorjack on here as well as others saying that the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal was awesome, and sounded better than the Bass Driver DI...only downside is it doesn't have DI capabilities (obviously)

Rat is definitely a good choice for almost any bass. A TS can also work very well but sucks quite some bass out of the signal (more than the rat) so I wouldn't recommend that if you are playing a bass that is already lacking a bit in the bass department. With some tweeking the Boss ODB-3 can also sound pretty cool especially for some more extreme sounds. Russian big muff can work well on bass but is often a bit too much in my experience and in many cases will make it hard for the bass player to be heard when playing with two guitarists playing high gain stuff. For dark and dirty sounds I also like the Coron 15 pedal (which is some kind of japanese knock off of the MXR distortion+ I believe) but I wouldn't recommend that if you are into modern sounds.

I had a NY Big Muff and don't recommend it, it lacks a lot on tracking the lows... Specially as I play in C, and when you go to that string, just nevermind... it completely feels "broke"... Is that PROCO RAT2 a good choice?

does anyone has the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal ? i heard some clips on youtube and apparently it sounds really good

I have Sansamp, NY Big Muff and Boss ODB-3, and I really have to say that the ODB-3 is my favourite out of the three. It's quite noisy, so you might need a NS-2 or something similiar after that, but the sound is just amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
To take away the personal taste aspect, I tried all my distortion pedals and I tried to get somewhat similiar sound out of them. The first one is an exception, as even with the gain maxed it didn't produce enough distortion to compete. Theres first a short clip of the clean sound, then the four pedals and another clip of the clean sound. Tell me which distortion one you did like the best.

Signal chain: Heavy bass pick > LTD B-50 > the pedal > Orange Crush B35 (1x15) > SM57 > SM Pro Audio PR8E > RME Multiface. The levels were normalized so that they are approximately at the same loudness. As you can notice, the B-50 has quite dark sounding pickups on it and I haven't changed the strings since Q3 2008, so the sound will change a lot when you use a bass that sounds better.

No DI-sound captured, only the sound that you get from the amplifier, so you can concentrate on the characteristics of the pedal. But do pardon my sloppy playing ;)

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/bassdistortiontest.mp3 (~1.5mb)

On the third pedal, I thought I was listening to Helloween :lol:

I'd have to try them in a mix, but I think the third and fourth ones would be my choices, one for clarity while the kick makes the thump, and the other where the bass creates the boom and the kick is clicket-city.

thank you very much
he will purchase the boss bass overdrive ODB-3
thanks for the help!!!