Under Rated, Under Appreciated and yet Brilliant!

Don't worry, it thrashes half way through.

First generation Christian metal. Before it got crappy. Reppin' the pioneers of alternative Christian music back in the day.
"Believer - Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)"

Last edited by a moderator:
Despair - Decay of Humanity - 1990
Despair - Beyond All Reason - 1992

Former german thrash with Waldemar Sorychta on guitars and Markus Freiwald on drums.
You have to get used to the vocals and the guitarsound is a bit weird but once you got it you'll never regret it. It really adds to the music in a strange way.
Highlights on this album are of course the guitars but the drumwork really takes it to another level that makes it unique, very versatile bassdrum parts.
The music often got a nice eerie and atmospheric feel to it.
I've listened to both albums hundreds of times and still can make out so many details, really good songwriting.

Tried to find some audio clips via Youtube/MySpace but couldn't find any.
Truly a REALLY underrated gem. Prolly one of my fav. bands of all time.

Oh fuck, where to get started? I just recently re-discovered my SWEET collection, a 70's British hard rock/glam act that was well, fucking awesome in my book. Quite popular in their day, but seem to have dropped off the "classic rock" map, thankfully!

But, there's a million bands out there that I can't think of off the top of my head. Hmmm.... Death Angel! 3 Inches of Blood! Armored Saint! Fine Tooth Combine! ......Weirdstone! Amazing unsigned Canadian act that really went nowhere, but fucking great music.

Flotsam and Jetsam-Doomsday for the deceiver and No place for disgrace. Always thought they got screwed on the fame thing, fantastic musicians

Oh fuck, where to get started? I just recently re-discovered my SWEET collection, a 70's British hard rock/glam act that was well, fucking awesome in my book. Quite popular in their day, but seem to have dropped off the "classic rock" map, thankfully!

But, there's a million bands out there that I can't think of off the top of my head. Hmmm.... Death Angel! 3 Inches of Blood! Armored Saint! Fine Tooth Combine! ......Weirdstone! Amazing unsigned Canadian act that really went nowhere, but fucking great music.

Canadian. Perhaps crossover but still thrash imo. Love these guys.
I want to live forever, it's my divine right. :kickass:
You're better off dead than captured alive. :kickass:
I could say the same about D.R.I. except the canadian part and their first couple of albums were strictly hardcore but awesome just the same.
dbc.jpg

8338.jpg

Also:
Blood Feast - Face Fate EP :kickass:

41FWR2250DL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also... now it may be a bit lame, but at the time it was pretty :kickass:
Death%20and%20Insanity.jpg

Also... Tom Araya's brother's band back in the day, again, more hardcore though:

Bloodcum.jpg

Mordred - In This Life
e704806vw40.jpg

Vio-lence:
Repka_Violence_Eternal.jpg

Coroner and Flotsam are awesome but I would consider them part of the more popular bands like Anthrax, Exodus, Testament, ect. back then at least.
Even Sacred Reich and Metal Church.

Great albums:
1357.jpg

tn_5o997065.jpg

I wish Coroner and DBC were back together still making great music. :cry:

Slapdash - Swedish Thrash..looked for them on youtube but there is only videos of some kids who call themselves Slapdash that play something completetly different.

Anacrusis - I think these guys fuckin rule, especially on "Screams & Whispers". If you look for it, the band decided to put up all thier albums for download on thier website as they would rather people heard the music than making money off it. Good shit!

Budgie - People only ever recognize the songs Metallica played, but they are some old school Bad-assedness!!

Lucifers Friend - Hard stuff to get ahold of, it seems...like old Uriah Heep. Trouble did a cover of thier "Ride In The Sky" on Simple Minded Condition. Good band.

NonExist - Put Andromeda & Defleshed together...check it out sometime, it's interesting.

Nocturnus - I guess like old Morbid Angel. creepy death keyboards...instead of one-off keyboard songs every few tracks, the keys are mixed in with the rest of the songs.

Burning Inside - Seems a lot of people havn't heard Richard Christy's bands he's been in before Death, let alone this one.

Extol - I dont' ever hear anyone talking about them. I guess they are a christian band, but you'd probably never know by listening to them.

