Nwobhm

Ayeka said:
That drives home what idiots they are ;)

Yeah i stopped reading those 2 magazines when i realized they had the same artists month after month with almost the same interviews lol so im still searching for the ultimate metal magazine.. was reading Metal Maniacs but the roomies say its not worth reading that one.. any suggestions? ... :confused:

Hm.. nice topic.
Wyvern said:
Do these bands sound alike? IMO they don't, so we can't classify NWOBHM as sound but as chronological movement.
very true... but I wonder whether all NWoBHM-bands knew they were in this movement. I guess not. So it was only classified afterwards. (Which leads to many discussions where to draw a line, between the old and the new wave but that's another thing.)
Yeah, those bands are sure different. Being a fan of heavy metal doesn't have to mean you like every band of that kind, and the same goes for NWoBHM. I gues sit's something that has genre's within a genre.
It's probably different for everyone. I for instance don't like doomish-nwbohm (as pagan altar, desolation angels but I do like witchfynde for some reason) and other do and maybe they hate Saracen or Tygers of Pan Tang because they sound to enregetic or too happy or whatever.
And then there are bands that sound like NWOBHM but they aren't even from the UK. Like Metalucifer (JAP), Gotham City (SWE), Killer (BEL), H Bomb (FRA), Gilgamesj (HOL) just to name a few... I don't just like the strict "nwobhm", I like the "nwobhm-sound". There is a difference, I guess.
ElectricWiz" said:
"What the fuck are they putting a story about Tygers of Pan Tang next to Venom for?"
exactly.. if you think about it, it's pretty damn weird those bands are so different but still so alike.
Doea anybody know the band Trojan from UK? They fit right in the nwobhm time, and sure you can hear that, but still I wouldn't call them nwobhm without consideration. But with Venom I would. Now, where's the difference made?

Griffin- said:
And then there are bands that sound like NWOBHM but they aren't even from the UK. H Bomb (FRA),
I'll expect to sound alike since they come from the same time frame albeit a different region. Same with Baron Rojo from Spain.

I mean get yourself in 1983 and you want ot put on a rock band. You'll probably got influenciated by the rock monsters of the 70's (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath.
If you're a guitar player Jimi Hendrix will also would have been a major influence.
If you're in England then Motorhead and Judas Priest will also play a definitive influence.

Catch my drift? To me is mostly a historical fact, then a geographical one. Perfectly I can say today: gee Wolf sounds like Sortilege...

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Yeah i stopped reading those 2 magazines when i realized they had the same artists month after month with almost the same interviews lol so im still searching for the ultimate metal magazine.. was reading Metal Maniacs but the roomies say its not worth reading that one.. any suggestions? ... :confused:
Heh, this is why we have the internet - magazines suck! I rarely read 'em anyway, but I will plug some good 'uns: Classic Rock and Powerplay for traditional stuff, Brutalluca for kvlt-as-fvck interesting reads and promo with 20+ songs, and free fanzines can be good too!