Your first hit of metal?

duckattack said:
When I was 8 I owned 3 Kiss 8-tracks - Rock 'n Roll Over, Destroyer, and Gene's solo album - that was in 1978. It wasn't until 4 years later, when I heard Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast, that I turned into a proper metalhead.

Damn! KISS 8-tracks!!!! You're one old bastard..... "Greeno does the math in his head... in 1978 he was 8, that makes me... 1 year older than him....CRAP!"..... Anyway, the only 8-tracks I ever had were also of KISS. I think I still have the Peter Criss solo 8-track in a box around here somewhere. That had to be THE WORST format ever!!!! Remember how sometimes it would have to change "tracks" in the middles of a song?!! AARRRRGGGHHHH!!! A band today should release an 8-track as a publicicty stunt, make their new album available only on 8-track for the first week then release the CD's. :lol: The press would eat it up.

In the late 80s my best mate was really into bands like Europe, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, and Bon Jovi (i used to listen to pop music like Kim Wilde And Bananarama) :erk: . So every time i went round to his house there was always rock music on, and i started to like some of the songs, and i slowly got into hard rock. Then in about 1991 i bought two albums which really got me into HEAVY METAL :- Helloween - Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Judas Priest - Painkiller. Painkiller has been my all time favourite album ever since first hearing it. . . :worship: :hotjump: :headbang: :kickass: :devil: :lol:

I faintly Remember Back in like '85 The First time I heard Ac/Dc's Big Balls That Changed everything forever I knew after that point that Music was my destiny :) ...... Then you skip a few years till I was like 10 when I discovered Metallica Master Of Puppets I had Never Heard Anything like it at that point I was Hoooooooked after that

It wasn´t before 1984, when I was already 16, that I got into metal. Before that, my favourite artists had been Elvis Presley and Abba (and I had also listened to some other pop stuff). Then, in the beginning of 1984, I had bought Pat Benatar´s "Live From Earth Album". Well, the music on this album doesn´t qualify as metal, but many of the live songs were definitely heavier than anything I´d listened to before and I really liked especially the heavier parts on this album. In late spring 1984 I bought Lita Ford´s "Dancin´On The Edge" (after I had seen her on TV with the song "You Gotta Let Go") and I really loved this album way back then. Finally, it must have been somewhere in autumn 1984, I had started listening to the "Monday Rock Show" on BFBS. On one show - I don´t remember if it was the first one I listened to or another one afterwards - they played "Fight Fire With Fire". It was sooo fucking brilliant - like a musical revelation! So on Christmas 1984, I got "Ride The Lightning". I loved this album so much that I listened to it on a nearly daily basis for much more than a year, and if there´s a Metallica-album I still listen to today (though only rarely), it´s this one. (BTW, Metallica were also the first band I saw live - in January 1987 with opening act Metal Church.)
After this experience, I listened nearly exclusively to metal until 1989. There were always new interesting bands to discover: Helloween, Fates Warning, Agent Steel, Anthrax, Megadeth, Helstar, Metal Church, Overkill, Détente, Testament, Voivod, Hades, Heathen, Flotsam & Jetsam, Mekong Delta, Sieges Even, Forbidden, Coroner, Hexenhaus, Candlemass, Anacrusis and some more. Just thinking about these times conjures up feelings of nostalgia. Actually, I´ve never really cared much about the really "big" names in metal, but I was more into speed, thrash, power and some progressive metal. (Well, I still am, though far less than I once used to be, and most of the albums from these genres that I still listen to are from the eighties.) And when Metallica became really big in 1991, I had already lost interest in them. I stopped buying their albums after "...And Justice For All", which hadn´t impressed me much. Ok, "One" is probably one of their best songs, but the sound on "...And Justice..." is too "dry" for my taste and most of the songs just don´t do it for me. And considering how Jason Newsted´s bass had sounded on Flotsam & Jetsam´s "Doomsday For The Deceiver" made this album even more disappointing!
Ok, as this thread is about "Your first hit of metal", I guess I´ve already gone too far now, so I better stop here.
Well, one final word about the year 1991, which was mentioned in some posts: it was also the year in which my favourite metal album of all times was released: "Within The Veil" by Fear Of God.

I heard a band called Prevail when I was 12.. some old Metalcore/death metal band.. anyway, turned me onto the whole metal genre, I have been in love ever since

Wicked Child said:
My very first taste of metal was watching the video for "Enter Sandman" on MTV when i was 7. Now, i didn't get into metal until i was 12, thanks to Metallica. That "...And Justice For All" album changed my life.

jesus i feel old.i remember my band covering enter sandman the week it came out.we brought it,took it to rehersal,and gigged it that weekend.what a laugh.

my first metal was master of puppets in 86,when it came out.a school mate gave me a copy on tape,and i wore it out in about 3 weeks.it ruled like nothing i'd ever heard before.i didnt even know music like that existed.it changed my life. :D :worship:

Burkhard said:
It wasn´t before 1984, when I was already 16, that I got into metal. Before that, my favourite artists had been Elvis Presley and Abba (and I had also listened to some other pop stuff).
Awsome! I was into Beatles and ABBA before bron again into metal ;)

I like the ABBA tribute by metal bands, still so...

My older brother used to be heavily into bands like Deicide, Testament, Cannibal Corpse (they suck though), Slayer, etc... So, I started off with death/thrash metal when I was around the age of 5 or 6. I hate most thrash metal now, though... except for Testament.

For me it was Van Halen back and Ozzy when I was a kid. A year or two later
My Brother had Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell. Then I graduated and found
Metallica/Anthrax/Megadeth/Slayer/Exodus/MOD/SOD/Laaz Rockit/Testament/
Violence/Forbidden/etc/etc/etc.

Greeno said:
Damn! KISS 8-tracks!!!! You're one old bastard..... "Greeno does the math in his head... in 1978 he was 8, that makes me... 1 year older than him....CRAP!"..... Anyway, the only 8-tracks I ever had were also of KISS. I think I still have the Peter Criss solo 8-track in a box around here somewhere. That had to be THE WORST format ever!!!! Remember how sometimes it would have to change "tracks" in the middles of a song?!! AARRRRGGGHHHH!!! A band today should release an 8-track as a publicicty stunt, make their new album available only on 8-track for the first week then release the CD's. :lol: The press would eat it up.
Shit, I wish I still had 'em, though on the other hand it would be a constant struggle between holding onto them for nostalgia, or going for that quick eBay cash! But yeah, easily the worst format ever. Actually, I just picked up a Blondie 'Eat to the Beat' reel-to-reel tape at a secondhand shop for $5, I can't play it, but the packaging on it is pretty cool, not to mention it's in mint condition. The only other 8-tracks I remember having are a K-tel compilation called 'Dimensions' that I got because it had a Billy Squier song on it that I liked, and 'The Story of Star Wars', which I got for x-mas when I was 7 - more eBay cash I lost out on!

For the longest time when I was a kid, I listened to the 80's pop stuff like the B-52's, Thompson Twins, Men At Work, General Public...shit like that. I started to get into Billy Idol a bit and after catching his videos (full of leather-clad vixens), I got into him quite a bit.

I carried on with this for a year or so until catching a Motley Crue video ("Looks That Kill", I believe) and that piqued my interest. One night a friend came to stay the night and brought this big bag full of stuff. "You gotta hear this", he said, as he dumped the contents on the floor. There was indeed a Motley Crue album in the pile of records that stared back up at me.

"Play the Crue!", I begged, and he did.
"Now", he continued, "THIS is what I wanted you to hear..."

He put on Show No Mercy by Slayer and I nearly shit myself from the power of the record compared to anything else I had ever heard. From there he played Venom and Hellhammer and Celtic Frost and it was over.

This is probably why I wasn't too much of a fan of the glam stuff. I went from zero to hell in no time flat. I did get some of the glam, but it was all really rock to me and the heavy stuff was what I really wanted.

Gary Moore's Wild Frontier tour back in 1987 Tokyo and I was 7 years old at that time. That was my first live gig. The very first hard rock/heavy metal experience.

I was crying and saying it's too loud! hahaha.

My first gig in England was fucking Bio Hazard Mata Leao tour in London Astoria 2. Man what a leap. Gary Moore to Bio Hazard!

First heavy metal album purchase was Metallica's self titled black.

Well, Thanks... I Just Wish That I Got Into Metal When Metal, Was Metal In The 80's. But I Was Born In The Eighties(84), So I First Got Into The Shit That Wrecked It, For Example Nirvana, L7, And Sonic Youth, I Should Really Just Stop There Before I Embarss Myself Even More. When I Was 14 I Relized That It Was Untalented Nonsense, That Would Resemble Banging Pots And Pans.

And Of The Almighty Slayer!!!! Was The First To Break Me Out Of Shell, Ahhhhhh, Slayer Always A Favorite.

11-year-old me listening to the alternative/hard rock station primarily for the alternative. Without warning...

tickticktickticktickitytick... bahbah!

Generals gathered in their masseeeees, just like witches in black masses...

THAT was the most AWESOME hit of metal for a wussy alterna-chick.

In 1972 I was 14. Visiting some guy I knew I hear Led Zepplin II playing nextdoor. That was it!! When I was old enough to get me some albums myself I got Zep II and "Night of the Opera" from Queen. I discovered the Dutch music mag OOR. Het guy that did the heavy stuff was Kees Baars.

He introduced me to Rush [Dec 1976] Max Webster's "High Class in Borrowed Shoes" [1977], Riot's Rock City, The first album from Yesterday and Today, Moxy, Triumph, UFO, Scorpions, JUDAS PRIEST!!!, and loads, and I really mean LOADS!!! of other stuff. After that I just slipped naturally into the NWOBHM and the later thrash wave.

when i was 9 my dad said "Boy, you need to get into music. a kid your age is going to start liking music and i'll be damned if i raised a sissy who likes all that pop crap. here's a good album; it was my favorite when i was in high school, now go in your room and dont come out untill you like the damn thing."

he gave me Black Sabbath's Paranoid album. my first ever taste of metal was the song War Pigs. Fairies Wear Boots blew me away and the first time i ever banged my head to metal was to the song Paranoid. Planet Caravan still gives me chills when i hear it.

stangly enough, Black Sabbath's Paranoid is still my all time favorite album... even though i like Dio area Black Sabbath more, Paranoid just struck me so greatly it still is the best.

i cant beleive i'm the first one here to say Black Sabbath. i'm positive that Sabbath got people into metal, couldnt have just been me.

I can blame my Metalness (Metalation? Metalocity?) on two things: Top Of the Pops and my brother. Now I spent the early part of the 80's listening to chart music so naturally I watched TOTP religiously. Which meant that amongst all the jumpsuited muppets I had the occasional encounter with the likes of Twisted Sister and Gillan. The seed was planted..
This is where my brother comes in. Him and all his mates were metalheads and I was constantly exposed to Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Ozzy. I got interested. I started to flick through Kerrang in WH Smiths . Then one day I decided to investigate further and that was it. I had taken the first steps on the righteous path.
Even then I had taste. First three LPs: 2112, Denim and Leather, British Steel.