Recommend me some doom metal

It possesses a distinct melancholia that bands like Skepticism and Thergothon do not have (not to disreespect those bands)... Was it the female vocals? The violins? For goat's sake, how someone could hate this stuff is damn near amazing to me. But then again, some people don't agree with my tastes in music... as shameful for them as that may be.

Shape of Despar was too "dreamy" for me, and not near as "funeral" as t should be. At times, SoD sound happy.

Erik said:
Shape of Despair is not one of the better funeral doom bands... AoD is a little bit too heavy on the synths and "conventional", and not really all that melancholic either... I like it more now than when I bought it, and I listen to it from time to time, but it's nowhere CLOSE to Skepticism, Thergothon and friends.
I cordially disagree.

So I was hanging out with my cousin yesterday and played him some CDs in the car. He's a huge Sabbath / NWOBHM / 70's heavy rock, so I played him some Grand Magus, Reverrend Bizarre, and Novembers Doom.

He was like, "what on earth? I don't see this stuff on Amazon.com!". There are hordes of people out there who don't even realize an underground exists, and would probably appreciate a good amount of these bands.

that's cool. But I don't understand how people can't realize that there are bands hidden under the radar.

I still remember my first date with my fiance. She got in my truck, and I believe Jester Race was playing, and it surprised her because she didn't know stuff like this existed. I mean c'mon, I hate rap, but I do realize there are underground rap acts that are better than JayZ or 50 Cent.

JayKeeley said:
He was like, "what on earth? I don't see this stuff on Amazon.com!". There are hordes of people out there who don't even realize an underground exists, and would probably appreciate a good amount of these bands.
The best part is that they ARE on Amazon.com, people just don't realize it.

Novembers Doom
Grand Magus
Rev. Bizarre

J. said:
that's cool. But I don't understand how people can't realize that there are bands hidden under the radar.
They can't be bothered to investigate further, or spend time researching stuff on the web etc. People are generally lazy and need to have stuff handed to them on a platter.

NAD said:
The best part is that they ARE on Amazon.com, people just don't realize it.

Novembers Doom
Grand Magus
Rev. Bizarre
Amazon.com is cool for one thing - the 'cross sell'. One day you'll find someone looking for Zakk Wylde and the search function will return some alternative choices.

What the logic is behind these alternative choices is, I don't know. But I do know that if it wasn't for me looking for a Malmsteen CD on Amazon, I would never have found Symphony X a few years back.

JayKeeley said:
They can't be bothered to investigate further, or spend time researching stuff on the web etc. People are generally lazy and need to have stuff handed to them on a platter.
Man, if only those poor saps knew what they were missing! Spending all your money on CDs you never listen to and arguing on the internet over which loincloth looks the gayest...

:loco:

JayKeeley said:
Man, your replies are like lightning. You really are a my pals on the trigger. :loco:
That's why I get all the ladies. "Check this out bitches, watch how fast I can talk shit on the internet!"

BTW, Justin is the best. That fucker has made me edit so many damn posts. :tickled:

The Amazon.com cross-sell thing is great. Although, it can be deadly. I remember reading reviews for Dark Tranquillity (of course 95% of the reviews are "Bestest album evar!!!"), and the cross-sell thing mentioned In Flames, At the Gates, Darkane, and Soilwork. I read all the positive reviews for Soilwork and Darkane, and fell for it.

My only experience with Soilwork was seeing them live. They played fine, but it just bored me to tears.