Old School Thrash vs. New School Thrash

Skykhan

New Metal Member
Aug 2, 2010
Somehow new school thrash band's music feel so much synthetic to me. I can't stop listening old school bands from time to time going back deep into my archieve but when it comes to new school actually it doesn't feel the same and i can not get same listening pleasure. They just feel so synthetic and imitative ( with advantages of new technologies ) to me.

It feels like listening to Bach with better recording but never give the taste and listening pleasure of original.

What do you all think about old vs. new school thrash ?

Old thrash is better in pretty much all situations. I agree that most new thrash bands are pretty unimaginative; however there are exceptions. Vektor are an example of a young thrash band doing something pretty unique, totally interesting and utterly compelling. Mutant are also good, though they so far have only released a 4-track self-released EP. But it's really great. I also like Evile and Gama Bomb are a fun live band...

Still, I usually find myself listening to Forbidden, Xentrix, Atrophy, Vendetta, Anthrax, Demolition Hammer, Depressive Age, Mortal Sin, Paradox, Heathen,Wargasm, Sacred Reich, etc. etc.

Those old bands just had the thrash magic... can't wait for the new Forbidden album!

Old thrash is better in pretty much all situations. I agree that most new thrash bands are pretty unimaginative; however there are exceptions. Vektor are an example of a young thrash band doing something pretty unique, totally interesting and utterly compelling. Mutant are also good, though they so far have only released a 4-track self-released EP. But it's really great. I also like Evile and Gama Bomb are a fun live band...

Still, I usually find myself listening to Forbidden, Xentrix, Atrophy, Vendetta, Anthrax, Demolition Hammer, Depressive Age, Mortal Sin, Paradox, Heathen,Wargasm, Sacred Reich, etc. etc.

Those old bands just had the thrash magic... can't wait for the new Forbidden album!

Add Devastation - Idolatry to your playlist for old thrash for me :) Another great thrash album from very early 90's just like Depressive Age's. Depressive Age was very impressive band from early 90's. I remember them. However sad to say I only have their First Depression album. Very nice to see someone mentioning them...

I searched for 'rare thrash' on ebay a year or so ago and bought the cheapest album I had never heard of and it just happened to be First Depression. It's great, really distinctive... I got their second album a few weeks ago but haven't given it a proper listen yet. I love progressively inclined thrash though, it's the best! That's why Twisted into Form will always be my #1 thrash album!

I'll have a listen to Devestation, I'm not familiar with them :) Cheers! You should check out Vektor's Black Future though, it's mental! And incredible!

It feels like listening to Bach with better recording but never give the taste and listening pleasure of original.

I can't get behind this analogy because it's impossible to hear or own an "original" Bach recording...all recordings of Bach's music are performances of the same thing recorded centuries after his death. Whereas Lazarus A.D. are simply playing in the same genre/style as, say, Testament.

I can't get behind this analogy because it's impossible to hear or own an "original" Bach recording...all recordings of Bach's music are performances of the same thing recorded centuries after his death. Whereas Lazarus A.D. are simply playing in the same genre/style as, say, Testament.

Yes Bach was not the right example and you made the logical explaination for it. On the other hand I strongly believe you understood what I was trying to say.

Lazarus A.D. might play same style, genre as Testament technically and even might sound much clearer but what I am talking about is feeling you get when you are listening. It's more about feeling, energy ( those old thrash riffs ), creativity, originality. Point is most of the new school really sounds very synthetic and imitative. Ok let's put it like that. Think of yourself they clone you but your clone is just a robot. It looks same just like you but doesnt have any feelings or the same sense of humor etc. Lol guess I'm pretty bad at making examples hope you understand what I am trying to say and sorry for my bad english.

Nowaday's thrash feel's more like re-invented pop to me. I listen to some band I might think oh it is fun while listening but don't even remember their name next day. Old thrash was born of rebel in music. New thrash feels more like a commercial movement to me to take advantage of those who miss old thrash. However I must admit that Hatchet, Hypnosia, Enforcer, Occult, Warning SF, Gamma Bomb, Immaculate are some of bands from new school who draw my attention.

What I was trying to say while setting up Bach example was more like think about a original Black Sabbath album from early days and some other band or even themselves play same songs in 2010 maybe with much better technical oppurtunities and clearer sound. I guess we all admit that it would be pretty much fun but won't give the joy and excitement of the time you heard the original recording. Maybe for old schoolers like myself situation is just like that. We still think old school bands were great and better than new school because when we are listening we just go back to our memories of joy and excitement about this music when we heard it first from its original creators. For younger ones new school might still be great and I have no problems with that.

