Under Rated, Under Appreciated and yet Brilliant!

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Ok here's the drill ... today we discuss classic thrash releases that fit the title. Do NOT want to hear anything about Testament, old Metallica, Exodus, Anthrax, etc ... NONE of these bands fit this description. I wanna hear about the bands and their cds that you feel never got the recognition they should have or never broke as big as the heavyweights. Would be cool if we could keep the slightly more old school thing going with the choices. Oh and lets not get too hung up on genres and goofy catagories ... if you're not sure if its thrash or speed metal or whatever, just assume its thrash. Thrash does not = mindless

my picks:

Artillery - "Terror Squad" 1987

Broke out this little gem a week ago and it has not left my car since. Back when I 1st started playing guitar, everyone I knew at the time were too busy seeing who could learn more Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax songs. I went with Artillery. Brutal and psychotic yet fucking CLASSY riffs all over this disc. Vocals are distinct and raw, almost like a blownout Blitz from Overkill sound but this guy could belt out some serious growls when needed. Standout tracks ... "Terror Squad" & "At War With Science"

Paradox - "Heresy" 1989

Fantastic german thrash band that had a very good ear for melodies. Almost like a really cool cross of old Helloween and some Anthrax. Precision rhythm guitars at break neck speeds keep it grounded in a more thrashy approach and there are some seriously awesome tunes on here like "Heresy", "The Burning" and especially "700 Years On". Whole thing is a pretty cool concept album about the Inquisition I think. If you really like your thrash on the slightly more melodic side and have never heard this do yourself a favor and check it out.

Ok thats all I have for right now ... who's next?

Cheers!:headbang:

Have you heard brazillian legends Korzus??
look for them, they are on myspace, heard whatever from them.

yeah but why? what cds, what year? what, why, what, why??? :D

I don't even know the names of the cd's that's how it is. My friend let me hear some cd's and I thought it was reall ill shit, and I had never heard of it and I don;t think most people have.

Blood Tsunami is a newer band, their latest album was really fuckin cool, and I wanna plug their shit.

Gammacide is I think late eighties, pretty cool shit thrashy kinda Nuclear Assault status.

I'm not too much of a thrash head for obscure crap but these stuck out to me for some reason so that must mean something.

OH AND Torture Squad for the win.

Sacrifice - Soldiers Of Misfortune - 1991

Absolutely stunning album, the title track in particular. Great playing and great songwriting all around.

Bitter End - Harsh Realities - 1990

Saw the video for the title track on this album back years ago. Again, stunning guitar work. Great vocals. Great melodies. Their newer stuff is to be avoided though, big change in style.

Overall, both these albums need checking out by any Thrash fan. I don't think either of these bands got the recognition they deserved.

P.S Anyone feel like tabbing out Soldiers Of Misfortune/Harsh Realities for me? I'm really bad at tabbing, but I'd love to learn these songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fear Of God: Within The Veil

Released in 1991 on Warner Bros. (!!!) this album features the haunting and beautiful vocals and lyrics of one of the most damaged singers to ever scream into a microphone. Dawn Crosby ended up drinking herself to death at an early age, but left this legacy. I love the use of delayed and layered vocals. It also features the tasty guitar playing of Michael Carlino and his Boogie Mark IV rig. While not a classically thrash album in the vein of Exodus, Testament, etc, this is an amzing and haunting album. I saw them in a tiny club in Philadelphia and they were able to pull the whole album off.

JC Dobbs!!! You know, holds about 50 people if you're crushed. Best stage sound I've ever had. Also saw Prong and a bunch of other great bands there.

JC Dobbs!!! You know, holds about 50 people if you're crushed. Best stage sound I've ever had. Also saw Prong and a bunch of other great bands there.

Awesome! On south street, yeah I remember Dobbs real well ... I still say the Troc is the best place in Philly to see a metal band but there is something to be said for the smaller places that held up for a long time

Cheers!

Sacrifice - Soldiers Of Misfortune - 1991
Bitter End - Harsh Realities - 1990

These both sound really cool! They both almost have a early 90's hardcore vibe to them.

Check out also: Wargasm - Why play around

Meliah Rage - Solitary Solitude

Pretty solid thrash IMO. Both early 90's/late 80's stuff, engineered by Tom Soares IIRC. Tom Soares & Jamie Locke produced/engineered some really good sounding albums in the early 90's. First two Leeway albums, Sick of It All, Judge, Killing Time... Great crunchy guitars, big snares & reverbs :kickass:

Holy Terror :headbang:

"Mind Wars" from like '88 or '89 I think.

I think this band kicks ass but I never hear anybody talking about them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSju9KvKDV0&feature=related[/ame]

ok last one for today

Cyclone Temple - "I Hate Therefore I Am"

Next to Kai Hansen and one other person who I won't mention their name, Greg Fulton is a MASSIVE influence on my playing from early on. This guy puts more feel in his rhythms than a lot of people do in their leads. I had the absolute pleasure of not only meeting him once and hanging out but actually opening a gig for him. One of the coolest, most real and down to earth people I EVER met in life. Anyway here's one of the best tunes from that release