Token Glam thread...

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
This one's for you Trixter, wherever you are...
Recently I have gotten back a bit into the old 80's rock scene.
We about as much as you can. There's juist way too much heavy stufff out there & yes, blues & some country stuff as well. Anyway, being that I have been spend time listening to the stuff there is three records that people on the glam sites & message boards refer to as "the Holy Trinity." What the hell is that you might ask?! Well three records that sold poorly, in comparison to previous efforts by popular 80's glam/rock bands. The catch is that upon further review they weren't that bad & in fact, they aged better than their contemporaries' material. So what is on the list?! Well okay here you go:
Motley Crue-MC 94
Poison-Native Tongue
Warrant-Dog Eat Dog
Great records, I think, underrrated, showed a great deal of growth in the band's writing process, but the core fan based wasn't very accepting...

sixxswine said:
Motley Crue-MC 94

The "Corabi record" is a friggin masterpiece! It's criminally underrated. And, it's varied and eclectic.
It's a mix of metal, grunge, blues, etc. Although it wasn't 'popular', I would have loved to have seen what they would have done together and continued down that road.
The tunes "Smoke the Sky" and "Uncle Jack" are heavy as a ton of bricks!

Generation Swine and New Tattoo are brutally dreadful.

SoundMaster said:
The "Corabi record" is a friggin masterpiece! It's criminally underrated. And, it's varied and eclectic.
It's a mix of metal, grunge, blues, etc. Although it wasn't 'popular', I would have loved to have seen what they would have done together and continued down that road.
The tunes "Smoke the Sky" and "Uncle Jack" are heavy as a ton of bricks!

Generation Swine and New Tattoo are brutally dreadful.

I agree & have said similar things about the record to all that will listen on this forum. Swine & New Tat were awful 2-3 songs "good" songs don't make a record...

I guess another thing that we could add to this thread.
Has there been three other records from the other sub-genres that you can think of? Now these must be records that have had critical acclaim or praise , but haven't faired well for one reason or another.
Thrash?
Power Metal?
Death Metal?
Get it?!

sixxswine said:
Motley Crue-MC 94
Poison-Native Tongue
Warrant-Dog Eat Dog
Great records, I think, underrrated, showed a great deal of growth in the band's writing process, but the core fan based wasn't very accepting...

I totally agree with this except I would replace Poison with Winger-Pull probably THE most Underrated album of all time it was Leagues ahead of their first 2 albums not that the first one was all that bad but "In the Heart of the young" was one of the biggest peices of shit ever recorded .... I find it absolutely amazing that ppl didnt give this record a chance because 2 cartoon characters told them it sucked ....MC 94 is another fine example What an ASSKICKIN album and Very Diverse and Warrants Dog Eat Dog WOW what an album!!! "Hole in my Wall" alone is worth picking this GEM up but it also displays their most Mature song writing and had their absolute best songs they have nothing before this or After this that comes close!!! ... anybody Heard Warrant's Ultraphobic album? ... its not to bad even considering they were trying to ride the alternative coattails another goody would be Tesla's Bust A Nut album that one was fucking awsome and totally made up for the Lackluster IMHO Psychotic supper album .... I have no Idea what this thread is about hahaha :D

sixxswine said:
I agree & have said similar things about the record to all that will listen on this forum. Swine & New Tat were awful 2-3 songs "good" songs don't make a record...

For what it is Worth I REALLY liked Both Generation Swine and New Tattoo what I didnt like abou those albums "Hollywood Ending, New Tattoo, Brandon!!!,Glitter" they really seemed to write the worst cheesisest Garbage Ballads for those 2 albums ... Other wise I love those records....for the record :D

Wicked Child said:
I concur with JD on this one. Winger-Pull is a really good album.

Now I am curious to check out this album....

KMADD said:
I remember when morbid angel came out with Covenent and had videos on mtv. But
after Domination they got dropped and sent to a smaller label. I never could understand that. :erk:

it prolly has to do with album sales ... Morbid Angel isnt exzactly for everybody :loco:

Do you remember in like 1993 when all the major lables were snapping up tons of extreme bands only to drop them after 1 album yaknow guys like Napalm Death, The Obsessed, And morbid of course Record companys are greedy like that ... as for the Ryche ah well never been a big fan ... didnt even get Mindcrime till last year hahaha

I always thought and this just an opinion that Empire was a letdown from operation
mindcrime. Yeah I remember when Earache wasa partnerwith a major label along with those
bands shit one of my favorite metal records of all time Entombed's Wolverine Blues
was on that label along with Carcass's Heartwork!

Hey john and co. You guys mentioned The Obsessed I've seen that band many moons
ago opening up for Entombed and Prong at another show. What are folk's thoughts on
Probot? I know Wino plays guitar with Dave back on drums on that album. I've
heard good things about that cd should I pick it up?

KMADD said:
Hey john and co. You guys mentioned The Obsessed I've seen that band many moons
ago opening up for Entombed and Prong at another show. What are folk's thoughts on
Probot? I know Wino plays guitar with Dave back on drums on that album. I've
heard good things about that cd should I pick it up?

its ok ... I mean well it just has that "Project" feel if ya know what I mean but its not bad for what its worth I just dont like albums with Multiple singers ... Would have loved it if it was just him and Wino

KMADD said:
I always thought and this just an opinion that Empire was a letdown from operation
mindcrime. Yeah I remember when Earache wasa partnerwith a major label along with those
bands shit one of my favorite metal records of all time Entombed's Wolverine Blues
was on that label along with Carcass's Heartwork!

Carcass's Heartwork is Classic! as is Napalm Death's Fear, Emptiness and Dispair :)