Old School Thrash vs. New School Thrash

A lot of that has to do with nostalgia, IMO. Not saying that New School Thrash isn't imitative, but you see what I mean. Nothing is going to make us feel like the first stuff we heard when we were young.

Also, you can look at it like this. Bands who play Thrash now, "new school", can be seen as Traditionalists. Like new bands who play Bluegrass or Jazz. It's not the most popular thing in the world, and will always be derivitive of the original, but it's keeping the tradition of the music (in this case Thrash) alive and passing it down and not trying to make it something other than what it is.

I agree with your assessment 100%. Havok absolutely blew me away with their last release. There are many examples of riffs taken out of other thrash bands catalogs, particularly Slayer, but they put their own twist on them. I think both are cool.

Bryant

Sorry, old school thrash bores me :)

I feel exactly the same about new school. Everyone sounding same and has that non-human robotic over sterile perfect production. I really feel like music is being made by some machines when listening most of the new school bands ( some of old bands new albums are included ) . Riffs, drums, lack originality and energy and feeling, honesty of human touch. Sad to say that but new school is nowhere near the old school thrash.

Only new power metal bands are able to keep the spirit of their ancestors alive IMO.

Check out Spaceeater from Serbia. One of the few newer old school bands I really like. Some great speed metal. Wyvern; you will go crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:
That Space Eater was awesome but i listen to both old and new thrash just in the last two months i have bought

Bonded By Blood, Hexen, Havok, Sadus, Xentrix, Death Angel, Warbeast, Exhorder, Hirax, Tankard, Toxic Holocaust. Went to the coast and found a little record shop with all sorts of goodies ahhh Charleston......Its pretty hard to say one new is better than old because both kick ass, but the originals were the leaders. If you guys are looking for a gem in the new thrash wave pick up Hexens State of Insurgency complete with Repka cover art. Great Great melodic thrash speed album

The Space-Eater got better as it went on... epic middle section. Singer sounded a bit like Russ Anderon in the middle... awesome.

Last week I bought the blue and purple vinyl of Vektor's Black Future... my favourite new-school thrash band, truly doing something all their own. The vocals took a little bit of getting used to, but I soon started loving them...

This is the most straightforward song on the album, but it slays:

Thhree of the songs are 10 mins+, they never get boring and the crazy proggy-thrashy riffs keep on coming... They also have really nice quiet bits too. Here's one of the proggier songs:

I also really dig the production, modern but really organic!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not even worth comparing really, old school Thrash will always reign supreme. To be honest, I think it's simply down to the lack of versatility in Thrash as a whole. I'm not saying that in a bad way either, it's just the simple truth, the Thrash blueprint doesn't have very much to work with as far as experimentation goes so it's no doubt a lot of the newer bands sound rehashed.

I don't really give newer Thrash much of a chance. I like a few bands like Deceptor, Mutant, Violator, Vektor as mentioned above, Antichrist (definitely the best Thrash band in the last few years imo) and a couple of others. But shit like Municipal Waste just boils my blood. Literally made for Metal Hammer readers, they can fuck off.

Went to see Exciter today, and the Italian thrash band Neurasthenia played there as well. Pretty damn good band that is. Picked up their latest album and that's good too !

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCVTNfher6s&feature=related[/ame]

Listening to that Space Eater again... really enjoying it! Shame their new album seems pretty hard to get hold of for a reasonable price... Also sucks that the singer died in a fire :( They took the vocals for the new album from demos they did for it...

! Shame their new album seems pretty hard to get hold of for a reasonable price..

It's available at a good price at stormspell.com, but I don't know if the S&H to Scotland will suit you. My copy should arrive this week.

Their distribution unit is closed until November apparently, which means I can't buy anything... Kind of a sucky way to run a business! :lol:

CDBaby.com notified today that they have copies too. My copy arrived today (listening to it), and it's definitively a band to look forward.

Sad indeed their singer died, the mix upon his recorded demos is very well done and the music is heavy and fast as hell. Recommended new thrash band.

Since I grew up in the 80's,I'm biased and unashamedly so. I was there on day one to buy the debut releases from Hellhammer,Kreator,Sodom,Destruction,Slaughter,Death etc. so that will always remain with me.

However,there are a lot of great thrash/death bands that came out later that were and are great: Toxic Holocaust....Hammr...Slaughtered Priest….Deathhammer….etc that carry on the great tradition of old school stuff. So while I love the old stuff better,there are plenty of cool bands coming out with good stuff.

Last edited: