Do you like Glam Metal??

i enjoy most music so yes i enjoy glam metal. only thing is though i always considered cinderella more like an aerosmith style band than glam

The best thing about Glam was when GNR, Motley and Poison became soooo huge in the early 90s, almost every little tart around wanted a guy with long hair. It was one of the best years of my life. The only Glam stuff i listen to these days would be pre-feelgood Motley, Dokken and Skid Row.

Not really, the closest band I enjoy is Skid Row (with Bach).

The only Glam stuff i listen to these days would be pre-feelgood Motley, Dokken and Skid Row.

The pre-Feelgood Motley Crue is NOT glam, but pure heavy metal.

The first albums by Dokken cannot be called glam metal, too. They are closer to the heavy metal category.

There is a fine-line here IMO, and some are rock / metal.

Glam would be the Poisons, Bango, Winger (good musicians), Europe, Warrant, Britney Fox. Never liked these bands because the image was always overkill, seemed more important to each band than thier music did...very annoying.

The following fall into my so-called category "Cartoon Metal".
Crue, Kiss, GnR, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Ratt. Some good bands here with some talent / tunes atleast matching the image. All of these bands though have the characters, clowns...the image that I could envision on a Sat. a.m. cartoon show, or made for a foolish video game. Annoying at times.

Some bands pushed the image but were also just good looking guys. Bands that had the good-look but had the musicianship as well.
Van Halen, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Extreme, Dokken, Skid Row, Winger (this categ. too). These are the better bands IMO.

Big hair metal fan here. Dokken is one of my favorite bands.

By Theatre Of Pain, they were Pure Glam

I would even say that the Theatre Of Pain era was Crue at their most Glammiest. When that album first came out I had a little trouble with their new look after being a huge fan of the first time albums. But I liked the music so I got over it. However I will say that Theatre Of Pain is my least favorite Crue album today.

The pre-Theater Of Pain Motley Crue is NOT glam, but pure heavy metal.

The first albums by Dokken cannot be called glam metal, too. They are closer to the heavy metal category.

I fixed your quote for you...

I hate the term Glam Metal becuase it's simply not metal nor is it glam...
It's hard rock...Hell a better term might be fashion rock because in most cases alot of the effort was put on the "look" rather than the music...

Big "Glam" Metal fan (Which I guess would encompass almost anything Dee Snider's House of Hair plays).

Anything from Baton Rouge, Great White to Ratt, and even a touch of Poison.

As a side note, I just finished cranking the new reissue of Banshee's Take 'em By Storm. Anyone remember these guys?

I fixed your quote for you...

I hate the term Glam Metal becuase it's simply not metal nor is it glam...
It's hard rock...Hell a better term might be fashion rock because in most cases alot of the effort was put on the "look" rather than the music...
Exactly... it's not metal... nor do i consider it hard rock either... my name for it is Party Rock if anything... also I would not put Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister in the same category as the "hair bands"... to me QR and TS were metal...

Reactions: Wyvern
Love Glam Metal / Hair Metal .. whatever, give it a name! I always have and always will, it played a big part in my formative years in the 80s. I spent most of the 2000s trying to get all those old bands' records on MP3 ... Tora Tora, Lillian Axe, Bulletboys, old LA Guns etc. Also the more Sleaze type stuff that followed, Faster Pussycat, et al. I got very excited when bands like Darkness, Miss Crazy and Backyard babies kept the flag flying.

Good times.

Glam indeed is more about the looks than music, started of in the 70's when the term "Glam" already was used for bands as Slade, Bowie, Gary Glitter,Mud, Sweet, ...
As for the glam-hair-metal bands I only like some early Crue, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, early Winger, early Europe, Skid Row,..Overall the later 80's-90's stuff sux...

Exactly... it's not metal... nor do i consider it hard rock either... my name for it is Party Rock if anything... also I would not put Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister in the same category as the "hair bands"... to me QR and TS were metal...

exactly. i like when people try to say because of twisted sisters image they are glam. well in that case anyone who wear a suit while playing music is a jazz musician right? me and 3 other people went into this big story of why twisted sister dressed the way they did and how they are the only band still dressing that way because they were all about being different and basically everyone on the megadeth forum was like "nope they have makeup they are glam, not metal" lizzy borden is another band thats not glam but in fact metal

Glam metal? Hair bands? For me, those terms sucks. I love hard rock music from the late 80´s but I do my own differences.

NOT Glam Metal but melodic metal/metal: Quiet Riot, Mötley Crue (hey, "Shout at the devil" is heavy metal!), Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Dokker, early Ratt,...

NOT Glam Metal but excellent hard rock: Tesla, Cinderella, Lillian Axe, Badlands, Great White,...

Sleazy: Faster Pussycat, GNR, Sea Hags, Junkyad :)notworthy),...

Maybe most according to the term Glam Metal or Party music like someone said: Poison, Warrant,...

Europe: Early scandinavian melodic metal, no doubt! After "The final countdown" hard melodic. "The final countdown": Cheesy as hell!

Bon Jovi: Mmm,... A Bruce Springsteen wannabe trying to play hard rock. Until "New Jersey" :kickass:, after that :puke:

Even, if we talked about "glam metal" or "hair bands", why not Celtic Frost? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Even, if we talked about "glam metal" or "hair bands", why not Celtic Frost? :lol:

Certainly "Cold Lake" was the worst career movement Tom Warrior ever made. And if we are gonna talk hair metal include Whitesnake for "Whitesnake" and "Slip Of The Tongue". The term is totally ridicule, glam is alright but hair? Damn except me everybody have hair and if you have it long you care for it. Truly some bands went to extreme with the mousse in the 80's but was a fashion like spiked leather bands after Rob Halford outfit, or big sneakers with tight jeans for thrash bands in the beginning.

Metal has always follow certain fashions one way or another, that's not a variable to categorize bands in a sub-genre IMO.