Looking for bands with a classic, NWOBHM or thrash sound

ChemicalWarfare84

Lightning to the Nations
Apr 9, 2021
OK, forgive me if I do this wrong. Believe me, I read that post here that I should read before posting.

That aside, for those who don't know me, my primary interests in metal are classic metal (including stuff that wouldn't necessarily have a subgenre), NWOBHM and thrash. Among my favorite bands are Black Sabbath/Ozzy, Metallica, Judas Priest, Saxon, Slayer, Diamond Head, Fates Warning, Griffin, Iron Maiden, Megadeth,Riot, Scorpions, Exodus, Tygers of Pan Tang, Anthrax, Krokus, Anvil, Acid, stuff like that. What bands would I like if I'm into those?

I'd say that Lovebites should offer (nearly) everything you are looking for and they also featuring one of the best guitar duos in the world:

(Thrash Metal)

(guitar solos galore)

(possibly their most epic song thus far)

(Power Metal)

(something Maiden-ish)

(their only "proper" ballad, but one of the best I've ever heard)

(powerful Hard Rock(?))

(possibly their heaviest Thrash Metal song thus far, also with some insane drumming - can't wait to see and hear the live-version of this song which they played on their recent "Ride for Vengeance"-tour in Japan)

(Power Metal with a progressive middle part)

If you should like these studio versions, also check out the live video-clips of their official concert-recordings in Tokyo 2019 and 2020 - look for "Live in Tokyo 2019" and "Live at Zepp Divercity Tokyo 2020" -, because the live-versions are even better. (Avoid the "Bloodstock 2018"-recording, because the sound-mixer there did a very bad job.)

Couple of random ones off top of my head I think you might like (and probably haven't already heard)...

Also, you may well have heard this before but - Angel Witch's debut is a classic

And this is a bit of a NWOBHM gem in my opinion. Great little song with a ripping solo...

Have you heard Pagan's Mind before? Really good progressive / heavy metal stuff. All their records are top notch in my opinion but, I think this is their very best...

Last edited:
To Burkhard: OK, I am now officially a Lovebites fan, although I have to say, the last three videos are unavailable for me. Do you have any alternate links?

To Podgie: Never heard of Stone, but they sound awesome. The video after that one is unavailable, though. I've heard of Virtue before because of their song "We Stand to Fight", an awesome track in my opinion. I haven't heard of Pagan's Mind before, but I'll certainly check them out.

To no country for old wainds: I haven't checked any of those out yet, but I'll give them a spin. The one between "Pagan Altar" and "Trial By Fire" is unavailable, though.

To Burkhard: OK, I am now officially a Lovebites fan, although I have to say, the last three videos are unavailable for me. Do you have any alternate links?
Looks like they are blocked in some countries, which surprises me a little bit, because they are all posted on their official youtube-channel. As regards the first of the three songs unavailble for you, does this clip work for you?:

Since it's not an official upload (but taken from an official release), it might get removed sooner or later. To me, this is definitely one of their most enjoyable live-performances, even though the song itself is not as complex as many of their other songs.

As regards the second song, the best "workaround" might be this reaction-video:

The actual song starts at 0:55 and I think there aren't any pauses during the song in this video - so you can listen to it like to an ordinary audioclip. Please note that the video which you see along with the song in this clip isn't an official one. It was fan-made and the scenes were taken from a documentary which you find on the live-DVD/Blu-ray "Five of a Kind". The song itself wasn't performed at the concert featured on that DVD, but on their recent tour.

As for the last song, try this "workaround":

The song starts at 0:40, but there are a few pauses. There are a few other reaction videos to this song, but they have even more pauses.

However, if you already liked the songs you heard, I'm tempted to say that you will probably like any song by them. I have got all their albums, except of their newest EP (which has already been released in Japan, but won't be officially released in Europe before the end of May), and all official live-DVDs (except for the one with their concert at Wacken 2018) and there isn't one single song I don't like, though there are, of course, songs I like better than others.

The video after that one is unavailable, though.

Ah ha. That video was a link to Night Viper's Exterminator. Swedish heavy metal act who have sadly broken up now, but I'm a big fan of the two albums they did do (Exterminator in particular).

This is a cool album which I think you might like too,

R-7474910-1442226707-8904.jpeg.jpg

Speedtrap from Finland. Again, broken up now but... it rips :kickass:

Last edited:

here’s another version of the blocked one

if you’re into cult nwobhm singles (‘we stand to fight’ being a legendary example) i could throw plenty of gems your way too

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions! CiG: I've heard of Geddes Axe before. That particular one is one of my favorites!

Reactions: CiG