outgrowing metal

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
I have outgrown some cool things in life and I never thought about outgrowing metal, but I just hear some people saying "oh, I used to go to concerts" or "yeah, I listened to metal when I was young" and I have heard that your job requires you to cut your hair and stop wearing your metal vests.

I am nowhere near that but I just wonder.

metal forever!!!! :headbang:

Speaking for myself, at age 31, I have no intentions on ever outgrowing metal music. It's my favorite of all the genres that I listen to. I "don't look very metal," but so what? I think to have this image of someone that's into metal is so predictible. I think you'd be suprised at who's into metal, it's not about "image" we have a brother that's a history teacher in this forum & he's into heavy metal! One thing I will say, more stuff from the glam era of the 80's now seems like complete garbage, with the exception of a handful of bands that era has grown old & tired.

You are so right on being suprised about who is into metal. I saw a guy in his late 20's with tight blue jeans, glasses and a blue and white stripped shirt singing along to every Opeth song at their last concert in LA. It was fuckin bad ass. I'm 20 and I highly doubt that my tastes for metal will disappear. I might start to like other types of music, but metal will always be numero fucking uno /,,/

I'll never outgrow hard rock music. I outgrew alot of the heavier & thrashier stuff though, I just can't listen to most of it anymore and get anything out of it, but I never listened to all that much of it (or for very long either) to begin with, whereas I've been listening to hard rock stuff since I was 9 years old and am actually now discovering more bands than ever from that era that I hadn't heard before and loving it all more than ever too. Also the whole AOR/melodic rock kinda world has been opening up to me over the last year and that's pretty much neverending and chockers with quality stuff.

I don't think I'll ever run out of stuff to listen to and stuff to be excited about. I'm a rocker for life.

I think if you truly love rock n roll then you will love it forever...it's in your blood...you can't just quit liking it...metal included...you may like some bands a lot more than others, and you may grow to like other styles of music as well, but you can't just quit liking one form of music! That's like saying, well, I have outgrown pizza. It's kids stuff. Never again will I eat pizza. (unless you have a medical condtion! haha) Rock, Metal, whatever...it's forever. I will admit that my lifestyle is not very metal at all these days...working...baby...working...baby...and yeah I look like a suit and tie nerd...but It's almost worth it to see the look on a high school kid's face in a Manson or Slipknot tshirt when they see you roll up beside them in the metal section and look at MERCYFUL FATE or SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend Mario (now 40 and deep into jazz) once questioned why I still was into metal at my age (37): isn't that for kids? In "stereo" my friend Darren (36) and I answered: NO!

The fact is that I don't see metal as a thing for kids (I left mallcore and hip-hop for them). Metal is something that is in your genes, at a certain age surfaces and developes into the true innerself. :headbang:

I rather be hang by the balls with rusty barbed wire than outgrow metal :yell:

I'm 35 and though my tastes have certainly changed over the last 20 plus years they havent grown away from metal. While I now have developed some elite tastes listeing to quite a bit of Euro Porg metal etc. some of my tastes have actually gotten "simpler." After years of "grunge/alternative" then "rap/rock/metal" now there are a few bands out there on the radio like Fuel and Nickelback that are kicking some ass but few people seem to take notice.

Bryant

Wyvern said:
The fact is that I don't see metal as a thing for kids (I left mallcore and hip-hop for them). Metal is something that is in your genes, at a certain age surfaces and developes into the true innerself. :headbang:
Exactly, it makes me smile when I hear people telling me "You know, I listened to Metal when I was young, but now I've matured".
They should say : "I wanted to be a tough guy who shows other people he listens to tough music, but now I've understood it was not made for me" ;)

Wyvern said:

I rather be hang by the balls with rusty barbed wire than outgrow metal :yell:

Very Very Good point :) Both of them if we still had Rep I would give you some for that

I´ll never "outgrow" Metal. It seems the more years that pass the more I love it. As if I could love it anymore than I did the first time I ever heard the song that started my Metal journey. I firmly believe that Metal is in the blood, maybe you might go through some years now knowing about it but when you do hear it it strikes something inside. It starts a flame that never goes out. For those people who "grow" out of it, they never really had it in them to begin with.

