Do you wear the 'heavy metal' uniform?

I got short hair too, due to the fact that I'm folicly challenged...just like the guitarist from Cannibal Corpse...If I were to grow it out it would look like George Carlin or something...well, not that bad but it's thinned out on top so, it's better short.

but I do wear regularly either a denim vest with patches all over or that same vest on top of a leather jacket...plus a chain wallet, earings in my left ear...and mesh half-gloves...and combat boots...

I don't feel like I have to dress this way, and of course I don't always dress like that...(like when I'm going to a fucking job interview some shit like that)..but I feel like I'm keeping the metal spirit alive and spreading the word on good bands that I love with the patches!

I always wear either baggy blue or black jeans baggy khakis or cut off or black or green khaki shorts. All my shirts or black, besides Blizzard of Ozz and Slayer shirt, I also have a WWCD? shirt and psych ward shirt.Keep my head shaved bald(already going bald :err: ) and about a 5 inch beard. I have my lip pierced 3 rings in one ear and 2 in the other. And always wear my high top black converse all-stars and 4 inch spike bracelet. And remember I go top a country skool, only 263 students in the high skool, and im the only one that dresses like that. When its cold I either wear my Black Sabbath or Pantera hoodie. And like everyone else I want to dress this way, its coimfortable and tyhe big and black clothes make me look smaller. Im the only one within probably a good 15 mile radius that dresses like this.

Other than my short hair, the thing that is different from metal that I have is that I don't drink or do drugs, or smoke. Many people always ask me for a cigarette or a light or beer as if they are certain I do those things because of my metal look. Does that happen to anyone else?

duckattack said:
A gay bar? :D

I'M KIDDING!!
Hey at least I'm not wearing lipstick, rimmel and mousse...OOOPS bad comparison sorry to bother the segment that use those :loco:

Connie Fixx said:
i have tiger print spandex pants
He isn't lying :) We're the rock & roll outlaws of Melbourne, us two. Hahaha!

I guess I look very '80s metal and going out on weekends especially I have a very glam look. It's not coz I think everybody has to, or because I want to be trendy (coz it ain't trendy anyway), or because I want to be different, it's simply because I like how it looks. I watch all the old '80s videos and think "Man they look awesome" so why not try n make myself look awesome as well haha, and I think it's also probably the look that suits me well too coz I'm very skinny etc.

Generally, during the week I'm wearing torn jeans, 80s rock n roll shirts, bangles, leather jacket & have long dyed black hair. And going out on weekends I'm usually in bandana, hairspray, eyeliner, alligator skin cowboy boots, leather pants, etc as well.

As I said, it's just because I love that look so why not wear it if I love it. I don't think that has to be how everybody dresses or anything it's just how I like to look so I do it and don't really care what people think about it. Most people seem to love it anyway out at the rock clubs & shows.

Uhhhh, here's me in a nutshell...
I have short hair, I'm what one would call "clean cut," I sometimes sport a beard, sometimes a goatee, sometimes sideburns...
I dress in casual "professional" attire, given the gig.
I have no tattoos or jewelry...
People are floored when they find out I'm into Heavy...
Go figure...
It's fucking great.
I do not fit the Metal Fan stereotype...

Yep he sure is! We're the terror twins of Melbourne's rock & roll scene haha! Here are some trashy drunk photos that have been taken of the terror twins around the scene haha...

Earlier this year when I was blond (notice the VVI tank top haha):

BITDMarch1a.jpg

BITDMarch2.jpg

And more recent since I dyed my hair black:

BITDJune2.jpg

We're like Bill & Ted, Wayne & Garth, Nikki & Tommy, Steven & Joe... :lol:

We'll when im not at work Ive always been the T-shirt & jeans type of guy with a chain wallet.. ive always dressed like this even before i became a metalhead in the early to mid 80's (with the exception of the wallet... that might of been influenced by metal and/or also the fact that i tended to lose alot of wallets without chains back then lol ) .... before i became a metallica fan and everyone dressed like that.. later on i went through my Black Sabbath phase and wore alot of black as well as a leather biker jacket ... nowadays my hair is short but thats because of jobwise.. when i had long hair it wasnt easy getting a job and such... but i still wear my chain wallet at work even when im wearing my suit.. hehehe ... :headbang: but like i said when not at work i wear t shirts, jeans, denim jackets, sneakers and of course my trusty chain wallet (harley of course hehe ) .... :wave:

I love to flaunt my "metalness" where I live...mostly because most people don't have a clue...

On the weeknights out and the weekends is when I sport the obscure metal shirts that no one in my area without some cognizance would recognize...

Bottom line -- I love to be an elitist, metal prick...and lord my "metalness" all over those ignorant fucks who surround me...but I do live in a cultural void...

Every once in a while, it's a pleasure to strike up a conversation with those who know half-a-shit...but isn't that the whole point of being "underground?"

Other than that...the people I do run into are has-beens...wanna-bes...think-they-knows...just random dickheads...

And who am I? Well...I used to have hair down to my ass, wear nothing but black concert shirts along with loud shorts (yes...I live on the coast).

Now...I have short hair...I sell construction equipment to a bunch of fucking rednecks...but that doesn't take away who I am.

All my friends (and customers) know that...if I am out-of-town...then I must be at a concert...

Bottom line...metal is truly a state of mind...no matter what your look has evolved into...

Rock on!

The saYer said:
Other than my short hair, the thing that is different from metal that I have is that I don't drink or do drugs, or smoke. Many people always ask me for a cigarette or a light or beer as if they are certain I do those things because of my metal look. Does that happen to anyone else?
i dont drink or smoke or take any drugs either, and yes, people still ask me for booze cause i seem to look as if i got some.

it doesnt bother me, i dont give a shit what they think, i'm still metal :headbang:

To me metal is more then just image (although I have been known to put on interesting ensembles :tickled: ) it's a state of mind, an attitude, a way of life. But back to the subject at hand, I very much enjoy dressing metal and wearing my Maiden shirts etc. I also like to flaunt my "metalness" :)

I've never been to the US but it seems like drinking is alot more of a big deal there than it is here in Australia? I mean the legal age there is 21, what's with that? You can drive at 16 but can't even go to a bar until you're 21? That's fucked! Driving is far more dangerous than having a beer!

In Australia EVERYBODY drinks all the time. I don't know anybody who doesn't drink... and from the time you're 14 or 15 your dad starts drinkin beer with you! And the legal age to buy alcohol or go into a bar is 18 here. It's just normal behavior to get drunk every weekend... I think the entire weekend/social life in Australia is based around alcohol.

And it's not just coz "there's nothing else to do here" or anything because I live in a big city (I'd say Melbourne is like an LA style city but smaller, more the size of a Seattle or Houston?). Though one of my best friends is from a country town and going up there last year for his birthday, man their entire lives revolve around drinking up in the country! There it IS because there's nothing else to do hahaha. They drink during the day every day (though I'm drinkin during the day right now I spose haha).

It just seems weird sometimes when I watch American movies or TV shows and teenagers drinking is seen as being a bad thing, but here your parents start drinking with you in your mid teens usually I think.

I might be wrong though coz I've never been there, maybe the TV shows & movies are just way off but it does seem like a bigger deal there, and the 21 age limit thing is really fucked! I can't even imagine having spent my 18-20 years without going to bars & drinking.... that's where I spent all my nights!

I dress the way I do (jeans, band tshirt, leather) because it is comfortable and the way I like to dress, that´s the bottom line. I have met people who have been wearing a suit and tie who have been very knowledgable about Metal and also people in ripped jeans. Metal is a state of mind, not a fashion statement.

Well, I wear about the exact same uniform as I did in the 80's , jeans, sport shoes and a sweater with cap...my long hair was lost on the way (it's only cut, I'm thinking of saving up again)... It doesn't matter how you wear your hair, it's what inside your head (from the mighty SOD bible) ...

Trixxi Trash said:
I've never been to the US but it seems like drinking is alot more of a big deal there than it is here in Australia? I mean the legal age there is 21, what's with that? You can drive at 16 but can't even go to a bar until you're 21? That's fucked! Driving is far more dangerous than having a beer!
My Guess would be Aussie Kids are far less retarded than American kids ....

Trixxi Trash said:
In Australia EVERYBODY drinks all the time. I don't know anybody who doesn't drink... and from the time you're 14 or 15 your dad starts drinkin beer with you! And the legal age to buy alcohol or go into a bar is 18 here. It's just normal behavior to get drunk every weekend... I think the entire weekend/social life in Australia is based around alcohol.

Don't get me started on this one...
It's exactly the same here in Croatia! :tickled:
I personally do not consume any kind of alcohol or drugs (maybe that makes me stand out in the usual metal crowd, cause I'm otherwise jeans/band tees/high sneakers kinda guy ;) ), but almost all of my friends are trashed every weekend (hell, some even drink more often).

And it's not just coz "there's nothing else to do here" or anything because I live in a big city

Unfortunately, "there's nothing else to do here" is the exact reason why people drink so often here... There's almost nothing but bars to go out to, no clubs or whatever. My city is the second largest in the country, but it's just formally, our capital holds the fourth of the population. :D It's very disappointing to live here, if it weren't for great climate (it's 22°C as I write this) I'd lose my mind out of boredom...

Here in SA most social activities evolves around drinking as well, and that's perfectly fine with me. I'm busy growing my hair again, I had to cut it 6 years ago for a job interview (got the job) and never grown it since. It's at that irretating stage now where it gets into my eyes, too long to style and too short to tie up, but I'll tell you one thing, I went to a metalbar in Johannesburg for halloween and headbanging was so much better with longer hair. I do have tatoos and I tend to wear the same clothes all the time, which mostly consists of metal T - shits and jeans or camopants, I wear my doc's most of the time. I like people to see I'm a metalhead, I like all the retarted questions and the disguisted looks, makes me feel superior. I guess I'm sort of stuck in an era, but man,, what a fuckin era!

sixxswine said:
I do not fit the Metal Fan stereotype...
Especially with that long blond hair...oops that your sig sorry :D