Old school yet "original" Thrash?

Dodens Grav said:
Just look around at Vibrations Of Doom, you'll find some awesome stuff, like Iron Angel.

Hell yeah, Iron Angel, that slipped my mind completely... haven't heard that name in 20 years or so :loco:

VOD is recovering it seems they lost a lot of material but definitively yes is a greast place to check for classic albums.

Dodens Grav said:
Just look around at Vibrations Of Doom, you'll find some awesome stuff, like Iron Angel.

Aw! Someone besides myself who hangs around that site! :)

Is a great place I discover several bands through them. And actually you can download the files, but the sound is very bad and then you'll need a coverter for Real Player files to MP3. By the way does anyone knows one?

Dodens Grav said:
If you want Morbid Saint or Poison mp3s, just IM me.
Thanks dude, but I think I can get some from a friend, a vinyl maniac ha.

Ok, let's see...

Sacrifice? -> hell yeah, I only got one of their albums so far but it kills.

Mekong Delta -> :worship: I haven't heard their last stuff though, I read it is solely classical!?
Hexenhaus -> I have some of their earlier songs on a tape, but no I don't hold any of the vinyls yet. Glad that you liked "Dejavoodoo", this one is sooooooo underrated, sounds like a more proggy and mystical King Diamond to me. By the way I'll have to write a little review here of what you sent to me ;)
Hades -> fan here, great overlooked band!
Voivod -> well I've never got into them, I don't know why... maybe I didn't hear the good stuff.
Erosion -> never heard of them, sounds cool.
Original Sin -> same, another forgotten treasure from the past?
The Great Kat -> ahah a friend gave me a few cds she did some time ago, I remember these classical compositions redone as Speed/Shred Metal on crack, and she even plays violin to boot o_O Funny as hell, but I wouldn't buy it heh.

Demolition Hammer -> why not, never heard of them.
Nasty Savage -> :worship: "Glaaaaaadiaaaatooooooooooooooooooooooooor". Very original band indeed.

Hexx -> mm sounds interesting...

Iron Angel -> yup, the first album was a kick ass mix of Destruction and Helloween, I like it a lot too.

Wrathchild America - both Climbing the Walls and 3D
Powermad - Absolute Power
Onslaught - In Search of Sanity
The Heretic - Breaking Point (power metal with thrash tendencies)
Coroner - almost any of their releases
Dark Angel
Suicidal Tendencies (blend of thrash and hard core)

Bryant

Dyoxen will probably be too Megadeth-ish, I assume? Well, if you should come across their First Among Equals disc you should at least give it a spin. It's not the best album in the world but I kinda like it.
I'd recommend Demolition Hammer as well. Go for Epidemic Of Violence first then pick up Tortured Existence. But stay away from their third record!
Then I'd also like to mention Exhorder. With the new 2 in 1 re-release out you can get some real Thrash treat at a reasonable price.
As for Morbid Saint - ain't sure about the Exodus thing. I have always considered them to be a Dark Angel clone. Throw in some Death Angel, Slayer and maybe some Exodus with a singer sounding like a mix between Mille and the guy from Sadus and you know what to expect. Sounds good? Well, there are two sides of this coin. It is an intense Threshfest, yes. But MS just can't live up to the other bands mentioned. You can sit and listen for a few minutes and you really enjoy the first tracks. But after a while it gets boring because they do nothing else than play as fast as they can. Just my opinion, of course.

@ Dodens Grav -
Is it really that hard to find the MS disc on CD? Just curious because I got for maybe €10 at eBay.

Fangface said:
Demolition Hammer -> why not, never heard of them.

Hmmm if you like early Kreator/Destruction/Sodom, you'll probably like this band..
Very raw vocals and extremely fast, aggressive thrashriffs (almost deathmetal in some songs like Omnivore)

Epidemic of Violence is their best album I know.. Does anyone else know Demolition Hammer?

Jezusjan said:
Epidemic of Violence is their best album I know.. Does anyone else know Demolition Hammer?
Yes, I do. Just read the posts man. :lol:
Like I mentioned above EOV is their best album of all I think. Their debut is also a solid Thrasher. Timebomb was a huge disappointment though. The band moved to the mid-tempo department which left me rather indifferent. Wasn't surprised that they drifted into oblivion afterwards.

Fangface said:
Mekong Delta -> :worship: I haven't heard their last stuff though, I read it is solely classical!?
On their last official release they covered Mussorgsky´s entire "Pictures At An Exhibition". I haven´t got this album, so I can´t tell you what it sounds like, but they had already covered two pieces of "Pictures At An Exhibition" before, namely "The Hut Of Baba Yaga" on their debut album and "The Gnom" on a Picture Disc maxi-single. "The Gnom" is also to be found as a bonus-track on the CD-version of "The Music Of Erich Zann" (which I´ve got). A few months ago, I read something about a possible new Mekong Delta album later this year, but I don´t know any more details or whether this was just "rumours".

