Recommend me some usable Desktop-Speakers

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I’m moving into a new room next week and I can’t take my monitors with me for now. So I need something for listening to music basically. It wouldn’t harm if I’d be able to judge a mix on them as well but I guess that’s not going to happen. :erk:

Since you can’t really check out this kind of speakers in a crowded store I figured I’d rather rely on recommendations from you guys. If possible they should be small as space is very limited and they should be cheap as well. Budget is around € 30.-, € 40.- at max.

I reckon the Logitech stuff is good, is it?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Never liked Logitech stuff - however, while people (understandably) hate on the company for their absurd prices and ridiculous marketing, I've always really liked the Bose Companion 2's for multimedia speakers!

Never liked Logitech stuff - however, while people (understandably) hate on the company for their absurd prices and ridiculous marketing, I've always really liked the Bose Companion 2's for multimedia speakers!

If you care to go with bad logitech stuff, might as well take these, which will cost less and sound just as good (or bad, but I've never had better speakers/monitors, unfortunately) in my experience : http://www.labtec.com/index.cfm/gear/details/EUR/EN,crid=18,contentid=694,crid2=22

+ Bose = buy other sound equipment :p, though these speakers might be pretty good, but also costy for the performance.

$100 is hardly costly Phil, and if you haven't heard 'em, how can you know the "performance?" ;) And I've never heard a cheap 2.1 setup (meaning, with a sub) that didn't sound like horrible woofy muddy garbage (though the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is pretty badass, though it's $150)

Oh, I didn't recall they were THAT cheap.

If they sound horribly woofy, just turn down the bass on the sub and position all in a nice way, I tell you, my cheap and bat setup doesn't sound really good, but it's not at all horrible woofy muddy garbage.

Well the thing is, turning it down often just makes it feel too thin, so it's hard to strike a balance - that said, I've never heard the model you have, and placement of the sub of course makes a huge difference, so who knows!

Creative GigaWorks T40, i don't heard them;/ but I read some good things about them

I actually used the ones with the single midbass drivers (T20's, maybe) for like 1.5 years, and they're decent, but I like the Companion 2's better (T20's were a bit too artificially extended in the bass). Maybe the T40s are a substantial step up though!

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Seems like I’ll have to get a 2.1-Set if I want any Bass at all. The descriptions for all the Stereo-Sets state that don’t play anything below 80, 90 Hz…
So the Labtec-stuff is alright? I could get the LABTEC pulse 285, 2.1 for € 14,99.

Anything from Bose is way out of my prize-range. Altec Lansing has a lot of systems but none with a sub for an acceptable prize.

You don’t happen to know any of the systems on that list, do you? http://www.ditech.at/itemList.do?cat=225&column=Price&order=ASC&cat=225
(That’s the shop I’m most likely going to buy from.)

Dude, I'd say get a pair of cheap monitor speakers. Even though they're cheap, they're most likely a lot better than desktop speakers twice the price, because they at least try to be better than desktop speakers.

You could, for example, order these from Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/fi/behringer_ms16.htm

Heard some good things about those, for desktop speaker use. You could try getting one of your friends to order something from Thomann in the same order and split the shipping fees.

Bose speakers don't seem to be worth the money, at any rate. At least if you want any bass.

Dude, I'd say get a pair of cheap monitor speakers. Even though they're cheap, they're most likely a lot better than desktop speakers twice the price, because they at least try to be better than desktop speakers.

i dont know for sure, but i would bet decent multimedia speakers would be better if not up to par with cheap/crap monitors.

i al also interested in this topic.

Well, the Behringer-monitors-route seems to be a good idea. Later on I could always use them in the Studio as a 'Boombox-reference'. However those don't play anything below 80 Hz. At least the manual says so. :erk:

I happened to be at a store today and there weren't a whole lot of people in there. So I checked out a few speakers. Well, I know now that everything in my prize-range that doesn't have a sub sounds like absolute shit. The systems that have a sub don't really sound anything better either. It's just shite with bass. :(
There was one Creative system that sounded good but was double my prize-limit.

Thanks for the Recommendation Jeff but I couldn't find a shop that has them around here. :(