Metallica OR Slayer...... Who was the better thrash band?

Who is better?

• Metallica

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Slayer

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

Death Opeth

Jan 18, 2003
Pennsylvania
Who was the better trash type band? Metallica Or Slayer....

In my opinion, Older Metallica was some fo the greatest stuff to hit the earth. They were Slayer, PLUS more. Slayer had crappy guitar solos,and not that organized. Were are Metallica could put out some of the greatest metal, and have a good ballad that keeps people coming back for more. Who do you tink is better?

Overall Metallica expresses more talent and they are more lyrically versatile. They changed their sound quite drastically, but they are still talented musicians. Although i must admit i'm very skeptical about how the new album will turn out

I'd have to say Slayer. I really liked Metallica's first two albums, but Hell Awaits put me in a daze for months.

Both are really close though. I remember staring at my speakers in awe when I heard "Fight Fire With Fire" the first time, too :)

I'll give Slayer the edge, though. Hell Awaits, man. Hell Awaits.

--S

Slayer gave the definition of thrash metal and made the top and absolute thrash metal album ("reign in blood).
but metallica has more quality.
but the thread is about who was better in playing thrash metal music , so i pick Slayer.

Yes Sixx, but the question was who "was" the better thrash band, so I'm not sure it's relevant whether or not a band developed, or whether Metallica sucked after Master of Puppets.

Both of which I agree, by the way ;)

If we're going to talk entire careers, though, it definitely has to be Slayer because someone cut Metallica's balls off and turned them into an AOR bitch band.

--S

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
Slayer gave the definition of thrash metal and made the top and absolute thrash metal album ("reign in blood).
but metallica has more quality.
but the thread is about who was better in playing thrash metal music , so i pick Slayer.

Couldn't have said it better my self. Don't get me wrong, I love Metallica and will support them forever (until they put out an 'NStink like album) but I think of Slayer as a "thrash metal" band and Metallica is a GREAT "traditional metal" band

Originally posted by Soul_Schizm
Yes Sixx, but the question was who "was" the better thrash band, so I'm not sure it's relevant whether or not a band developed, or whether Metallica sucked after Master of Puppets.

Both of which I agree, by the way ;)

If we're going to talk entire careers, though, it definitely has to be Slayer because someone cut Metallica's balls off and turned them into an AOR bitch band.

--S

Damn, I was leaning more towards Metallica$h until you pointed out the AOR bitch thing:lol: ! Slayer it "was.":D

Metallica's Earlier songs are sweet but you all can't deny Slayer is and always has been WAY more aggressive than Metallica. I disagree with most of you all here, I love Slayer a lot more. Metallica sold out anyway and Slayer didn't.

Originally posted by MURAI
Metallica's Earlier songs are sweet but you all can't deny Slayer is and always has been WAY more aggressive than Metallica. I disagree with most of you all here, I love Slayer a lot more. Metallica sold out anyway and Slayer didn't.

When I want to hear aggresive music I listen to death metal :p that's why I pick Metallica.

I'm not saying it's always heavier and more aggressive=better all the time. I find a lot of heavy bands boring. I like it when a band executes the aggression in a way I can do :headbang: to.

Like I said before, if I take the first two albums from both bands, it's so close that it's barely worth mentioning who is better.

But if I had to pick, it would be Slayer just because Hell Awaits had such a profound impact on me as both a musician and a music fan.

--S