your first job

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
I was going to let my hair grow, but I will get a pretty serious internship and I am thinking I can't dress metal anymore. Did your first job set a new pattern for you when you stopped putting your attire cause you didn't feel like changing after? Did you still find a decent amount of time to wear your patched vests?

I must admit, the "Metal LOOK" isn't well recieved. People have stereo types & that's how it is, until you prove them wrong. I think looking "average" is great personally, when people find out I love heavy stuff, I don't fit their stereo type & they are dumb founded... I mean you can't expect to dress the way you do to go to sell cars? Or how about sell shoes in a department store? Or Work in Social Services?
Listen, I have never worked sooooo long that I didn't have time to be myself & throw on a metal t-shirt, ect. Do you wanna eat or what?

Amen to that, Swine. Growing up half the fun of being a metalhead is looking the look and freaking folks out...but when it comes time to enter the corporate world (or whatever the job may be) a certain appearance is expected of you. It just looks "professional". Whether or not that is a good thing, it's the real world. HOWEVER, like Swine says, then it becomes just as fun to blow people's minds when they see that you are a 30 plus year old father with kids and a dressy 9to5 and still love metal. ESPECIALLY when young metal kids see you looking in the metal section and are like WTF?!?!? A perfect example of this happened to me just yesterday. We went to one of my wife's friends' daughter's graduation party and this young buck had a JACKSON RANDY RHOADS model that he was tooling around on. Me, dressed in khaki pants, loafers and a polo shirt...I approached him and said, "Isn't that the Randy model?" and he about shit his pants that I knew what that was. THEN, I really blew his mind. I asked him to let me play a lick or two and busted some Crazy Train for him and followed that up with some Eruption. Just to see what he'd do. I spent the next half hour showing him licks that I'd learned over the years. He was amazed that people could really play those songs in "real life". Not that I'm that good...but all he knew was downtuning and pounding along to Slipknot and the like. He was surprised to see how easy playing things like Master of Puppets really was and I made a new young pal in the process that made an otherwise boring gathering fun.

The saYer said:
I was going to let my hair grow, but I will get a pretty serious internship and I am thinking I can't dress metal anymore. Did your first job set a new pattern for you when you stopped putting your attire cause you didn't feel like changing after? Did you still find a decent amount of time to wear your patched vests?

a) I kept dressing more or less "unsuited" on my first job since it was teaching at the university. I let my hair grew but after a while the powers that be forced me to cut it out. :bah:

b) On my second job I was free to wear my hair and dressed as I pleased

c) I can still dress as I pleased but my heair is no longe there :erk:

d) I don't have a patched vest, and nowdays I only wear my spikes at concerts

ok I spent 7 years in Food Service 3 as a Dish washer and 4 as a Prep Cook/Chef and ya know what My hair was almost always long but I would Shave the sided and let the top go that way when I needed to I could just tuck my hair in my Hat worked like a charm ofcourse Pretty much every job I have had I had to wear some sort of Uniform cept when I was Shoveling shit on the farm as a boy hahaha ... But as for the Metal look I can get away with it in this Poughdunk town if I was going to Murder,Rape, Pillage in the name of the almighty metal in some sort of Clique(sp) way with church burnings and sacrifices to satan ppl know that would have happened years ago :loco: Little old ladies see straight through the Black and Leather and know regardless of how I dress I am still a good person that will help most anyone out regardless of musical preference which is great! working in the convenince store at night I play metal the whole time and I tend to get more positive remarks than negative its surprising who actually likes metal Just as Sixx and TVH were saying :D

My first job was detassling corn I did that when I was 15 and 16. Pretty hard work and it sucked when you had to walk in the cornfield when it was raining. Then I
worked at Mcdonalds from age 17 to 18 I was allowed to have long hair but I had to
wear a hair net and those stupid paper hats. Then I joined the Army after I graduated from High School and it's been goodbye to hair ever since. Although I've
been a civillian for about 13 years now(with the excl. of being in the reserves in 95)
I keep my head shaved it's just more of a comfort thing now. :D

