Recommend mic for bass recording.

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I've always recorded DI basses and process them by plugins, but hearing the Ampeg sounding so fucking loud and great at the rehearsals and gigs I'm thinking about reamping for the next record through amp, cab and mic...

The problem is that I'm a bit lost in the world of bass micing. We have at the studio plenty of Shures, 57,58,betas, not beta, for oh, kd... and also some Rode NT1 and condenser Behringers.
But are they really good for this or should I hire another mic?

Something with a decent low end extension on it. Doesn't necessarily need to be very hyped. I use LDC's for bass amps sometimes. A I5 or 57 can also be good for adding some brightness.
You could distort the amp with a tubscreamer and mic that with a 57, using the DI for the clean low end. Or you could go the other way round and use the amp for clean lows and the DI for crunchy highs.

That is a KD mic, isn't it?
Therefore I could use the Shure PG52?
Anyone tried KD mics to record bass?

Yeah because it favoured for that frequaincies kick drums and bass share many of the same, last year i recorded a band with a warwick rig and sansamp!
Had a few mics around it like a d112, md421, 57 and then di and sansamp in the mix the 57 and sansamp were all i used....

Very bright and the sansamp provided the low end!

That was the best bass tone ive recorded

record a DI track and use the amp for a dirty sound with a SM57 closmiced( you can recrod another track simultaniously with the condenser a couple of feets away from the cab. Don`t place tha cab in the corner or near the wall. Put it in the center of the room

I love the thomann brand ribbon t bone rb 100 on bass. Really warm and its pretty dark so slots in well with bright guitars. I usually have it a few inches away and stick a pop filter in from the the air movement doesn't cause woofy sounds and/or blow out the ribbon.
I'm also a fan of the Audix D4 on bass. I don't really like the d6 or beta 52 on it though.

a neat trick i learned from this one old-school guy is to mic bass cabs with a good SDC...the smaller capsule moves quicker, which gives better transient response and thus brings THE BOOM

there are lots of great mics for bass cabs.

(if you have the money) AKG 414 and/or Neumann U47 fet <----those are fantastic.

(some mid price mics are) EV RE20, Sennhizer MD421, and the Shure SM7

(for the rest of us broke guys) Shure PG52 will give you killer results. I've done it. and The Mighty SM57 for the grit

The PG 52 has a 'ringing' around 80hz IIRC which can be weird.

You gotta get that concept that a certain mic is for a certain instrument (D112 is a kick drum mic) out of your head.

How to mic anything:
Step 1 - Put a transducer where the good sound comes out.
Step 2 - Listen. If the result is worse than real life then it's the wrong mic. If it sounds good, start recording.
Step 3 - Repeat until you find the right mic or run out of options.

I recorded a doom/stoner band recently with two bassists, no guitarist. Had three bass lines going along alot of the time.

I had 2 SM57's an Audix i5 and a D6 and an AT4033a. They all bring different flavors, with the 57 actually providing most of the low end.

On my bands album I used a 421 and a 57. 421 sounded great. Lot of tight low end, and midrange punch.