Hexenhaus -> I have some of their earlier songs on a tape, but no I don't hold any of the vinyls yet.
I´ve got "A Tribute To Insanity" on vinyl and CD (so I could copy it for you), "The Edge Of Eternity" on vinyl and "The Awakening" on CD. I haven´t listened to the last two for quite a long time, but from what I remember, "The Edge Of Eternity" was very technical stuff and I think a few parts even reminded me a bit of Mekong Delta. "The Awakening" was more melodic, but it was my least favourite of their releases. Not really bad, but, well, I guess this might be the reason why I didn´t buy "Dejavoodoo" - obviously a wrong decision, as it now has turned out!

Glad that you liked "Dejavoodoo", this one is sooooooo underrated
I fully agree!

By the way I'll have to write a little review here of what you sent to me ;)
In spite of the fact that it´s not exactly all old school?:D

Voivod -> well I've never got into them, I don't know why... maybe I didn't hear the good stuff.
Do you remember what songs/albums you got to hear? IMO, their best albums are still "Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatröss" and "Nothingface" - and maybe "Phobos". I was really disappointed by their last album "Voivod" and I´m not too fond of "Angel Rat" either. Actually, they changed their style quite a lot over the years, but still never sounded like any other band. However, if you´re looking for some nice melodies or melodic guitar solos, Voivod are definitely not what you are looking for!

Erosion -> never heard of them, sounds cool.
I had read a very enthusiastic review about this band and their debut album in a metal fanzine way back then, but my expectations were not really fulfilled. "Mortal Agony" is a good thrash metal album, yet I wouldn´t call it a classic. But at least the reviewer in the aforementioned fanzine thought different, so maybe others might, too.

Original Sin -> same, another forgotten treasure from the past?
I really liked the album and it might still happen (though very rarely) that I listen to it nowadays. To call it a "forgotten treasure" might cause wrong expectations, but the music has a certain appeal. (At least to me, haha!)

The Great Kat -> ahah a friend gave me a few cds she did some time ago, I remember these classical compositions redone as Speed/Shred Metal on crack, and she even plays violin to boot o_O Funny as hell, but I wouldn't buy it heh.
I haven´t heard any of the redone classical compositions, but I think "funny" might be the right word in this context.

Burkhard said:
On their last official release they covered Mussorgsky´s entire "Pictures At An Exhibition". I haven´t got this album, so I can´t tell you what it sounds like, but they had already covered two pieces of "Pictures At An Exhibition" before, namely "The Hut Of Baba Yaga" on their debut album and "The Gnom" on a Picture Disc maxi-single. "The Gnom" is also to be found as a bonus-track on the CD-version of "The Music Of Erich Zann" (which I´ve got). A few months ago, I read something about a possible new Mekong Delta album later this year, but I don´t know any more details or whether this was just "rumours".
Yeah I like their classical covers, that's one of the things that made them stand from the rest IMO.

I´ve got "A Tribute To Insanity" on vinyl and CD (so I could copy it for you), "The Edge Of Eternity" on vinyl and "The Awakening" on CD. I haven´t listened to the last two for quite a long time, but from what I remember, "The Edge Of Eternity" was very technical stuff and I think a few parts even reminded me a bit of Mekong Delta. "The Awakening" was more melodic, but it was my least favourite of their releases. Not really bad, but, well, I guess this might be the reason why I didn´t buy "Dejavoodoo" - obviously a wrong decision, as it now has turned out!
Well, "Dejavoodoo" was released 6 years after "Awakening" and Hexenhaus had become a different band with a different line-up, maybe that's why nobody cared about them anymore. And they even stopped playing thrash, that was confusing.

In spite of the fact that it´s not exactly all old school?:D
hehe yep, I'll try to cheat on the musical labels/genres :loco:

Do you remember what songs/albums you got to hear? IMO, their best albums are still "Killing Technology", "Dimension Hatröss" and "Nothingface" - and maybe "Phobos". I was really disappointed by their last album "Voivod" and I´m not too fond of "Angel Rat" either. Actually, they changed their style quite a lot over the years, but still never sounded like any other band. However, if you´re looking for some nice melodies or melodic guitar solos, Voivod are definitely not what you are looking for!
I heard their debut and it bore the hell out of me to be honest :) And a few other later songs which were uuuh... weird. Original but I couldn't get into them.

I had read a very enthusiastic review about this band and their debut album in a metal fanzine way back then, but my expectations were not really fulfilled. "Mortal Agony" is a good thrash metal album, yet I wouldn´t call it a classic. But at least the reviewer in the aforementioned fanzine thought different, so maybe others might, too.
Not so long ago I put my hands on some old french metal mags from the 80's, and I had the pleasure to read some reviews of my favorite thrash albums... and except for the big names, all of them were slagged off by the press! :lol:

I haven´t heard any of the redone classical compositions, but I think "funny" might be the right word in this context.
Hysterical is also a quite accurate word to describe her work :loco: