Recommend me some underrated old school traditional metal bands

You might want to look for Force of Evil features former KD & MF members.
I heard one track & can't wait to get that one. It's expected to be released this upcoming week. I would recommend you get Jag Panzer's Decade of the Spiked Bat, it's a good introduction to the band. I would also recommend Iced Earth's Glorious Burden, Dark Saga & Days of Purgatory. You might also want to check out Dream Theater's Images & Words & Awake. Have you ever heard Motorhead? Pick up No Remorse, it's a best of compilation that's a also a great introduction to the band.

Here are a few more that a fan of the bands you mentioned would surely love!

Diamond Head - Behold the Beginning - has the songs Metallica covered and more. All great stuff
King Diamond - The Puppetmaster - A great new album with an old school sound
Overkill - Killbox 13 - same as above, new album, "old" sound
Testament - any but my fav is The New Order
Danzig - the mighty midget!
Venom - a good "best of" should do it...
WASP - The Last Command

there are so many more, but these come to mind as "classics" like the ones you mentioned above....

Give these a try-----

Griffin - Flight Of The Griffin
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Exciter - Violence And Force
Exciter - Heavy Metal Maniac
Chateaux - Chained And Desperate
Grim Reaper - See You Hell
Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead
Warlock - Hellbound

baldyboy said:
no one here keen on helloween or queensryche?i thought they might fit the bill for the gentleman.

I like both Helloween and Queensryche but I think he was looking for more of the obscure stuff.

baldyboy said:
if its obscure you want though,i think greeno's definatly your man.i'm surprised he's only listed six or seven.he's not even breaking a sweat there.

I try my best. It just blows my mind how much metal I missed back in the day! I'm constantly finding some old band I've never heard of. That's why I don't follow the newer stuff these days, I'd rather pick up something old that I've never heard. Plus I like the history of it all, what scene the band was from and if any members went on to other bands. If you wanted to you could only collect 80's metal and NEVER run out of stuff to track down.

Black Knight (CAN)
Angel Witch (UK)
Avenger (UK)
Jaguar (UK)
Gargoyle (USA)
Hawk (USA)
Bliztkrieg (UK)
Majesty (GER)
Mesmerize (ITA)
Culprit (USA)
Blaspheme (FRA)
Sortilege (FRA)
H-Bomb (FRA)
Baron Rojo (SPA)
Meliah Rage
V8 (ARG)
Horcas (ARG)

Wyvern said:
Black Knight (CAN)
Angel Witch (UK)
Avenger (UK)
Jaguar (UK)
Gargoyle (USA)
Hawk (USA)
Bliztkrieg (UK)
Majesty (GER)
Mesmerize (ITA)
Culprit (USA)
Blaspheme (FRA)
Sortilege (FRA)
H-Bomb (FRA)
Baron Rojo (SPA)
Meliah Rage
V8 (ARG)
Horcas (ARG)

Now there's and underground list! I've never heard V8, Horace or Mesmerize. This list is like a global tour of metal, nice! I've been checking out some 80's French metal lately, Sortilege is my favorite so far (also like Warning), surprised to see some mentioned here. That Culprit album was great! They were one of the first bands signed to Shrapnel.

tedvanfrehley said:
He gets ALL The cool stuff (i'd love to see his collection!)
Ted

Stop by any time Ted. Admission into "Greeno's Heavy Metal Museum" is one six pack of your choice...... however, the better the brand the better the tour. :)

DOOM METAL
Candlemass-Nightfall-Tales of Creation-Ancient Dreams
Cathedral-Ethereal Mirror-Carnival Bizarre
Solitude Aeturnus-Beyon the Crimson Horizon
THRASH
Annihilator-Alice in Hell-Never Neverland
Demolition Hammer-Epidemic of Violence
Hajis Kitchen-ST(Alice in Chains vocals Pantera thrash)
Heathen-Victims of Deception(one of the top 10 of all time)
Sadus-Swallowed in Black
Forbidden-Forbidden Evil-Twisted Into Form(Judas Priest/testament influence)
POWER/PROG METAL
TNT-Intuition(Yngwie/80's rock sound)
Clockhammer-Klinefelter(90's Fates Warning/jazz influence)
Tony Macalpine-Maximum Security(instrumental Yngwie clone with Guests George Lynch and Jeff Watson from Night Ranger)
Psychotic Waltz-all albums(Fates Warning/Black Sabbath influence)
Atheist_Unquestionable Presence(the first progressive death metal album-Rush meets Al Holdsworth meets Death)
DEATH METAL
Grave-Soulless
Atrocity-Longing For Death

ramses said:
DOOM METAL
Candlemass-Nightfall-Tales of Creation-Ancient Dreams
Cathedral-Ethereal Mirror-Carnival Bizarre
Solitude Aeturnus-Beyon the Crimson Horizon
I'll add Solitude Aeturnus - "Through The Darkest Hour", Krux - "Krux", Well Of Souls - "Well Of Souls", Thunderstorm - "Sad Symphony", "Witchunter Tales", Memory garden - "Mirage"

Wyvern said:
I'll add Solitude Aeturnus - "Through The Darkest Hour", Krux - "Krux", Well Of Souls - "Well Of Souls", Thunderstorm - "Sad Symphony", "Witchunter Tales", Memory garden - "Mirage"
Oh yeah, of course, that's a good one, too. I just put what I think is their best, didn't want to make the list any bigger. The only S.A. album I don't have is Downfall, which I'll be getting soon. RICK WAKEMAN!!!! Only the best keyboard player...ever!!! Are you a YES fan by any chance? They are my alltime favorite band. :worship: