Old school yet "original" Thrash?

Fangface

Child of the Damned
Jan 25, 2002
France
www.fangface.com
Can you name some forgotten, overlooked, old school, yet original Thrash acts?
Bands who should have deserved more recognition since they had their own distinctive style you know, like Holy Terror, Artillery, Heathen, Toxik, etc.

I'm asking this because I'm kinda bored with all the Tallica or Slayer or Testament wannabes I'm still discovering from time to time, some of them are pretty good but also too generic (Evil Dead, Defiance, Excel, etc.).

Any ideas?

How Bout Hallows Eve :D I bought their Death and Insanity album from Metal Blade last year for like .50 cents and was pleasently surprised at the slab of Raw Primal Thrash Metal I had recieved ...its not the Absolute Best record ever But not bad for what it is! ........... Another mention Must ofcourse go to Anacrusis! they were Progressive Thrash at its best and really should have achieved more fame

Here are a few, some on the edge of metal and Thrash, but let's not start that discussion again :loco: Abattoir, Détente, Nuclear Assault, Hirax, Zoetrope, Znöwhite, Hexx, Laaz Rockit, ....and yeah, Toxik was among the best !

Keep them going :loco:

Hallows Eve kicked ass that's right, Anacrusis and Laaz Rockit too... I'm not a big fan of Hirax but I must admit they had their own thing going indeed, and I respect bands in that case.

Never heard Hexx and Zoetrope carnut, what makes them different? :)

Nuclear Assult has an album called "Something Wicked", it's the only N.A. album I own but you really shouldn'd miss out on this one - "it's fuckin' art man"(hehe lyrics from one of the songs)

zeppelin said:
Nuclear Assult has an album called "Something Wicked", it's the only N.A. album I own but you really shouldn'd miss out on this one - "it's fuckin' art man"(hehe lyrics from one of the songs)

I remember Hearing that record and Liking it that was like 8 years ago so maybe I should go and fing it! I totally forgot about that one

Anacrusis ain't rare. And I can quote Coroner, Imperium, Meliah Rage, Pariah as bands that are thrash or borderline. But again not as rare as a KD album in my collection :p, isn't Fang?

Wyvern said:
Anacrusis ain't rare. And I can quote Coroner, Imperium, Meliah Rage, Pariah as bands that are thrash or borderline. But again not as rare as a KD album in my collection :p, isn't Fang?
Nope Ana aint rare at all BUT they were Unique original and Old school :D

JonnyD said:
I remember Hearing that record and Liking it that was like 8 years ago so maybe I should go and fing it! I totally forgot about that one

Yeah it's got a clown on the cover, you'll reconize it when you see it, I'm listening to it right now, there's one song on there called "poetic justice" it's a ripoff of the "do re me" song, it's quite funny :D

zeppelin said:
Yeah it's got a clown on the cover, you'll reconize it when you see it, I'm listening to it right now, there's one song on there called "poetic justice" it's a ripoff of the "do re me" song, it's quite funny :D

I totally Remember the cover of that album and if I remember correctly that is the only NA album Danny Lilker doesnt play on ... I will totally have to find it!

Fangface said:
Keep them going :loco:

Hallows Eve kicked ass that's right, Anacrusis and Laaz Rockit too... I'm not a big fan of Hirax but I must admit they had their own thing going indeed, and I respect bands in that case.

Never heard Hexx and Zoetrope carnut, what makes them different? :)

ermmm....Never heard Hexx ... ermm ,didn't expect that from you :p ... especially for ya : http://users.pandora.be/gert.ouderits/oldschool/hexx.mp3

Zoetrope's first "Amnesty" is somewhat in the streets of Hirax, but still different, very worth to check out !

Thanks for your input folks.
More names to look for at metalmarkets :loco:

By the way Greeno, I consider Viking and Mortal Sin to be rather generic from what I remember of them... but that's just me my friend, maybe I should give them another spin ;)

Never heard Morbid Saint WC... but if they sound too close to Exodus then they don't fall in the "original" category ;) I'll check them out!

Ah, and Ulysses Siren -> :headbang:
Never heard the german Poison though, sounds cool to blast at glam parties :D

Fangface said:
By the way Greeno, I consider Viking and Mortal Sin to be rather generic from what I remember of them... but that's just me my friend, maybe I should give them another spin ;)

Yeah, I would say that Viking is a bit generic, however I think Mortal Sin is a fantastic band. May not be what you're looking for though since they do have that 80's Metallica sound.

How about Sacrifice (Cabada)? Torment In Fire is a killer album!

Apart from some other bands already mentioned (Toxik, Détente, Znowhite, Coroner), the first one to come to my mind would be Hexenhaus and their excellent debut "A Tribute To Insanity" - definitely original, just listen to their 10-minute piece "As Darkness Falls" -, but I guess you´re already familiar with them. (Or is "Dejavoodoo" - I really like it very much, so thanks again! - their only album you´ve got?)

Another original band were definitely Hades, though I don´t know if they qualify as a "proper" thrash metal band. I mean, when I think about their debut "Resisting Success", I don´t doubt songs like "The Leaders?", "On To Iliad" and "Legal Tender" are thrash, but there are also some mid-tempo songs and "The Cross" might even be called a ballad. (Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but the last song on this album - "Masque Of The Red Death" - has some really cool bass parts!)

Mekong Delta also had an absolutely unique sound, but I think you´ll already be familiar with them.

The first three Voivod albums (I don´t know if "Dimension Hatröss" still is considered thrash metal) were also definitely original thrash metal albums, but I guess they count neither as forgotten nor as overlooked.

A probably quite unknown thrash metal band might be Erosion from Germany, who released their debut "Mortal Agony" in 1988. Maybe not as unique as Mekong Delta or Voivod, but not a clone of one of the big three you mentioned, either.

Definitely overlooked and forgotten are Original Sin and their only album "Sin Will Find You Out". I couldn´t say they had a unique sound, but they were definitely original insofar as they were one of the very few all-female thrash metal bands to officially release an album! (And one thing is for sure: they can´t be a Testament-wannabe, because their album was released about one year before "The Legacy"!:D BTW, I think the music is also worth listening to, though the lyrics are a bit too clichéd for my taste.)

Finally, one could also say that The Great Kat was original in a certain way:)grin: ), at least on her debut "Worship Me Or Die!" (I think she´s still around), which features some of the most hilarious - or should I better say: crazy - lyrics ever. I mean, there are not that many bands that come up with choruses like "WORSHIP ME OR DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! WORSHIP ME OR DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE! DIE!" (in - you guessed it - "Whorship Me Or Die!"), "SATAN SAYS, FOLLOW ME! SATAN SAYS, SHOUT LOUD! SATAN SAYS, FOLLOW ME! SATAN SAYS, GO TO HELL!" ("Satan Says") or "KILL THE MUTHER! KILL THE MUTHER! KILL THE FUCKER! KILL THE FUCKER! KILL THE MUTHER! KILL THE MUTHER! KILL THE MUTHER MUTHER FUCKER!" ("Kill The Muthers") - yes, it´s all printed in capital letters on the inner sleeve of the album. As for the music, she herself calls it HYPERSPEED METAL and most of the songs last just between 2 and 2 1/2 minutes. Actually, I´ve listened to this album just a few times, after I´d bought it (about 17 years ago). I mean, she definitely can play very fast, but I really wasn´t too impressed with the songs and the music does get a bit repetitive.:D