I’d have to agree. The problem new thrash bands face is that they are remembering a music movement instead of being on the cutting edge of one. That gives the originals more punch because they were blazing new ground when they did it. Like most revivals or fads modern thrash will be limited because it looks backwards and not forwards. That being said I do enjoy some of the newer bands. Evile is a great band and Warbringer did a really great job on their original EP (the full debut not as much). Gamma Bomb and Havok are also solid thrash outfits. So I hope to see some bands continue to slug it out in the underground.

What I really hope to see come out of the thrash resurrection is a greater influence of thrash in other styles. More thrash and less breakdowns please!

Lazarus A.D. might play same style, genre as Testament technically and even might sound much clearer but what I am talking about is feeling you get when you are listening. It's more about feeling, energy ( those old thrash riffs ), creativity, originality. Point is most of the new school really sounds very synthetic and imitative.

A lot of that has to do with nostalgia, IMO. Not saying that New School Thrash isn't imitative, but you see what I mean. Nothing is going to make us feel like the first stuff we heard when we were young.

Also, you can look at it like this. Bands who play Thrash now, "new school", can be seen as Traditionalists. Like new bands who play Bluegrass or Jazz. It's not the most popular thing in the world, and will always be derivitive of the original, but it's keeping the tradition of the music (in this case Thrash) alive and passing it down and not trying to make it something other than what it is.

Oh old school all the way. It is great that the new bands are keeping the spirit of thrash alive, but the music is boring to me. I recently bought Gama Bomb's "Tales from the Grave in Space" and every song sounds pretty much the same to me. Though I respect the guys for what they're doing!

I'm in between. I love old school bands but I don't have an issue with newer bands like Abandoned, Brute Force, Blatant Disarray, Savage Messiah, Invection, T.C.F., Thrashist Regime.

But I think the original poster refers to bands like Evile or Fueled By Fire which IMO try too hard to sound like they suppose to...and fail.

:lol: :cool: Cheers man!

I think with Evile if you give their second album a spin you'll find that they've really grown as a band. It's really not the straight down the line 80s thrash worship of the first album at all...

Actually I dislike the second worst than the debut :ill:. And I'm still waiting for a TR full-lenght ;)

I rememeber even some underground bands could easily blew you away with their amazing releases in 80's or very early 90's from all around the world. Few jumps into my mind just now are Turbo -Last Warrior, Protector - Leviathan's Desire/Golem, S.D.I. Satan's Defloration Inc., Tynator - Living In pain, Bezerker - Lost, The Crucified - Pillars Of Humanity, Curare - Just A Scratch, Detritus - Perpetual Defiance, Disabuse - Sorrow & Perdition, Dogs With Jobs - Shock and many many more...

I still have to insist on lack of energy, honesty and creativity even quality musicianship in new school thrash. Some band's so called new thrash even sound very closer to industrial metal IMO. However, on the other hand, of course there are talented young bands and it is very nice to see them try to keep things alive.

Actually I dislike the second worst than the debut :ill:. And I'm still waiting for a TR full-lenght ;)

It's happening, just very slowly...

Infected Nations is not an instant album but once you take the time to get into it you really find that it rocks hard... however if it ain't your thing then it ain't your thing and that's fine! :)

A lot of that has to do with nostalgia, IMO. Not saying that New School Thrash isn't imitative, but you see what I mean. Nothing is going to make us feel like the first stuff we heard when we were young.

Also, you can look at it like this. Bands who play Thrash now, "new school", can be seen as Traditionalists. Like new bands who play Bluegrass or Jazz. It's not the most popular thing in the world, and will always be derivitive of the original, but it's keeping the tradition of the music (in this case Thrash) alive and passing it down and not trying to make it something other than what it is.

Sure nostalgia has got something to do with it but I don't think it is all about nostalgia and maybe it is even more about new production technologies. Here is a very interesting thread which discuss why most of the new school bands don't have the taste of old school. This thread might be exactly about what I am trying to say...

http://www.thrashunlimited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9401

Production has a lot to do with it. Everyone's using Pro-Tools and all the same plug-ins and drum samples...it's all too sterile.

I guess is a technology-driven problem. No one wants (or can) to use old recording analogic boards anymore.