Moshing to traditional heavy?

Halberd3

Sep 7, 2016
Bands like Judas priest, iron maiden, diamond head (yes they're still around), Saxon and such. Do mosh pits happen at those concerts often? Should it be accepted among people who like the more traditional stuff?

Bands like Judas priest, iron maiden, diamond head (yes they're still around), Saxon and such. Do mosh pits happen at those concerts often? Should it be accepted among people who like the more traditional stuff?

I think "appropriate" mosh pits happen. Certainly, "inappropriate" mosh pits happen as well. People express their love for bands in different ways. Traditional metal bands all have songs heavy enough to mosh to. How often I can't say. I have seen small mosh pits at an Yngwie concert and at a Quiet Riot (reunion) show. It is all about respecting the people not interested in the pit/

Bryant

I've never seen people moshpit to traditional heavy metal, that's headbanging and beerslamming music!
I have seen a few pits at an iron maiden concert. And one at a Judas priest concert. But in my book they've always been rare. Though I will say some of its mosh worthy

In my contry metalfans mosh of very unspeedy and rock stuff , but its like a traditions haha ;d !

This statement sounds off-topic, but frankly, it makes a point. I have always considered AC/DC a hard rock band. They are not metal. They certainly have some metal infused in them, but still........... hard rock. If Back in Black or FTAtR etc. aren't played on the house music at the start of a metal show, be it thrash, hair, prog, traditional etc. I feel cheated. It sets a tone and just "feels right." Many others may roll their eyes etc. but it is played QUITE often and sets a mood for me.
It is all about mood and the tone of the show. If it feels right to mosh, do it. If not, don't. I moshed to an Angel Dust performance but it was after their transformation to the dark powermetal style, not the early thrash stuff. I frankly wasn't even a fan of the thrash stuff.

This statement sounds off-topic, but frankly, it makes a point. I have always considered AC/DC a hard rock band. They are not metal. They certainly have some metal infused in them, but still........... hard rock. If Back in Black or FTAtR etc. aren't played on the house music at the start of a metal show, be it thrash, hair, prog, traditional etc. I feel cheated. It sets a tone and just "feels right." Many others may roll their eyes etc. but it is played QUITE often and sets a mood for me.
It is all about mood and the tone of the show. If it feels right to mosh, do it. If not, don't. I moshed to an Angel Dust performance but it was after their transformation to the dark powermetal style, not the early thrash stuff. I frankly wasn't even a fan of the thrash stuff.
Ah well that makes sense. I've noted Iron Maiden has a few mosh worthy songs. Same with Skull Fist, though I think a majority of their stuff is mosh worthy without going full thrash. But that's nothing compared to Warbringer, all of their stuff is a mosh hell storm.

I think it's mostly just headbanging and jumping up and down. I avoid getting too close to the front now because I dislike getting squished. Though I was up near the front for Heaven and Hell and that was rather tame.

Also, some of these bands don't draw as big a crowd as they should so there's not much action. I've seen Budgie, Pentagram and Anvil play to fairly small crowds.

I've definitely been to shows where people started mashing to bands i would never have expected (i.e. Kamelot). Mostly in Worcester, MA. It's a Metal town for sure based on crowd size, but a very peculiar one based on my experience in other places.

Well, as long as whoever's doing it is having fun, I think it's great. Heck, I even like those zany guys who hardcore dance and stuff, just more colour in a colourful (haha) scene.

everything is possible. i've even seen people moshing to nirvana covers. nonetheless they were youngsters. i don't see why you wouldn't mosh to "traditional" bands like venom, sodom and slayer. who gives a damn is some old metalheads get offended, people are there to have fun

People moshed to Pearl Jam. Not a knock on PJ btw as I actually like 10 (Though I didn't care for much "Grunge" in general.) I think moshing to Modern Day Cowboy isn't much different than moshing to Even Flow.

The weirdest mosh pit I ever saw happened when Great White and Tesla were touring together back in '89. I never considered either band to be associated with mosh pits.