Your first hit of metal?

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
Posting to the "outgrowing metal" thread got me think about the first time I heard Metal (hard rock), so I want to hear how you guys were first introduced to metal..... or music overall.

For me, like I posted in the other thread, it was when my cousin played Double Platinum for me in 1978. I had heard about KISS from friends at school and had seen pictures of them way before I got to hear them. So I had kinda built them up in my mind and hearing them sent me over the edge, giving me chills and a "buzz" that I'm still looking for every time I hear a new band for the first time. You don't get that "buzz" too often but when you do it makes it all worth it.

I was 8 years old and my dad took me to the mall and we were walking around in a record store called CAMELOT MUSIC at the time. He was buying Willie Nelson albums and in an effort to get me into music he said I could pick out any album that I wanted for my very own. (Up until now all I had were Sesame Street and Peter Wolf and the like...) For some reason the GENE SIMMONS solo album just jumped right out at me and I had to have it. I thought he was a superhero or monster or both or something like that. Well, from there I thought that KISS was the only band that existed until I was about 11 or 12 and the older neighbor kid I hung around made me (yes, MADE me) listen to OZZY's Blizzard of Ozz and then Motley's Shout at the Devil. That made me dive headfirst into metal and those are probably my top 3 favorite albums to this day!

Watching Guns N Roses & Bon Jovi clips as a kid, and watching Def Leppard's In The Round video. I'm a young one :lol: I loved those 2 bands but I didn't get into them until around the Use Your Illusion era when I was about 9.... and a couple of years later they disappeared and I wasn't really into much at all.

Then I saw KISS when I was 14 and that's really the moment that affected me the most. I totally got obsessed with KISS that night and been a huge fan ever since and got right back into Bon Jovi, Def Leppard & Guns N Roses that very instant as well. Then from there it was Metallica, Megadeth & Iron Maiden... and I've been a hard rocker now for the last 7 years, and music's become the centre of my life now as I play in bands now myself and my main goal is to be rock star myself one day and live the life my idols did!

My very first taste of metal was watching the video for "Enter Sandman" on MTV when i was 7. Now, i didn't get into metal until i was 12, thanks to Metallica. That "...And Justice For All" album changed my life.

Hey Wicked Child you're about the same age as me! I always thought you were older for some reason hehe. Got your first taste of metal the same year as I did. 1991.. what a fucking terrible year to get into it eh? 2 years later it was dead :(

I really envy all these people who got into metal in the early '80s and got to enjoy the best years of it!

Lets see, well, there was always the Metallica videos when the "black album" came out. I think I was about 7 or 8. Then when I was about 11 or 12 my buddy showed me a skate video he had of Jamie Thomas and the song that played was "Motorbreath." I was hooked. I went out and bought "Ride the Lighting" and the rest is history. I think for that year I just listened to nothing but Metallica, then shortly after I started getting into other bands.

I was born into it. I definitely knew Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Alice Cooper by the time I was four. But my early teenage tastes were for rave and techno primarily, and metal didn't really take over completely until I was about 15, when I started getting into Slayer, Fates Warning, and other modern bands (modern compared to my Dad's record collection I mean - he was of the generation who already hated Metallica circa "Kill 'Em All").

The year is 1983. I'm in front of my friend Sergio's TV (he was one of the few with cable in my country at the time). We are watching MTV and suddenly a video show up Iron Maiden - 'Flight Of Icarus'. He told me: is not as good as the one from 'Number Of The Beast' (which he had showed me before and was like yuck!)

I don't know what happened that day, I really don't know. But looking at 'Flight Of Icarus' was like what is this, what's happening to me, I like this! Then by the end of the year I was deep into Def Leppard, some Iron Maiden, some AC/DC, some Black Sabbath. By March 1984 I was already a metalhead.

Still up to this day, 'Flight Of Icarus' is my favorite Iron Maiden song, the video still makes me shiver and I have never regret to let the metal gene become dominant :tickled:

Well the first for me was waking up on the sofa and seeing Kiss on mtv. I was only about 9 or 10 and they scared me!!!! After that it was my older brother playing AC/DC from morning until night....over and over! :( I myself never got into Metal until about 4 years ago when I got on the internet and started visiting different message boards. I love music...period!

KISS rules! I don't care what anybody says. KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, you guys are some young sons' o bitches and I mean that in the nices possible way! hahaha
I think my midlife crisis just set in....I turned 30 in January...

Ted, this thread is making me feel a bit old also! :) Where's Hawk when you need him? He's the oldest one around here if I remember right. :)

I've always said that KISS influenced more people from my generation than any other band. Most guitar palyers my age will say Ace was the reason they started playing guitar, not Page or Clapton or any of the other 60's guys.

The Trooper said:
Hey Wicked Child you're about the same age as me! I always thought you were older for some reason hehe. Got your first taste of metal the same year as I did. 1991.. what a fucking terrible year to get into it eh? 2 years later it was dead :(

I really envy all these people who got into metal in the early '80s and got to enjoy the best years of it!
Really!? you thought I was older? I'll take that as a compliment! I guess I emit a mature "old guy" aura? That's cool! And yeh, getting into metal into 199--ACTUALLY, some pretty solid albums came out in '91! I consider that metal's last hurrah of the 90's.

Yeah 1991 was an awesome year for metal indeed! Just a bad year to get into it because it was the tail-end of the era and didn't last much longer!

The Trooper said:
Yeah 1991 was an awesome year for metal indeed! Just a bad year to get into it because it was the tail-end of the era and didn't last much longer!
Yeh, i see what you mean now. Because it wasn't gonna last much longer. But yeh, 1991 was great! Savatage-Streets, Overkill-Horrorscope, Armored Saint-Symbol Of Salvation, Iced Earth-S/T,Metallica-S/T(yes, i like that album), and so on!

I like the Black album too :)

Plus that year for me had:
Kane Roberts - Saints & Sinners (my #2 album ever)
Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
Harem Scarem - S/T
Skid Row - Slave To The Grind
Europe - Prisoners In Paradise
..etc etc etc! Great year for hard rock stuff :)

I loved music as a child as my Mom was a music fan. From an early age I liked Far-en-or (I seriously could never spell the name of that group) Boston etc. but in 1980 I heard a song on the radio that changed my life........... "You Shook Me All Night Long" !!! AC/DC might not be considered "metal" but that was a long way from "More Than a Feeling" and it changed my life.

Bryant