Who was the first .... ?

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
In your opinion, wich were the fore-runners of following Metal styles ? Most Metal styles had different band influences that melted into one style, but often some bands really had a certain sound a little earlier than others...

so, which was in your opinion ...
1) The first Hardrock band
2) The first Heavy Metal band
3) The first NWOBHM band
3) The first Speed/Thrash metal band
4) The first Black Metal band
5) The first Prog Metal band

The first Hardrock band : some would say Cream (Hawk? ;) )... maybe Led Zeppelin
The first Heavy Metal band : IMO Black Sabbath was the first Metal band but Judas Priest defined the "heavy" thing as we know it today a few years later
The first NWOBHM band : Diamond Head or Saxon
The first Speed/Thrash metal band : heh we talk about it in the other thread, well... might be Exodus or Metal Church or Metallica
The first Black Metal band : depends on what "Black Metal" means, could be Witchfynde, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Hellhammer...
The first Prog Metal band : Fates Warning if Rush isn't considered Metal

Hard Rock: The Who, Led Zeppelin

Heavy Metal: puh, already gets difficult, shouldn´t have gone into this. It is a thin line and beginning of the 80s I guess it was suddenly heavy metal, instead of Hard Rock. Maybe Black Sabbath

NWOBHM: maybe NWOBH started heavy metal, so for me it is the same answer: Black Sabbath, besides that Juadas Priest

Speed: Slayer

Black: Venom (aren´t they english as well ?)

Prog: ?

I will try my best to answer these. But remember these are *my* choices. You cab have yours as well. :)

1) The first Hardrock band: Blue Cheer
2) The first Heavy Metal band: Judas Priest
3) The first NWOBHM band: Iron Maiden back in 1977/78
3) The first Speed/Thrash metal band: Exodus
4) The first Black Metal band: Venom
5) The first Prog Metal band: Culprit

1) Released their album in 1968 but were experimenting a lot sooner with the hardrock sound.

2) Screaming vocals en piercing solo's this way was unheard of on Sad Wings of Destiny and Stained Class

3) After having seen the 'early years part I DVD from maiden I realized how pioneering their style was back in the early 70s

4) Venom released their 'In League With Satan' single. Back in 1981!!!
See here: http://www.nwobhm.com/venom.htm
Without a doubt the first black metal band.

5) Seattle's Culprit are not that known but they should be. The first time I heard of them was on the legendary "US Metal II" sampler. Their song "players" made a lasting impression on me. It was full of great vocals, tempo changes and fantastic leads. When their album was released in Shrapnel records I bought it right away. It was plagued by a very bad production but the music was awesome!! Culprit are without a doubt the first ever prog-metal band.

Hawk said:
3) The first NWOBHM band: Iron Maiden back in 1977/78

3) After having seen the 'early years part I DVD from maiden I realized how pioneering their style was back in the early 70s
I was going to say, I have a couple books on metal, and in one it mentions a record label (i dont remember which) wouldve signed Maiden if they would just "go punk". I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it makes sense, seeing as record labels are always trying to sign the up and coming style of music to cash in on it

#1_Droogie said:
I was going to say, I have a couple books on metal, and in one it mentions a record label (i dont remember which) wouldve signed Maiden if they would just "go punk". I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it makes sense, seeing as record labels are always trying to sign the up and coming style of music to cash in on it

Yup, that was in the enciclopedia of HM...

rokk said:
I would agree with Hawk's picks for each category... except

3) The first Speed/Thrash metal band: I would say would be MOTORHEAD!

Well it depend on what you catagorize as Speed/Thrash metal. But I salute your choice! :wave:

carnut said:
so, which was in your opinion ...
3) The first NWOBHM band
5) The first Prog Metal band

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm

1) Deep Purple
2) Black Sabbath
3) Saxon
4) Metallica
5) Venom
6) Rush

Hawk said:
5) Seattle's Culprit are not that known but they should be. The first time I heard of them was on the legendary "US Metal II" sampler. Their song "players" made a lasting impression on me. It was full of great vocals, tempo changes and fantastic leads. When their album was released in Shrapnel records I bought it right away. It was plagued by a very bad production but the music was awesome!! Culprit are without a doubt the first ever prog-metal band.
Culprit rocks!

In that respect one could also say that Mercyful Fate was the first prog metal band, since their first EP (1982) featured lots of tempo changes and odd time signatures for heavy metal, never heard before vocals, unusual absence of chorus sometimes, etc. And how about a song like "Satan's Fall" on Melissa...
Ah well, it's my own dumb theory of Mercyful Fate being proto-prog metal :D

Fangface said:
Culprit rocks!

In that respect one could also say that Mercyful Fate was the first prog metal band, since their first EP (1982) featured lots of tempo changes and odd time signatures for heavy metal, never heard before vocals, unusual absence of chorus sometimes, etc. And how about a song like "Satan's Fall" on Melissa...
Ah well, it's my own dumb theory of Mercyful Fate being proto-prog metal :D

Perhaps Fates Warning? ;)

I am having deja-vu from the SP forum ;)

1) The first Hardrock band is The Who
2) The first Heavy Metal band is Black Sabbath
3) The first NWOBHM band is Saxon
3) The first Speed/Thrash metal band is Metallica
4) The first Black Metal band is Venom
5) The first Prog Metal band is King Crimson

Fangface said:
hehe we had the same kind of discussion indeed, but now the focus is on Wyvern's favorite cover art ;)

Leave me out of this! :dopey:

It's Rush, Rush, Rush, damn it can you understand it? :lol:

Well, for my own answer;

I really wouldn't know...I have to check out different bands that people claim to be the base for hardrock/metal music. Most often bands as Yarbirds, Cream, Zeppelin...Think I need to make time, listen to them and put the releases in the correct date to make a good choice...
As for this I think Judas Priest made the cornerstone of what I concider "Heavy Metal".
3) The first NWOBHM band
I would say Diamond Head.
Exodus
Venom made a good start but I think Hellhammer lean more to what I understand by "Black Metal"
5) The first Prog Metal band[/QUOTE]
Hard one...May be Queensryche, may be Fates Warning...and yeah, Culprit did add a lot for the complexity in Progmetal. I still go for queensryche :loco:
And Rush ??? yeah, but I concider that more Symphonic hardrock...But it's that symphonic hardrock that indeed is in the progmetal roots...

carnut said:
Well, for my own answer;

Venom made a good start but I think Hellhammer lean more to what I understand by "Black Metal"

I thought about Hellhammer, but Venom came a few years before. I also have Bulldozer, Bathory and Possessed as forerunners of the balck metal movement and true holders of the spirit of it, which IMO has been severely distorted after them.

As for Exodus, Metallica had two albums before Exodus debut which also coincides with Overkill debut. Anthrax released their debut before Exodus too.

I'll quote BNR on this one
Thrash metal is generally characterized by a fast pace, a staccato, chunky guitar riffing style, and aggressive vocals. Metallica's Kill 'Em All, released in 1983, is arguably the first true thrash album, with healthy thrash scenes sprouting in the USA (particularly the San Francisco area), Germany, and elsewhere by the late eighties.

1) The first Hardrock band: Have no idea!
2) The first Heavy Metal band: Black Sabbath
3) The first NWOBHM band: (not really one band but a term coined after Angel Witch, Iron Maiden & Samson started gaining noteriety.
3) The first Speed/Thrash metal band:Metallica
4) The first Black Metal band:Venom
5) The first Prog Metal band:Have no idea!
-
6) The First Death Metal band: Hellhammer