I'm one of the younger fuckers in this forum. I'm 19 (turning 20 in a month) and I started listening to metal around 16 or so. Started listening to nu-metal and some thrash and then moved on to more extreme metal like death metal and some other types. I know some people who were into nu-metal (Slipknot or Korn etc) or whatever but it just seemed like a phase to them and they moved on to listening to rap, pop punk or techno or whatever. I'll keep thrashing this head until the neck is broke or I go deaf.

tedvanfrehley said:
but It's almost worth it to see the look on a high school kid's face in a Manson or Slipknot tshirt when they see you roll up beside them in the metal section and look at MERCYFUL FATE or SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I admit I like Slipknot and I have a shirt of theirs (yeah, yeah I know) but I know much more about heavy metal than the average Slipknot kid. Most of the time, kids into those bands are into it as a fashion and they think it's about cussing and wearing baggie jeans and then they just outgrow it eventually.

No, I don't think you can ever truly outgrow metal. I think that, as you grow up, the "power of the guitar riff" loses a bit of impact, though. I know that I'm not quite as enthralled by the riffs in Slayer's Reign in Blood, for example, as when I was a bit younger, but that's just a natural change after going through adolescence. Metal is one of the most interesting genres and is always progressing in new directions, so I don't see myself ever tiring of it. I still see myself reaching back for the classic albums as well. There's just so much diversity keeping it consistently entertaining.

MURAI...I like Slipknot myself...I'm just saying that a typical high school kid doesn't picture somebody like me coming in to look in the same section they're in! haha They probably think I should be looking at country or jazz or something (which I do, too) but I am looking at metal in my preppy getup and glasses...haha I think they think, "you aren't a metal fan" and I'm thinking at the same time..."son..put down that Korn cd and pick up some REAL metal!" haha

I'll never grow out of music.. period! Not just metal/hard rock but all music. When it comes to music metal is my oldest love, it's been with me since the day my cousin first dropped the needle into the grooves of KISS "Double Platinum" so I could hear them for the first time. I have not stopped searching for that feeling, buzz, head rush since that day. I did take a detour around '88 or '89, that's when my "third ear" opened up. As much as I love it, metal got way out of hand at that time, and there was soooo much cool stuff going on in the underground then, so I started exploring. Then in 1992 the underground/alternative scene got too out of hand so I moved on again. This time to the underground roots (alt country) scene. That scene burnt itself out about 1998 or so and I was a bit lost for a while, then I stumbled across the metal eBay guy I work for an found out that metal was still alive. Don't get me wrong, I never gave up on metal, through all the years I was not listening to new metal I was still buying any old albums I could find, but I was not paying attention to the new scene. I regret that now because it took me about 2 years to catch up. :) I don't regret all of the other music I found during that time though.

So what I'm trying to say is that first and foremost I am a metalhead, but more than metal pumps through these veins... I live for MUSIC. That pisses some metal people off.... "you like that pussy crap?"..... which tells me that they are closed minded and not worth talking to about music. I don't mind someone ONLY into metal, I'll talk to them all day about metal, just don't give me shit because I like other music. And don't get me wrong, I love to give someone a bit of a hard time about their likes... but only in fun, not in an elitist metal head punk snob kind of way.

Sorry for the rant. :)

AMEN to that! I love all music, though metal/hard rock is my first love, I can go from Slayer or Motley to Lyle Lovett or John Prine in the same day! In the same hour!!! Right beside my copy of KILL EM ALL is O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU in the cd rack.
Hail music!

JonnyD said:
Very Very Good point :) Both of them if we still had Rep I would give you some for that
Hahhahaha, thanks ;)

The fact is outgrow is a myth. You do things out of conviction or better don't do them. You can outgrow sucking your thumb, breast feeding, pee on your underwear, that's is called normal growing.
Renounce to a conviction just to fit with the great faceless mass of society is not growing, is assimilation. Welcome to the Borg collective, resistance is futile! :erk:

AngelWitch73 said:
I´ll never "outgrow" Metal... I firmly believe that Metal is in the blood, maybe you might go through some years now knowing about it but when you do hear it it strikes something inside. It starts a flame that never goes out. For those people who "grow" out of it, they never really had it in them to begin with.
Spot on, although the great majority of us probably grow out of the hero-worship aspect (well, mostly!) and I don't read the lyrics religiously like I used to. The emotion and spirit of the music never goes, though. It's as if there is something mystical about heavy metal...