KMADD said:
I keep my head shaved it's just more of a comfort thing now. :D

I suppose it would be easier to clean up in a hurry, right?
You just take a wet towel & wipe your dome vs. having to wash your hair...
How the hell do you shave it? I have heard people say that they shave their head themselves? I would think, you'd cut yourself quite a bit if you went that route? Maybe I'm just careless shaver?!:tickled:

No its pretty easy with the right shaving cream and the right razor like a mach 3
or something. But I usually use electric clippers with no guard to shave my head
bassically a boot camp haircut and a number 1 guard to trim my goatee or beard
depending how I feel week to week.

interesting stories, but what I had in mind more was asking if you had days or at least time to wear your metal shirts, vests and what not, during your, say, weekends or free time after work, or did you completely lock your stuff up in the closet, cause I wasn't saying I wanted to dress metal at my work, I was just saying if you have to dress differently during that time, did that just set you to not wear your stuff any other time?

interesting stories though, but sixx got it right in the part where he said he still had time to wear a mtlshirt from time to time.

The saYer said:
interesting stories, but what I had in mind more was asking if you had days or at least time to wear your metal shirts, vests and what not, during your, say, weekends or free time after work, or did you completely lock your stuff up in the closet, cause I wasn't saying I wanted to dress metal at my work, I was just saying if you have to dress differently during that time, did that just set you to not wear your stuff any other time?

interesting stories though, but sixx got it right in the part where he said he still had time to wear a mtlshirt from time to time.

Well On weekends yes...
Or working on the car & stuff like that.
I don't keep count of how many days & stuff like that. I just do it.
Man, you can't just let go of something that is you.
There is a time & place for it however...

First job - pizza delivery driver. Great when I was in high school and about a year after. Was able to keep my hair and wear anything I wanted. Now saying that, I wouldn't show up with a 'Fuck You' shirt on or something. A little common sense goes a long way!

The place I am at now doesn't care about the hair, but I do have to wear it back because I work around robots and machinery all day. Plus I can wear pretty much what I want. Today I wore my Anthrax, 'We've Come For You All' shirt! :D Same thing applies, I wouldn't show up with a 'Fuck Posers' Iced Earth shirt on! I would be sent home real quick! Funny thing about that shirt, when I seen them at the House of Blues in Orlando people were being told to change them or turn them inside out while waiting in line. This House of Blues is on Disney property and there were a shit load of kids and families walking around. I can see their point, but alot of people got pissed. Another time when a little common sense would have helped the situation.

sixxswine said:
I suppose it would be easier to clean up in a hurry, right?
You just take a wet towel & wipe your dome vs. having to wash your hair..

You don't have an idea. :D

And it's pretty easy to shave your own head: hot shower, Mach 3, foam...

AND A DAMN STEADY PULSE!

I have to wear a uniform for my job but it doesn't stop me wearing a leather over it which gets stowed in my locker when I get there then re-emerges for the walk home :D and the trusty New Rock boots which get changed for toecapped work boots thn back again at the end of the day

Outside of sporting the black tee every once in a while, I've never felt any need to go for the "rocker" image. I let my hair get kinda long one year in college, but I looked like a freakin' idiot, so away it went.

I work in a pretty conservative corporate place, but I could probably get away with the image if I wanted to. There are a few "biker dudes" sporting pony tails, handlebar moustaches & Harley shirts every day.... the stereotypical metal image isn't too far away from that.

My first job was feeding the inmates at Idaho's State Mental Hospital. That might explain why I am the way I am. :)

I've never had a job where dress or hair length was an issue. Or drug testing for that matter. Fortunately I've never had to play that game. I must admit that I've "cleaned up" for the occasional interview, but once I'm hired, I'm ME. I have the luxury of tolerance though, by those who've tread before me. Being a designer/artist/writer type of person, we're expected to be eccentric and a little outside the norm.

I haven't had my first job yet!!!! I've been a full time student all my life, with little to no time for a job. High school was so tough for me, i needed ALL my focus on that, and just couldn't handle a job. Now, that i'm in college, i got even LESS time for a job, so it's been very difficult to get a job. Now that summer vacation is here for me, i'm currently job hunting....with zero success.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
My first job was feeding the inmates at Idaho's State Mental Hospital. That might explain why I am the way I am. :)

That sounds like pretty wild first job! Any good stories from that experience?