Glam Metal bands and why they have a place in my metal heart.

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
What were your favorite glam metal bands of the 80's?

For me my top 5 would have to be Ratt, Motley Crue, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Europe and Dokken.

80's Dokken was smoking and they put out some great stuff. They still put out good stuff to this day with the exception of "Shadowlife" but nothing beats 80's Dokken.

Europe kicked alot of ass and we're an excellent band. Songs like "Rock The Night", "Cherokee", "The Final Countdown", "Seven Door Hotel", "In The Future To Come", "Carrie" all kicked alot of ass.

Vinnie Vincent Invasion is probably one of the more underated hair bands. They are mostly known for the song "Love Kills" on the Nightmare On Elm Street 4 soundtrack. "Love Kills" in my opinion is the greatest power ballad ever. The band released two albums. "Invasion" and "All Systems Go" both kicked alot of ass. VVI was indeed a solid band and I like this band alot better than Slaughter which is what Dana Strum and Mark Slaughter went on to form afterwards. Slaughter is good in my opinion but I just happen to like VVI better.

Then there are Ratt and Motley Crue probably two of the best hair bands and most popular. I don't care about all the spandex, hair spray and lip stick this was some kick ass music. There is no denying that aside from being the best Motley Crue albums "Too Fast For Love" and "Shout At The Devil" are two of the best metal albums ever. Their stuff went a bit commercial after that but it still kicked alot of ass. Then there is Ratt, a band that released several solid albums. "Wanted Man" remains a favorite of mine to this day and that song smokes. Warren De Martini fucking kills. Also a great great underated Ratt song is "Nobody Rides For Free" check that out if you never heard it.

Glam metal has a place in my heart because it opened up a variation in the world of metal. You had your bad boys like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica. and such and then you had your party hard womenizer guys like Crue, Ratt, and Poison. Sure alot of the glam guys were in it for the chicks but in my opinion I don't care what they were in it for because the music kicked ass. It was still true heavy metal just with a poppy sound to it. I also have to say that glam is more metal that nu metal will ever be.

Anyway I know alot of people here arent glam fans but some are so share some of your favorite bands. The ones I listed were my top 5. I also like Poison (mostly the first two albums, some of their recent albums are shit), Cinderella, Winger, Warrant, Quiet Riot, Danger Danger and several others.

I'm not too much into Glam Hair Metal Bands, but I do love all that I have heard from them without a shadow of a doubt! Motley Crue 'tis my favorite Glam Metal Band...actually I was just listening to "Dr.Feelgood" today!

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge glam fan! And I also have to say that Crue, Ratt (DeMartini is GOD!), Vinnie Vincent Invasion and Dokken (Lynch is also a god!) were probably the best of the lot! VVI were so underrated and just a brilliant brilliant band. The debut is my favourite metal album ever!

I love those other bands you mentioned too, Danger Danger's debut is a rockin' little album especially if you're into early Bon Jovi or Hysteria-era Def Leppard... and I pretty much like every other "hair band" as well hehe, they are all awesome! I think Poison's best album is "Flesh & Blood" but the first 2 rock also! The debut has killer attitude and a heavy sound, and the 2nd one is great party rock! "Nothin' But A Good Time" sums up that whole scene!

And as you said, glam is more metal than so-called "nu metal" ever will be. It's basically arena style heavy metal with sleaze attitude and a glam image.

I wish rock music would return to how it was. It was nothin' but a good time to quote Poison! Rock & roll bad boys playing sleazy carefree fist in the air singalong metal in arenas with massive stage shows and and an exciting look and performance!

I feel the same way bud im a guess you could say a fan of glam rock.let me guess your 25-30 and you had a older brother? well thats me my brother was really into glam and it kinda grew on me also eveything from britney fox to killer dwarfs to lita ford you name it i either have it or listen to it i will always have a place in my heart for the glam years as a matter of fact i got a lot of glam on my radio station that im building on yahoo and it has a lot of 80's late 90's metal also but its got some dokken,ratt,skid's,quiet riot along with lots of maiden, king diamond,slayer,testament,metal church to name a few but metal will never die and the glam years will always live on no matter how much fun people make fun of it but they dont realize that glam was some of the fuel that started the fire for the way the metal scene is today.

Originally posted by DEVIANCE
the glam years will always live on no matter how much fun people make fun of it but they dont realize that glam was some of the fuel that started the fire for the way the metal scene is today.

:headbang: :headbang:

Actually I'm only 20 hehe... and don't have an older brother. But I loved Bon Jovi and Guns N Roses when I was a little kid around 1991-92... and then when I got into Kiss it all just grew from there. :D

Speaking of Dokken, how many of you like the Don Dokken solo record, UP FROM THE ASHES. That record is amazing, I think it is the best Don ever wrote. Not one song on there is filler and the musicinaship is amazing. Mickey Dee especially!!!

Still listen to this all the time ...

But my favorite "glam band" has to be Motley Crue. I believe they captured best the 80's California, party, Sunset Blvd. sound. They were unmatched in this ....

I am actually only 17 and an only child. I just happened to adapt to the whole 80's scene and have a great taste in music which ranges from early metal like Sabbath to the icons of the 80s like Maiden, Priest, etc. to hair bands to thrash and to current day Euro power metal.

Europe - way underrated and only remembered for the final countdown song. Check out Stormwind and Seven Doors Hotel etc. They kicked ass.

Skid Row were never glam, but man, their gigs were like going to see Slayer live.

i am a huge crue fan & collector. so i love 'em. here's a couple of bands on the lighter side that i also like-
black 'n blue-never made it big, but they had some great songs & why they were never as big as like a bon jovi i will never know.
another i liked a lot house of lords-check out their 2nd & 3rd discs.
cinderella is also a pretty good band & i am glad they are still together & touring. i hope they put out something new soon....

i getting ready to go see skid row minus THE BACH of course they are playing this little clubs now and by chance they are comming to this shit hole i live in EVERETT WASHINGTON its not that bad i guess every once in a while we get a few good bands comeing threw like i seen quiet riot a few times and i seen DOKKEN and i seen THE ACCUSED and most of the time i go to seattle and see them play at the little clubs up there (20 minute drive) i seen type -o- play a little club shit i even seen mercyful fate and nevermore play a little club a few years back

Oh BOY, well I am 27 so I was a teenager when the 80's hair band era was at its highest...my FAVE during the time was Poison, but man I adored ALL of them....

Winger, Warrant, White Lion, Danger Danger, Firehouse, Skid Row, The Crue, Bang Tango, Lita Ford, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Guns N Roses, Faster Pussycat, Dangerous Toys, L.A Guns, Vixen, Whitesnake, Tesla, Bulletboys, Steeleheart, Extreme, Mr. Big, Britney Fox, Twisted Sister, Trixter, Southgang...you name it I loved it! I think the 80's were just a natural progression into the stuff that I am into now...I love melodic metal...thank the powers that be for Scandinavian metal:)

I like most of the glam bands I listen to but I actually came across one that I couldn't tolerate. Has anyone heard of Foxy Roxx? Ugh I think they were horrible. They are a hair band with punk elements and sound like a way too happy version of Poison and sound like they are all on some bad ass crack or something.

Also two other bands that I have heard of but not too much of are Pretty Boy Floyd and Tuff. I don't really have an opinion on either of them yet. Gotta hear more of their stuff.

TheGraveDigger: Pretty Boy Floyd and Tuff are both cool :) They are both sound a bit like a heavier, less pop-metal sounding version of Poison (not many bands can be compared to Poison, they sound very unique imo). Tuff having more of a raw hard rock edge and Pretty Boy Floyd having more of a nasty gutter rock sound edge. "Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz" is a classic glam album! If you can find it (it's damn hard to find!), pick it up!

Originally posted by The Trooper
TheGraveDigger: Pretty Boy Floyd and Tuff are both cool :) They are both sound a bit like a heavier, less pop-metal sounding version of Poison (not many bands can be compared to Poison, they sound very unique imo). Tuff having more of a raw hard rock edge and Pretty Boy Floyd having more of a nasty gutter rock sound edge. "Leather Boyz With Electric Toyz" is a classic glam album! If you can find it (it's damn hard to find!), pick it up!
hay grave digger wasnt TUFF the band that had jim gillette (ex nitro lead singer) hay i'm proud owner of 2 new cd's today TRIXTER and PRETTY BOY FLOYD(been looking for a long time for that one) now i'm trying to find a few other ones