Division By Zero - Proggy stuff in the vein of Sikth, but not as nuts. More keyboard/power prog than Sikth

Heathen - I guess these guys are christian too...they sound like old Anthrax/Armored Saint thrash

Pure Sweet Hell - Van Williams' side project...a little different than Nevermore, but worth a spin.

Quiet Room - For fans of older Dream Theater/Fates Warning

Scissorfight - just plain fucked up. I reccomend it. I dont' know how to describe it.

Solstice - Rob Barret, I believe, left Cannibal Corpse and put this band together. Guest solos from James Murphy...fuckin excellent thrash!!!

Believer - Another christian thrash band....no I'm not christian, I just happen to have material from a few awesome bands who happen to be christian. These guys are pretty damn good.

Anacrusis - I think these guys fuckin rule, especially on "Screams & Whispers". If you look for it, the band decided to put up all thier albums for download on thier website as they would rather people heard the music than making money off it. Good shit!

Oh yeah, was just blasting out "Screams & Whispers" a few weeks ago. VERY under rated band without a doubt.

Heathen I agree with also, don't know about the christian part but that really doesn't matter either way ... Always thought Victims of Deception was just a monster of a disc. Glad to hear they're on the comeback trail (Andy? You getting in on this?)

Believer is a christian band but again, I don't ever consider them one because they're not really "preachy" ... just wrote fantastic thrash, good to know they're almost done a new one also

I could go on and on about old thrash, but I'll limit my discussion to two bands.

I've always had a ton of respect for Obliveon (Canada). My friend ordered their tape "From this Day Forward" back in '90/'91, and it hooked me. Nemesis, Cybervoid, Carnivore Mothermouth - they are all good and groundbreaking. They were tighter than tight, and the guitarist engineered much of their stuff on his own. They had a few songs in French, which was a very different and cool thing to do in the world of thrash, which liked to stick mainly to the english language. They never really got the attention they deserved, but they blow away much of their peers in my book.

cyb.jpg

I think Kublai Kahn's Annihilation was a solid release too. Great songs, nice production (for an independent release back then). And as if the dude didn't have it bad enough for getting kicked out of Megadeth, Mustaine ended up reviewing their album in Kerrang or some rag and got the pleasure of ripping it to pieces (not even acknowledging that the guy had been in Megadeth - meanwhile reeling himself for having gotten the boot from you-know-who).

kk.jpg

Assassin - "Interstellar Experience"

Assassin-InterstellarExperience-Front.jpg

Blind Illusion - "The Sane Asylum"

493519176_65a3795307.jpg

D.A.M - "Human Wreckage"

7b84eed9a3.jpg

Deathrow - "Deception Ignored"

Deathrow-DeceptionIgnored-Front.jpg

E-X-E - "Stricken By Might"

4527.jpg

Indestroy - "indestroy"

indestroy+2.jpg

Indestructible Noise Command - "The Visitor"

08374a866753b5fbab7f71a9d3af6ab0_full.jpg

Infernal Majesty - "None Shall Defy"

infernalmajestynoneshalldefyfrontvh5.jpg

Protector - "Golem"

1199258619_protector-golem-front.jpg

Razor - "Violent Restitution"

violent.jpg

Nasty Savage - "Nasty Savage"

nasty+savage.jpg

Viking - "Man Of Straw"

3448.jpg

Onslaught - "Power From Hell"

Onslaught-PFH.jpg

Mortal Sin - "Mayhemic Destruction"

MortalSin-MD.jpg

some of you have already mentioned a bunch of my other top picks.... especially Artillery's "Terror Squad".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone would pull out the Viking "Man of Straw" ace!

I was just getting ready to do it but I didn't want to be putting up too many things.

By the way, I guess James and I are 2 of the 6 people who bought the Deathrow TAPE! hahaha

Cheers!

Anyone here a Forced Entry fan? I loved these guys so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I guess James and I are 2 of the 6 people who bought the Deathrow TAPE! hahaha

This was one of the only tapes I ever had stolen out of my car. Stolen during a period when Death Row Records (the rap label) was big. That means some dude got home and put the tape in thinking it was going to be rap and he got blasted by German thrash. Probably the only time in his life he heard good music.

Cool to see James's faves.

This album has SICK solos:
Wrath-NTF.jpg

This thread rules.