Thrash vs NWOBHM?

Of course thrash lasted longer, new wave can only be new and a wave for so long. But if you consider the fact that it's just heavy metal then you have a more accurate comparison and obviously heavy metal has lasted much longer than thrash and been much more consistent.

NWOBHM isn't a genre afterall.
That is true. Though some people have tried to make NWOBHM a genre. Which is stupid. Do you have a preference for either?

My Opinion is withouth nwobhm dont have thrash,Band iike Raven Tank and etc is big influence to the metal world ;]

That is true. Though some people have tried to make NWOBHM a genre. Which is stupid. Do you have a preference for either?

I think I would say I prefer NWOBHM, but it's a close thing. Though like I said, comparing the two is weird to me since one is a genre and the other is a movement.

Of course thrash lasted longer, new wave can only be new and a wave for so long. But if you consider the fact that it's just heavy metal then you have a more accurate comparison and obviously heavy metal has lasted much longer than thrash and been much more consistent.

NWOBHM isn't a genre afterall.
Oh I understand that I'm not someone who believes in genres it's all just music to me but it's a good way to narrow down certain areas of music so we can talk if we just said heavy metal people would ask which era.

Oh I understand that I'm not someone who believes in genres it's all just music to me but it's a good way to narrow down certain areas of music so we can talk if we just said heavy metal people would ask which era.

What? You don't believe in genres? What does that even mean? I'm not saying that at all, obviously genres exist. I'm saying that NWOBHM is not a genre, it's a movement.

W I'm saying that NWOBHM is not a genre, it's a movement.

I like that, a movement. I always think about it as an era, but as a movement to differentiate from 70's hard rock/metal, prog and most definitively punk (well some more than others), yeah it works for me.

Thrash metal, without a doubt. Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Sepultura, Artillery, Heathen , Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Sadus, Coroner, Voivod, Razor, Whiplash, etc >>> Maiden, Diamond Head, Saxon, Def Leppard, Tank, Holocaust, Tygers of Pan Tang etc.

I mean, do we even need to compare? Should we do a side by side comparison with the greatest thrash albums with the greatest NWOBHM to see how lopsided it really is?

The NWOBHM is a movement, not a genre. Heavy metal was conceived in the late 60s as a reaction to that bubblegum pop shit that prevailed before then. When disco became popular in the mid 70s, heavier music fell out of popularity, and then it came back in the late 70s as NWOBHM, a reaction to disco.

Reactions: Wyvern
Heavy metal was conceived in the late 60s as a reaction to that bubblegum pop shit that prevailed before then.

I don't think this is accurate. Heavy metal is a development of white blues music which is about as old as bubblegum pop, especially if you extend it to black blues which is much older.

I don't think this is accurate. Heavy metal is a development of white blues music which is about as old as bubblegum pop, especially if you extend it to black blues which is much older.

Well, metal's roots extend pretty far back, even into classical music, however, heavy metal didn't really become a genre until the late 60s with The Who. To me, they are the first heavy metal band. The Who, Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath etc all rose to fame because most rock fans were tired of the happier, upbeat stuff.

Well, metal's roots extend pretty far back, even into classical music, however, heavy metal didn't really become a genre until the late 60s with The Who. To me, they are the first heavy metal band. The Who, Led Zeppelin, Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath etc all rose to fame because most rock fans were tired of the happier, upbeat stuff.

Again, I don't think this is accurate. Sounds like you're pulling it out of your ass. When exactly in The Who's career did they become metal?

Again, I don't think this is accurate. Sounds like you're pulling it out of your ass. When exactly in The Who's career did they become metal?

In the late 60s. Songs like Miles and Miles and Substitute are definitely heavy metal songs. Their later, more experimemtal stuff is a departure from metal to some extent, though. I'm not overly familiar with the timeline behind The Who's discography, so I'm working off of assumption; that Miles and Miles came out in the late 60s and Who are You came out in the mid to late 70s.

Black Sabbath is definitely the first undebatebly metal band, though some people seem to try to argue it. In my opinion, metal started a bit earlier.

Thrash metal, without a doubt. Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, Sepultura, Artillery, Heathen , Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Sadus, Coroner, Voivod, Razor, Whiplash, etc >>> Maiden, Diamond Head, Saxon, Def Leppard, Tank, Holocaust, Tygers of Pan Tang etc.

I mean, do we even need to compare? Should we do a side by side comparison with the greatest thrash albums with the greatest NWOBHM to see how lopsided it really is?
Well Megadeth kinda goes in between speed metal and regular heavy metal. So you can't compare the greatest thrash metal albums with the nwobhm? Hmmm Kill em All or the Iron Maiden debut?

Lol what? I completely disagree, Megadeth are 100% pure thrash metal. That's like saying Slayer, Kill Em All arent thrash or something. Not only are Megadeth a thrash metal band, but more-so than most other bands, they are almost the defining band of the subgenre if you ask m.

That being said. Iron Maiden debut is my favorite Maiden album, but comes nowhere near Kill 'Em All, not even close imo.

Lol what? I completely disagree, Megadeth are 100% pure thrash metal. That's like saying Slayer, Kill Em All arent thrash or something. Not only are Megadeth a thrash metal band, but more-so than most other bands, they are almost the defining band of the subgenre if you ask m.

That being said. Iron Maiden debut is my favorite Maiden album, but comes nowhere near Kill 'Em All, not even close imo.
well yeah they're thrash. But killing is my business was in my book pure speed metal. And these days listening to their more recent material. It doesn't sound as thrashy as peace sells or rust in peace. Could thrash possibly just be the natural evolution of the nwobhm.